IGNORED

Shorty antennas

See the following article (Marshall mod)...

http://bludolphintravel.com/gmg/marshallmod.htm

These are not the very short antennas but at 3', its better than the stock ones. I have not done this but the setup is reported to work very well.

There is an article in our tech section for conversion to a single antenna as well.

[ame=http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=11486]Conversion to Single Antenna - VentureRider.Org[/ame]

Ross

The single antenna tech article Ross mentioned is basically an illustrated version of the Marshall Mod plus.

I've seen 2' antennas at truck stops, but I went with the 3' Firefly because of it's superior reputation. While I can't hear the output, I'm told my single Firefly system works quite well.

Some folks prefer the look of dual antennas, even though that is a less efficient antenna configuration. If that's the case for you, just build an antenna/base on each side. In the end, a lot of this is a matter of taste. Most of us seem to use the CB to talk to folks we're riding with, so a truly high output system isn't really necessary.

If you have questions, ask. If you find a good quality folder, please pass the word.

My mind (?) told me my RSV looked like a salmon fishing outrigger with those unsightly antennas whipping in the wind! I don't use my CB so that was a no brainer,,,just take the antenna off,,,that I did,,,I'm just getting used to a radio/mp3 so the radio feature was something I wanted to use but,,"NO" antenna,,,,I removed the antenna, re-routed the cable up thru the drain plug in the trunk. I then took about 3ft of #10 copper wire, connected it to the cable, curled it around the inside bottom of the trunk, secured it with "hot glue", replaced the foam rubber and voi'la , I have radio...if one wanted CB sans the antenna for 'GROUP" riding, you could do the same thing as long as you use the loading coil. I would use #10 copper wire again "with" the loading coil and attach it to the underside of the lid of the trunk.....my bike now looks "normal" (for whatever that means). Sorry,,, I just hate those dang antennas.....

Renne

My mind (?) told me my RSV looked like a salmon fishing outrigger with those unsightly antennas whipping in the wind! I don't use my CB so that was a no brainer,,,just take the antenna off,,,that I did,,,I'm just getting used to a radio/mp3 so the radio feature was something I wanted to use but,,"NO" antenna,,,,I removed the antenna, re-routed the cable up thru the drain plug in the trunk. I then took about 3ft of #10 copper wire, connected it to the cable, curled it around the inside bottom of the trunk, secured it with "hot glue", replaced the foam rubber and voi'la , I have radio...if one wanted CB sans the antenna for 'GROUP" riding, you could do the same thing as long as you use the loading coil. I would use #10 copper wire again "with" the loading coil and attach it to the underside of the lid of the trunk.....my bike now looks "normal" (for whatever that means). Sorry,,, I just hate those dang antennas.....

Renne

I did the same thing with my FM antenna. Using the formula 468/f, you come up with a 1/4 wave length of 20.8 inches. Thats the length of unshielded wire needed at the end of the coax. I coiled mine inside the passenger back rest. Works just fine.

Hey Owen,,,,"right" on,,, When I said about 3ft,,I didn't think there were too many tech's out there that would understand 1/4 wave freq. formulas....NICE! Annaways,,,,works just fine and like I said,,NO "GOOFY" antennas .:680:

Renne

Looking for some nice shorty antennas for my '04. Anyone have any suggestions were to get some nice ones that actually work fairly well?

I just replaced my stock antennas mainly due to the CB antenna broke off. I went with the Marshall Mod Firestik's. They are not shorter but I like the dual look and they are almost the same height as the stock -1.5" and they are black to match the Midnight Venture. I purchased everything from Wolcott CB. Info listed under the Mod. I didn't use the 12 pre-made cable for the radio, just put another connector on the cable when I removed stock AM/FM antenna. Also as you see in my pics, I used some 90degree elbow Pl-259 connectors to give the bend, and re-used the stock rubber cover. Everything works fine, install was easy, had some help from our fellow VR members (Vance and Owen)who attended a maint day this last Saturday at Kbay's house.

Venture 2G Original Marshall Mod Dual kit

w/Valor Fold over (Old Style)

2 FL3B Firestik "Firefly" Antenna

2 203EZ - Fold Over Adapter Item: 203EZ

2 StudMount -#JBC930 - Oversize

1 18" 18SMMPL Pre-made Coax Cable (CB)

1 128XMOTO29 RG-8X 12' Pre-made Coax Cable (AM/FM)

I did the same thing with my FM antenna. Using the formula 468/f, you come up with a 1/4 wave length of 20.8 inches. Thats the length of unshielded wire needed at the end of the coax. I coiled mine inside the passenger back rest. Works just fine.

So I know nothing about what you're talking..well I know what unshielded copper wire is...I think...anyway...if one were to use, say, twice that amount (20.8" x 2) would I get better reception?

I removed my CB antenna and would like to remove my radio antenna since the old one broke and I have this crummy, universal, replacement antenna. I extends and retracts but is still a pain when using my bike cover.

I'm a little rusty on this subject but I think I'm right for what I'm saying.

First of all if you are talking about the CB radio, to be quarter wave you need to be

11 meters divided by 4 equals about 3 meters or 9 feet. The old antennas we use to

have for cb's were resonant at about 102 inches because of the spring etc.

As far as the public radio you want to be resonant at a frequency on the AM band for

max reception, the FM side just has to deal with it. Most people don't listen to AM much

so we want an antenna that works best on the FM side. Most anything works and the larger

the better, more skin effect (wire surface) the better. Is the FM public broadcast really

quarter wave at 20 inches? Sounds kind of short but I'm just winging it here.

Of course there's always a chance of me being full of crap.....

BOO

Boo, Your right! Man did you wake up "OLD" memories,,,ha! One of the first CB'rs in my home town,,,get this for a "call sign" 19QA0293 (1960)......Yes,,whips w/ spring were 102" and critical to maintain "0" SWR.....as far as FM...REALLY!!! not that big of a deal! Just estimate the length using your existing "stainless" "fishing pole" antenna on the bike and cut a piece of #10 copper...etc etc....come on,,,,not that "brainy"! :97:

Renne

Every thread has a spoiler, this one its me, I love the antenna's, i think a bike with a single looks odd, and without looks like something missing, 2 antenna and the taller the better.

gregg:2cents:

I'm with you Footsie, I love the double whips on my RSV! So there all you haters :nanner:

Same here I love mine as well.. I didn't install the fold down hardware though, I now roll my bike into the heated garage so I don't have to bother with fold downs..

The hardware listed in the projects here felt waaaaay too lose and caused some vibration, so I removed those and fixed attached the mounts as is.. After 500 miles or more, there is no problem with this install and though I 'manually adjusted my SWR without meter' it all works awesome..

And since the bike is a Midnight, it looks dang good too.. I'm gonna black shrink wrap the chrome hardware this winter.. to give it that nice blackened look as well.

Somewhere in my building I just "might" have a pair of old 8ft CB whips from the 60's iff'in ya like em real tall!:hurts:

Renne

Thanks, but I have several from my offshore boats around my shop, Have one I don't think the bike would pull. It's 3 inches at the base and 24 FOOT tall.

Gregg

Thanks, but I have several from my offshore boats around my shop, Have one I don't think the bike would pull. It's 3 inches at the base and 24 FOOT tall.

Gregg

There for a second, I thought you might have a 1st Gen till I saw your profile. That would have explained not being able to pull it!:hihi:

Renne

Just a question regarding coiling the wire.

Since you are predicating the length of the wire based on the wave length, doesn't coiling the wire no longer give you the effective length to interface with the wave length?

If your calculated wave length is 20.8 inches, it would seem you would need a straight piece of wire that length.

Making, say, an 8" coil would now only fully interface with a shorter wave length.

Not to mention coiling wire is like a resistor to an attenuated signal.

I could be wrong, been three decades since I worked with this stuff in the Marines.

:confused07::confused07::confused07:

Gary

Coiling the wire will make a difference but only minor. You are not dealing with a transmitter where you have to be really particular. If we were, we would also have to consider the velocity factor of the coax. A straight vertical wire would be ideal but really not necessary in this case. Just make the coil as large as practical. I simply attach the coax to the radio, route it to the location where I want to put the 'coil', strip the outer cover off, then the shielding. Measure out 20.8 inches and cut the center conductor at that point. 20.8 inches should be resonate at 101 on your fm dial. (468/f=1/2 wavelength divided by 2 = 1/4 wavelength antenna.)

Just a question regarding coiling the wire.

Since you are predicating the length of the wire based on the wave length, doesn't coiling the wire no longer give you the effective length to interface with the wave length?

If your calculated wave length is 20.8 inches, it would seem you would need a straight piece of wire that length.

Making, say, an 8" coil would now only fully interface with a shorter wave length.

Not to mention coiling wire is like a resistor to an attenuated signal.

I could be wrong, been three decades since I worked with this stuff in the Marines.

:confused07::confused07::confused07:

Gary

Smely, don't you wish you could just unscrew the original antennea, buy the shorter stix and screw them on! This mod stuff is for the birds. LOL! I think I'll just keep my whips.

Wish I were still in the Caribbean!

Yeah, you know me Bobby, that's kinda what I was hoping for. I just knew freebird was going to send me a link that said, go hear and buy them and they fit on right where the stock ones were. I might look into those fireflies.

I was looking for some shorter ones like Snap put on his Holly though.:think:

Edited by Smely

I was looking for some shorter ones like Snap put on his Holly though.:think:

Just my :2cents:. I put 3 foot antennas on mine, but now I wish I had put 4 foot on on it. Reason being the top tip on the left one is just at the right height that I have thought several times when I got off and walked to the trunk, "that could snag my glasses and/or poke me in the eye".:Avatars_Gee_George: