IGNORED

New imac

kbran

Not getting much forum reading done, to busy playing with a new imac. Just purchased at Bestbuy and wow this thing is fast. My old computer crapped out again and I went looking for something cheap and since I was already considering a mac, let the salesman talk me into it. So far I realy like, still learning though.

I will be in the market for a new computer after the first of the year. You guys have me thinking Dell may not be getting my business. :scratchchin:

If I may hijack this thread for a minute or ten. Can Mac systems run Office software or similar software? Can Mac run Microsoft programs?

I have never had any dealings with Mac, but the thought of not worrying about virus and spyware protection sounds VERY appealing.

Any insight you guys can offer would be much appreciated.

Dave

Switch to Mac back in '99 and never have any anti virus software installed. That '99 Power Mac G4 still works, never do any upgrade just rock saled.

Isn't that rock salad a little hard on the teeth?

I will be in the market for a new computer after the first of the year. You guys have me thinking Dell may not be getting my business. :scratchchin:

If I may hijack this thread for a minute or ten. Can Mac systems run Office software or similar software? Can Mac run Microsoft programs?

I have never had any dealings with Mac, but the thought of not worrying about virus and spyware protection sounds VERY appealing.

Dave

I've been using PCs all my life, and I have yet to have a virus on any of my computers...

Dave if you are looking to run Microsoft software (such as office, etc.), it IS possible for Macs to run them. You do need to buy the Mac version of the software. There have been some issues in the past with compatibility of the files from Mac to PC and vise-versa. I have personally experienced these issues as I will routinely get assignments submitted from students that use Macs that will not open on my computer. I realize that there are various settings and whatnot that can be setup so that this does not happen very often, but it still does occur. With that said, Macs do have their own host of problems... Just ask someone that has had a mac that crashed on them how much data they were able to recover after the crash. The answer will likely be none of it.

Macs and PCs each have their own upsides and downsides - the best thing you can do is keep your data backed up and enjoy what you've got!!

Back on topic:

Congrats on the new computer!! :) Some people love then, some people hate them. Quite frankly, if it does what you want it to do - and you are happy with it, then it is the computer for you :thumbsup2:

Edited by LilBeaver
Leave it to me to harass someone for seplling errors :-P

Guest tx2sturgis

Dave

Go here:

http://www.apple.com/getamac/faq/

Dave, the short answer is: Yes.

As far as recovering data...thats an interesting answer Rick. Truth is, EVERYONE should have backups no matter WHAT hardware they run. Period. Macs have a few ways to recover from a hard drive crash, just like Windows machines do. If a user had no backup, and was not aware of recovery techniques ( think TARGET mode), then sure, they could lose a lot of data. I have my important data spread across 4 hard discs in case of a failure. Unlikely that all 4 would crash at the same time...and of course there is also offsite backup like Carbonite.

And yes, occasionally there are some compatibility issues...every now and then someone will email me something that I cant open...but its usually some joke or website that macs dont like...every now and then its a simple file ( created by some obscure windows application) that a mac doesnt recognize...oh well. I still like it on the 'bleeding' edge. Running down a different path should be comfy for anyone who rides a Venture or TD, after all. Nice ride..but not well known or accepted outside the HD or Honda 'click'.

There is no reason NOT to switch, and with prices of the Mac Mini down below $1000, and around $400 on ebay, there is no reason you cant make the switch to a Mac if you want to.

If you havent looked at Mac Refurbs...here ya go: http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac?mco=MTM3NTA4Mzc

You'll spend nothing on antivirus software, and the Mac will be a viable computer for years to come. I'm on my fourth year on my mac, and if the damn thing would just break, I'd go buy another one!

Edited by tx2sturgis

:bang head: Never ever ever buy a Dell. Dell designs there puters so that there really not upgradable. Sure you can add some memory and stuff but the mother board is designed so ya cant upgrade processor, therefore making it a disposable unit in 5 years or so. I will never Buy Dell again even if they changed this, and maybe they have cuz I havnt bought one in the last 5 years. But I seriously doubt it, Just my 2 cents

:bang head: Never ever ever buy a Dell. Dell designs there puters so that there really not upgradable. Sure you can add some memory and stuff but the mother board is designed so ya cant upgrade processor, therefore making it a disposable unit in 5 years or so. I will never Buy Dell again even if they changed this, and maybe they have cuz I havnt bought one in the last 5 years. But I seriously doubt it, Just my 2 cents

so what's the big deal about that? ya just slip a different motherboard in. Fact is, motherboards, no matter who makes 'em... can only take certain processors.

oh, and who keeps their PC longer than 5 years nowadays anyway ... by then, ever one of them is outdated a couple times over LOL

Isn't that rock salad a little hard on the teeth?

Macs and PCs each have their own upsides and downsides - the best thing you can do is keep your data baked up and enjoy what you've got!!

Had to getcha on this one Rick ... baked?? ... you BAKE your data?? :witch_brew: :rotf: :rotf:

To each his or her own but just to give the other side of the story, not EVERYBODY likes the Mac. I bought into the hype several years ago and bought an IMac. Probably had it for about a year before I realized that I truly hated it. Never gave up my PC but used the Mac often enough to make sure it wasn't just because I hadn't gotten used to it. The fact is, I simply hated pretty much everything about it and it finally ended up being just an ugly paper weight. Sold it and was glad to see it go. :)

Guest tx2sturgis
To each his or her own but just to give the other side of the story, not EVERYBODY likes the Mac. I bought into the hype several years ago and bought an IMac. Probably had it for about a year before I realized that I truly hated it. Never gave up my PC but used the Mac often enough to make sure it wasn't just because I hadn't gotten used to it. The fact is, I simply hated pretty much everything about it and it finally ended up being just an ugly paper weight. Sold it and was glad to see it go. :)

True. Different strokes for different folks. But todays Macs are intel-based, just like a PC...(you might have had a power-pc mac)....and you can load Windows on it and run Windows fulltime if you truly hate the Mac OS.

The hardware is pretty robust. Apple's quality controls are hard to beat...I didnt say they are perfect. But since the OS is specially made for the hardware, there is a pretty good working relationship between them.

Anyone who is contemplating a Mac really should visit a friend who runs one and sit down for a while and try it out. Same thing would apply to any major purchase.

:2cents:

Had to getcha on this one Rick ... baked?? ... you BAKE your data?? :witch_brew: :rotf: :rotf:

Everyone bakes there data now and again. I prefer baked over fried... haven't you ever fried a pooter? In fact, I recall not too long ago YOU frying one up there....

Good catch, by the way... So much for me being a smart ***... Well, maybe what I was doing was setting it up for you Rick... yea, we'll go with that - it was planned. :rasberry:

Having begun my compu-journey on a PC, I had all the typical issues with virus's, crashes and just overall unreliability. Listened to some Mac-heads and was encouraged with what I was hearing so went with an I-Mac about 8 years ago. Much like someone else stated, you do have issues with maybe less availability of some stuff (Like the Venture or TD) however even that is less a problem than before. I will say this the simplicity of the machine coupled with the secure and solid OS have sold me and though I hate the raised $ of their stuff I chalk it up to getting what you pay for. That said I still feel that the whole confidence in your equipement along with confidence in your ability to utilize it is the key to happy compu-day's. Additionally I do a lot of graphics and arts stuff and Mac's tend to be a step ahead there.

Everyone bakes there data now and again. I prefer baked over fried... haven't you ever fried a pooter? In fact, I recall not too long ago YOU frying one up there....

Good catch, by the way... So much for me being a smart ***... Well, maybe what I was doing was setting it up for you Rick... yea, we'll go with that - it was planned. :rasberry:

heh .... it's not an exclusive club and I know for a fact there's more than one "Rick" in it :rotf:

btw, my son's name is Rick too .... (actually he goes by Rich or Richie) and he's definately in that "club" hahaha

Dave

Well, you can run MS Office for the Mac or you can run OpenOffice which is an open source office suite that opens and writes MS Office docs or you can run iWorks which is Apples office suite. I personally use iWorks and OpenOffice.

... With that said, Macs do have their own host of problems... Just ask someone that has had a mac that crashed on them how much data they were able to recover after the crash. The answer will likely be none of it.

Macs and PCs each have their own upsides and downsides - the best thing you can do is keep your data backed up and enjoy what you've got!!

Well if you fail to maintain backups then well you're going to lose data no matter what OS you are using. OS X has Time Machine built in which lets you easily back up your data. I did have my hard drive on my Mac Book Pro fail and when I got my computer back, I plugged in my Time Machine drive and restored all of my data. Very little other work to be done.