Hi Folks.....I just got a 83 Venture Royale about a month ago. In the process of putting it up for the winter I removed the battery today. It is a walmart Energizer branded battery with a sensor on it. I have never owned a bike that used one of these sensors before and I have a couple of questions about it. It seems to be part of the battery and I don't want to break it by trying to pull it off....when I replace the battery should it be removed and installed on the new one or does a replacement battery already have one with it? Also can I use a replacement battery without a sensor? I've included a pic below. Thanks in advance.....

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s33/Tarl-Saxon/100_0401.jpg

Blair,

Some of the batteries that you can use to replace the one in your bike will have the hole for the sensor. Many of them will not as they are sealed types. There is a mod should you get one of the batteries that doesn't have the hole so it will not show up on your computer screen. No worries either way, the biggest thing is to get the correct battery for your application.

Here is the write up in the tech library

[ame=http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=489]http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=489[/ame]

The sensor is to let you know that the water level is low and will trigger the battery icon on the CMS in the center of your dash. If you replace the battery with another water battery, it may have a hole to put the sensor in, which just pulls out of the old one. If you choose to go to a gel type battery, which I suggest, you will need to put a resistor in the line to keep the icon from blinking. There is a write up on this.

RandyA

:nanner:

I think it was Alstate Batteries that used to include the sensor with their batteries.

Hey Skid who was it?

But when it comes time to replace it a Glass_Mat may be the way to go.

Battery questions almost as bad as oil questions!!:rotfl:

If you get a new battery that does not have the orifice for the sensor (as mine did...sealed battery), you can wire an in-line resistor from the negative (right) side of the accessory terminal on your main fuse box to your sensor (requires you to cut the sensor from the wire). This will trick the CMS into thinking you still have a sensor and will keep the idiot light off (at least for the battery icon). I used a 2.2K ohm resistor from Radio Shack.

Here's a detailed step-by-step instructions on doing the resistor mod:

http://www.cast-aways.com/yamahabatt.htm

The only two things I did different was I used only the 2.2K resistor (the 1K resistor wasn't needed) and I soldiered on an eyelet which I connected in with the screw for the accessory side (as shown in the picture below).

picture.php?albumid=546&pictureid=3384

Hope this helps!

Hi Folks..... I have never owned a bike that used one of these sensors before and I have a couple of questions about it. It seems to be part of the battery and I don't want to break it by trying to pull it off....when I replace the battery should it be removed and installed on the new one or does a replacement battery already have one with it? Also can I use a replacement battery without a sensor? I've included a pic below. Thanks in advance.....

You have already got lots of good advice. What may not be clear is that the sensor is like a plug that fits snugly into a hole in the battery casing with an inch long prong that dips into the acid unless the acid level is too low, in which case the battery light comes on. Same happens obviously if the sensor is removed by simply pulling it out of the battery, which you can do.

• 2 months later...

To answer your original question:

The sensor will pull out. Some new batteries (YUASA) come with them, others come with a plug in the hole. If the new battery comes without a sensor you can move your old one (although I suppose they do eventually go bad).

Hay Tarl.

If you want a good battery here is a web site to go to . I got the battery a few months ago and love it. It has 330 cca's and the engine starts up really easy. No more cranking and cranking on it. Even when it was cold out side it gave no problems. You might consider changing the battery cables also. Will prevent problems in the future.

Deka: ETX18L - Battery Service Corporation

Hey Tarl.

Amen on the DEKA ETX 18L AGM battery. If you haven't bought one yet check out this thread for information on it compared to the Odessy.

Several of the guys here have bought these and I think I can speak for all of us.......the best you can get.

The DEKA being an AGM it is a 12.8 volt battery. Heavy duty case and extra side posts for extra power leads. Makes for a clean install. Mine has been sitting on a shelf in the basement since before XMas and still is reading 12.8 volts at 96 % charge. Haven't hooked a tender to it yet. The CCA make this a great battery for the VRs.

You will see some comments in that thread from Josh at:

http://www.bohannonbattery.com/html/deka.html

He supplied mine and several other guys and I think it was about $82.95 including shipping. It is proabley the best battery I have ever bought and for the money......you won't find a better one.

Did I mention I really like this battery?

Mike

Hay Tarl.

If you want a good battery here is a web site to go to . I got the battery a few months ago and love it. It has 330 cca's and the engine starts up really easy. No more cranking and cranking on it. Even when it was cold out side it gave no problems. You might consider changing the battery cables also. Will prevent problems in the future.

Deka: ETX18L - Battery Service Corporation

Or do like me and go to a full size car battery and 4ga cables.

When I was using an liquid acid battery and purchased a new one the new battery never had a hole for the sensor so I just miked the base of the sensor and drilled a hole in the top of the battery and stuck it in and it always worked fine. Since then I bought an Odyssey battery and have been very happy with it. The bike sits out in the weather all winter and come spring it starts right up. The newer battery that people are using now was not available when I bought the Odyssey but the next time I need a battery I'll try one of them.

Dick

When I was using an liquid acid battery and purchased a new one the new battery never had a hole for the sensor so I just miked the base of the sensor and drilled a hole in the top of the battery and stuck it in and it always worked fine. Dick

I did the same and my liquid acid battery is still working just fine. However, I expect to replace that battery this season with a Deka battery. Any reason why the drilled hole trick for the sensor wouldn't work with this new battery?

I did the same and my liquid acid battery is still working just fine. However, I expect to replace that battery this season with a Deka battery. Any reason why the drilled hole trick for the sensor wouldn't work with this new battery?

The Deka and the Odyssey battery have no liquid electrolyte. They are a gel of some sort.

Dick

• 4 weeks later...
Hey Tarl.

Amen on the DEKA ETX 18L AGM battery. If you haven't bought one yet check out this thread for information on it compared to the Odessy.

Several of the guys here have bought these and I think I can speak for all of us.......the best you can get.

The DEKA being an AGM it is a 12.8 volt battery. Heavy duty case and extra side posts for extra power leads. Makes for a clean install. Mine has been sitting on a shelf in the basement since before XMas and still is reading 12.8 volts at 96 % charge. Haven't hooked a tender to it yet. The CCA make this a great battery for the VRs.

You will see some comments in that thread from Josh at:

http://www.bohannonbattery.com/html/deka.html

He supplied mine and several other guys and I think it was about $82.95 including shipping. It is proabley the best battery I have ever bought and for the money......you won't find a better one.

Did I mention I really like this battery?

Mike

I ordered a Deka ETX 18L from a supplier up here near Toronto just today. $156 CAN......a bit more pricey up here but I'm sure it will be well worth it. Thanks for the info.

Edited by Tarl

Hey Tarl.

Even at that price you won't be disapointed. Just put mine back the the bike last weekend and it was only down to 95% after sitting since the second week of December.

I keep a couple of spare lead/acids for bench testing and store several batteries for friends over the winter. I rotate a tender to the weakest one and check them every couple of weeks. The Deka AGM was the ONLY one that never needed a charge in all that time. Gave it a couple of hours charge at 2 amps and it was back to 100%. Shows 12.8 volts every morning and 100% charged when tested.

It's only a year old but it had a tough season with my starting problems ast year but I've never had a lead/acid show this strong after a year of use.

Happy cranking.

Mike

Are you asking about drilling a hole in the Deka battery or putting the resistor in the line to take care of the CMS icon?

RandyA

• 4 weeks later...

I just installed one of these DEKA batteries this morning. I have to say, the wet-cell Yuasa that was in there outlasted any MC batt I've had before. Usually here in the desert they are good for 3 years or so. I bought my Venture about 4 years ago, and the PO is a friend who had it 6 months, and neither of us installed this battery.

But all good things come to an end, and though it never outright failed on me, it was getting really tired. Some mornings recently I had to pull the hood and put the charger on it 'cause it was too sluggish to start and needed just a bit of extra OOMPH. I was lucky and this never happened at work at the end of the day (no batt charger here!) I ordered this Deka battery, received it lickity-split (4 days or so), fully charged. The bike cranks like a mad dog now - very nice. Now it has to stand the test of time. And I need to wire in that 2.2k resistor.

Jeremy