IGNORED

Weird wear on new tire...what is it?

jonsmyth

I bought an expensive Metzler tire for my rear end. It has about 1500 miles on it. I noticed it has some weird wear on the ends of the tread patterns that are unique to this tire... Maybe it is a design flaw.

I have run it with the reccommended 32 lbs the whole time....

Thanks!

[ATTACH]38355[/ATTACH]

I bought an expensive Metzler tire for my rear end. It has about 1500 miles on it. I noticed it has some weird wear on the ends of the tread patterns that are unique to this tire... Maybe it is a design flaw.

I have run it with the reccommended 32 lbs the whole time....

Thanks!

[ATTACH]38355[/ATTACH]

I have the ME880 on my RSV. I think thats the model in your photo. Not sure if the requirements are the same for 1st gen but I run 38 lbs in mine. 40 when I ride two up.

Also, you may want to check for other threads on this tire. I understand some have had some problems with this model. (the ME880) check to see if yours was made in Germany or Brazil. I think it's the Brazil model that has the problems.

Interesting wear. Might be normal scuffs.

You're pressure is too low. With a premium tire you run the tire manufacturers pressure, not the one in your owners manual. Go to the Metzeler web site and look up your bike in the fitment guide. I bet you come up with 40-46lbs (depending on if you're riding 2 up).

2 up heavily loaded at too low a pressure is quick death to an ME880.

Aw heck, I looked it up for you. They don't list the 84 anymore, but on the MKII they list 44psi rear 36psi front. For 2 up I'd go 50 and 42.

Check out these threads on the Mets...seems some folks really have bad luck with them... Better yet just search "Metzler"

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=37295&highlight=Metzler

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=26036&highlight=Metzler

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=20628&highlight=Metzler

Thats enough to scare me.

Check out these threads on the Mets...seems some folks really have bad luck with them... Better yet just search "Metzler"

Thats enough to scare me.

Well, you probably want to spell it the right way too: "Metzeler"

For an effective search, you probably want to try both ways, since the vast majority of users misspell the name.

Goose

Everyone has been very nice on this thread. Normally when you mention a Metzeler tire on here its gets nasty. Most members doesn't like Metzelers, and several members has had lots of problems wth them coming part at highway speeds. It has caused a few accidents. Definately add the air, 38 pounds is too low. Inspect and watch the tread closely before riding. I have Metzelers on my bike now because they came on the bike, but that is going to change before spring riding season starts....:2cents:

I've put over 100000 miles on metzlers. In fact, I was a beta tester way back when on the current ML2 880. I've never even had a flat with them.

I run 44 PSI on my rear ME880. I have worn a few of them out, without any problems.

I really liked the ME88 on the 750 Maxim, I got 40,000 Km out of the rear tire. :2cents:

I have had two Metzler 880s on the rear of my bike. The first one split inside the tread at about 5000 miles. When I showed this to the Cycle Clenic the first question they had was, what pressure have you been running. When I told them I was following the sticker in the trunk the guy about fell over. After changing the tire to my second 880 he told me to run it at 50psi period, one up, two up whatever, run it at 50psi. I have been doing that and watching the tire very close and now have over 7000 miles on this one and it still looks close to new.

Edited by DavidD