IGNORED

Amazing! Loud Howl in rear end totally GONE

Guys! I removed my rear wheel. I cleaned all the old grease off. I applied the Honda 60 Moly. I pulled the pumpkin, and the driveshaft. The driveshaft was bone DRY on the engine end, but not damaged. Some wear, but looked ok. A little wet on the pumpkin end- guess my seal is rotten. I liberally applied the moly on both ends. I pulled the cir-clip off the rear wheel and the dampner pins were BONE DRY, some surface rust, but not pitting. I lubed all of them.

I reassembled the whole kabudle and tested it at 85mph. NO Roar! All I could hear when I pulled in the clutch was WIND! There is a tiny bit of whine (barely audible at 55 and about 35 mph). All I hear is the slight muffle of exhaust coming through my worn out sleeves on the mufflers where they meet the pipes. I even love hearing the chirping!

I can't believe how this worked out, You People are AMAZING....

Great Balls of Fire- THANKS!!!!!

:cool10::rotfl::rotf::337::parrots::rudolf::2cents:

On my '84 I thought I had a rear wheel bearing going bad. You could really feel a good vibration in the rear grab bars and a pretty good click when it was up on the stand and spinning the rear wheel.

I pulled it apart and stripped it all down and found the dampner pins were pretty well stuck. Got it apart and gave it the emory treatment and lubed the pins up and put it back on. No more clicking, no more vibration.

When those pins ain't slippin you just ain't getting the full effect.

Glad you got her fixed up.

Mike

I wnet out for a ride today. 38 deg when I left and 40 deg upon return. I rode with the PGR group with mostly HD's. No noise from my bike couse I could only hear the HD's. In fact, I could not hear that I killed mine on start cause I did not hear the revs. An what is it with reving the HD's in the tunnels and overpasses? I could barley hear the radio.

I wnet out for a ride today. 38 deg when I left and 40 deg upon return. I rode with the PGR group with mostly HD's. No noise from my bike couse I could only hear the HD's. In fact, I could not hear that I killed mine on start cause I did not hear the revs. An what is it with reving the HD's in the tunnels and overpasses? I could barley hear the radio.

Just Harley's doing what Harley's do best... make noise!

And I'm guilty of it too. MANY years ago I had a girl tell me that she could hear my Sportster for almost 3 minutes after I left her house... and I was running 65-70mph the entire time.

I don't like nearly as much noise now. 'Bout decided that I don't even want the RK muffs on my RSV.

An what is it with reving the HD's in the tunnels and overpasses? I could barley hear the radio.

yeah... I started a thread once about revvin and crackin the throttle and blappin the pipes .... couldn't understand why guys did that ... seemed to be no reason to me....

..... until I drilled out my RK's .... :sign20: :sign20:

• 7 months later...

My '08 RSTD has developed a tremendous loud whine while I was on a recent road trip 2000 miles from home. It didn't seem to effect the bike's performance so I pushed on and eventually made it home. When I took the bike to the dealer, they tell me that they've never seen anything like this, but without taking the rear end apart (where the noise seems to come from) they think that I have a bad pinion gear or bearings. The noise is only present when I am using the throttle and it goes away completely if I get off the throttle. It is present in all gears and it appears to get louder and change in pitch the faster I go. This is not the clutch basket whine that we've heard so much about. I have that also, but it's a pretty minor thing. How did your noise present itself? If you want to contact me directly my email is gheather@bellsouth.net. Thanks. Gerry

Guys! I removed my rear wheel. I cleaned all the old grease off. I applied the Honda 60 Moly. I pulled the pumpkin, and the driveshaft. The driveshaft was bone DRY on the engine end, but not damaged. Some wear, but looked ok. A little wet on the pumpkin end- guess my seal is rotten. I liberally applied the moly on both ends. I pulled the cir-clip off the rear wheel and the dampner pins were BONE DRY, some surface rust, but not pitting. I lubed all of them.

I reassembled the whole kabudle and tested it at 85mph. NO Roar! All I could hear when I pulled in the clutch was WIND! There is a tiny bit of whine (barely audible at 55 and about 35 mph). All I hear is the slight muffle of exhaust coming through my worn out sleeves on the mufflers where they meet the pipes. I even love hearing the chirping!

I can't believe how this worked out, You People are AMAZING....

Great Balls of Fire- THANKS!!!!!

:cool10::rotfl::rotf::337::parrots::rudolf::2cents: