IGNORED

Dumb property owners with mowers

dynodon

I was leading a group of about 15 bikes this last weekend on a fall river/color (late, few leaves left on the trees, this is important) tour and ran into the results of a dumb property owner.

I had done a pre-ride the night before, so we were on the road less than 20 hours after it was deemed clean and safe.

Rounded a turn on a particularly curvy section (thus, this road is probably a favorite of bikes all summer long, even though I had just discovered it 20 hours before!) and found the ENTIRE LANE cover at least 2" thick with leaves. Luckily, even though I had run the road, I didn't know it that well, and was going pretty slow (leading) and I got on the CB (most riders had CB and we had been communicating all along) because a hand or foot signal would not be seen by other than the one bike behind me and he was already in the leaves!

The leaves were dry thank goodness or it could have been worse.

After I realized I was going to make it, and the alert had been sent, I looked and saw that the ditch was perfectly clean on that side of the road. Well howdy! How nice of the property owner to intentionally make a road dangerous just so a ditch (that wasn't even in front of the house, but well off to the side) could be clean.

In thinking about it in the 36 or so hours since, I have come to the conclusion that this owner did this intentionally, putting the leaves in the road right after a curve to wreck some motorcycles or less likely, to slow and wreck some cars.

He almost succeeded with our group, but since I was slow to begin with, only one bike without CB had a wiggle and everyone made it through safe. I was embarrassed, even though there was nothing I could have done to avoid the situation that I could think of, short of pre-riding the route 10 minutes before, and even then it wouldn't be a sure thing! We were single file, at a very reasonable speed, below the speed limit, and spaced pretty well. Those things saved us some skin and chrome I am sure.

One last thought, I am tempted to call the county police and report this homeowner. I am sure there is some rule about debris being thrown on public roads. I own a bit of property that fronts a city street, and won't throw grass clippings or leaves on the road or over the curb. I see this all the time in the country though, and it ticks me off every time, even if I am in a car, because I am always thinking bike safety.

This happened in Illinois, any Illinois police (or other police) have thoughts on reporting this property owner?

This happened in Illinois, any Illinois police (or other police) have thoughts on reporting this property owner?

I hate to say this because inconsiderate folks like this really tic me off too - for safety reasons; but you will likely not get anywhere with any type of reporting of this incident. While it may be against the local laws and ordinances there is little that can be done. At most, since no one was injured, it may be a small fine or a brief lecture. BUT, one would have to prove that there was intent and that the home owner did it themselves (or be able to pinpoint the person responsible to deal with the appropriate individual), or even just be caught in the act.

My honest opinion is to not waste the law enforcement's time with something like this. I realize that what the folks may have done (and with the way you describe the looks of it all, it is likely that they took a blower to their lawn, but there is no way to prove it one way or another) was very inconsiderate and a definite safety issue but since no one was injured I would suggest to just let it go.

Just my :2cents:.

By the way, I am in Texas now but I worked for a P.D. in Illinois for a couple of years.

A dozen trucks full of leaves, dumped on the lawn at 1 AM.

A sign at their driveway " Leaf and Yard Debris Dumping Here".

Everyone go back with their leaf blowers and put the leaves back where they came from.

I know, stupid ideas... but wouldn't it feel good to be as stupid as some of the people that we have to deal with? Nahhhhh, not really. :no-no-no:

But I do agree that an "official" should be contacted so they can point out to these people the error of their ways.

And they may just be so lacking between their ears that they have no idea that they did anything wrong.

Example: My wife was coming home in our neighborhood when she passed a fellow a few years older than me and he was pushing all of his leaves and sticks into the storm drain. She actually stopped and got on to him about it. She said he seemed to genuinely think that it was there just for him to dispose of his trash in. (I don't really think he was THAT dumb but just playing dumb.) :hihi:

A dozen trucks full of leaves, dumped on the lawn at 1 AM.

A sign at their driveway " Leaf and Yard Debris Dumping Here".

Everyone go back with their leaf blowers and put the leaves back where they came from.

:goodpost: I would have a hard time resisting doing any or all of these if I had the opportunity. In fact if I had been leading that group I think I'd have taken the whole group immediately up into his drive and knocked on the door. I'd love to see his response / reaction.

It would seem reasonable to inform law enforcement on this issue. I live on a state hwy in Mn. I have been instructed by the hwy dept. that I cannot plow out my driveway across the hwy as I may leave some snow on the hwy that may result in an accident and if so, I can be held liable. I have been told to remove driveway reflective markers (red) as they may be thought to be tail lights,,,it's ok to put up blue ones. At any rate, yes, it seems the property owner could be at fault should any of you had gone down. It is a case of littering and the owner needs to be informed. Oh yes, we cannot put up garage sale signs either, a driver "may" pause to read it and drive off the road,,,,again my fault which leads me to believe that if your not supposed to read signs (garage sale etc etc) then that explains why in a 55mph speed zone everyone does whatever speed seems reasonable to them...and on and on and on,,,,Report the sucker...(I really hate the dude mowing his ditch with the mower going in the direction that throws all the grass/weeds/dog doo/rocks/stones/thistle/pop bottles/glass/diapers.........

Renne

I know exactly what you're talking about. Here in town, the leaves fall off the trees onto the road and the town doesn't clean them up. Well we had a pretty wet fall so far, so i was riding around a corner and it slipped on me. I cought my bike, though, and picked it back up, but I know EXACTLY what you're talking about.

• 4 weeks later...

Sometimes it really annoys me when farmers get manure and/or mud all over the roads that could cause a bike to skid out of control if you don't see it coming too. But then on the other hand, some things just can't be avoided. I do live in Wisconsin after all. "The land of cow sh*t and beer farts":duck:

• 3 weeks later...

My guess is the property owner is not a biker and has no idea of the danger he caused. Perhaps a polite note explaining what occurred and his potential for liability would change his leaf blowing conduct. All you need is his address. Be sure to explain why leaves and grass clippings are dangerous to motorcycles. You could send the note registered mail if you want more emphasis but I doubt that is necessary. Just keep a copy. Once he is warned any future accident does not require intent since negligence can also cause liability.

Mike

County made my Dad prune his scrubs as it only took one gabber-jaw lady to file a complaint . Dad lived on a curve where the speed limit should be a safe 35 MPH , but posted 55 MPH and everyone goes 65+. There was only one dirt driveway used only on the occasional weekend . Lady would be 20' from the intersection and would not approach any closer which caused her to get upset . Though it was a dangerous road from the any aspect because of speeders and her not moving closer still within safe distance from the intersection , she still won the arguement .

But the brighter side , the dirt driveway was on my Dad's property to begin with , so he closed it down , posted No trespassing signs and made her put a new driveway on her property !

BEER30

:goodpost: I would have a hard time resisting doing any or all of these if I had the opportunity. In fact if I had been leading that group I think I'd have taken the whole group immediately up into his drive and knocked on the door. I'd love to see his response / reaction.

Now, THAT's my kind of reply! But it's easy being a Monday morning quarterback...;)