IGNORED

cruise control problem on 05 RSTD

I can activate cruise and on light stays on, push set switch and set lights stays on, as they both should. Let go of throttle and cruise is actually not on. Tried at different speeds from 45 up to 65 to no avail.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.:bang head:

PGR, PC, FL

I'd love it if there is a simple fix for this. My 2001 does exactly the same thing. Has since I bought it 2 years ago, just never was high enough on the priority list to try and fix. Now I'm planning a trip later this month and wouldn't mind if I could get it working.

On my Millenium, I have to hold the throttle steady for a couple of seconds after setting my cruise or it will not "catch and hold the speed". Once set, the cruise works fine.

Don't remember this being an issue when the bike was newer (currently @ 51,000 miles).

On my RSV I have to push SET, then immediately push Resume/Acc...

I found if I do this the cruise immediately takes control with no speed drop.

Likewise. It's as if the set speed is a few mph low, so I have been hitting the Acc button until I feel the throttle take charge.

Dave

Had the same experience with my 05.

Needed to hold the throttle for a second or two before the cruise would kick in.

I'll have to try hitting the Res/Acc button too.

On a separate instance... this is a long shot, but I once had an issue with some dust/crud making the cancel button stay in just a little bit. Couldn't even tell by pressing it, but it wouldn't fully come off cancel, so the cruise wouldn't set. Worked the dirt out with a toothpick and it worked fine.

Bob

I appreciate ur responses, have already tried a few to no avail, as much as I hate to have a shop work on anything I own, I just might break down and let the local shop take a gander and see what they will try and charge me for, or what they screw up when I get it back. Im really not always so pessimistic!

Thanks,

I appreciate ur responses, have already tried a few to no avail, as much as I hate to have a shop work on anything I own, I just might break down and let the local shop take a gander and see what they will try and charge me for, or what they screw up when I get it back. Im really not always so pessimistic!

Thanks,

try setting it again, and this time, make sure that your clutch and brake levers are pushed all the way out.... they will sometimes get gunk buildup in the switches that will keep the cruise from working........seen it happen several times and a good cleaning will put things back in order.

mike.

• 2 months later...

Just bought an 07 RSTD with only 1340 miles on it... and the only thing that seemed iffy on it while test driving was the Cruise control.

Haven't ridden it much yet.. so may still need to test it more, but one symptom I had was .. after getting it to set (hold throttle a couple of secs), If I hit an overpass where it had to increase speed.. it would there after keep lunging then slowing , then lunging and slowing, etc... until I canceled it and reset it. It also did this if I hit accelerate button.

Decelerate button does nothing.

I did read in owners manual that the Cruise only works in 4th and 5th gears.

And it does have a diagnostics mode you can put it in.. mine tested ok.

If anyone knows what is causing the lunging I would appreciate the info.

Thanks.

Keith

The slight delay in catching hold after initially hitting the set button is pretty normal - it is caused by the time it takes the electric vacuum pump in the lower right cowling to energize the vacuum motor in the lower left cowling and take up any slack in the throttle activating cable between the vacuum motor and the cable junction box under the tank. Hitting the accel button after the set button really does nothing except take up that normal delay time so you don't notice it. If you take your hand off too quickly and the cables are too loose or do not slide easily, it is possible for the bike to loose more than 5 MPH, and that cancels the cruise setting.

The most important aspect of minimizing the delay is to make sure all the cables are adjusted correctly and not gummed up. I would start by opening the cable junction box (be careful to not loose the spring in there and look close at how all the cables are wound before you take it apart), removing the cables there and ensuring that they slide without dragging. Using your fingers to gently pull on the cables or cable sheath to detect any drag is the only real way to be sure how smooth they slide.

Then when you put it back together, make sure all the cables are properly adjusted. Also note that the center spool in the junction box is keyed on the back to engage with the spool from the cruse cable - it is easy to put this spool on with the activating bar or 'key' on the wrong side of the keys in the back spool, and then your cruise will not work at all, so pay attention to that! Going from memory here (so do not shoot if I am wrong), I believe the three cables going out from the junction box (one to the cruise vacuum motor and two to the carbs) need to be adjusted with zero play. The only slack that should be in any of the throttle cables is adjusted at the grip. I don't remember the actual mm measurement for the correct slack, but is is only enough so that you can just detect a little free play in the grip. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

• 1 month later...

took mine to the shop awhile back. At first the sensor was bad, then they decided the actuator was also bad, which casused the sensor to crater. Glad it was still under warranty, wouldn't have been cheap, if it had had to come out of my pocket, I'd live with it for a pretty good while. Was told, parts and labor $756.00. Works very well, and is a pleasure to have back.:hurts:

Hey Dickie,

It's been my experience that the guys in the shop know very little about our cruise control system. In fact I've had service managers ask my advice when they were at a lose. But on page 8-73 to -76 of the RSV service manual there are a couple of easy Self Diagnosis tests that you can perform that will tell you if one of the components of this system is not working. If all of the test come thought positive, there is noting wrong with the system.

Beyond this test, you just need to take all of the slack out of the throttle cables, especially the one going to the vacumn actuator in the lower left side of the lowers. And like many have suggested, it's just a good practice to hit the Set button and then bump the Acc button twice to make it hold.

Then remember, once the speed changes 5 mph from what it was set at, the cruise control turns off. And surely you don't have leather tassles on the clutch or brake levers because they will cause enough drag to turn the system off as if you touched the brake.

Hope this helps,

Rick