IGNORED

fuel pump committed suicide

I know this has been beat on before but let me beat on it more. RSV quit running 3 times. Waited 15 minutes and it started. Ran another 1000 miles or more and did it again. Read about the problem on this forum. Told the dealer what I already knew and he agreed to call Yamaha to inquire. I got a new fuel pump under warranty. He won't tell what Yamaha said. Like Willie said I'm "on the road again" so I'm happy.

:cool10: Thanks for the information.

Hi guys, I'm one of those folks who had an EPIC fuel pump failure this past summer.. and just like you, the bike shut down but restarted after a few minutes until finally, it wouldn't start at all..

From MY experience, here's what I can tell you..

Fuel pumps are covered under warranty..

Fuel pumps are reasonably reliable, however like everything else they can fail prematurely.

Fuel pumps are quick to change.. simple actually.

it's simple to check if the fuel pump is completely dead, however a pain in the assets if it's doing a death dance of dying here and there before it finally dies, as the OP observed.

keeping your FUEL FILTER changed often will help keep your fuel filter healthy.. WHY? Simple enough.. a clogged fuel filter, even a dirty one, will restrict the flow of fuel, causing your fuel pump to work extra hard to suck fuel past the dirty filter.. The harder it has to work, the less it will survive.. My 2006 never had it's filter changed in 2 years riding in harsh conditions.. the fuel filter caused me shut down issues.. and once changed, it was running perfect, though the damage was already done. I plan to change mine once a year.. Pain in the rump to get to but the amount of pain and suffering you'll go through later if you don't offsets what you once a year.. trust me on this one!!

A dead fuel pump will not pump fuel to the front cylinders, so when you try to start it and it's not starting, pulling the front spark plugs will show them to be dry, means no fuel feed. The rear jugs will be gravity fed and give you wet plugs, but the front ones need the fuel pump to get fuel. (predicated on the fact that you have a fuel problem, not a spark problem of course)

My fuel pump died at around 46,000 MILES while I was visiting SkyDoc in PA this summer. What an irritating failure this was as troubleshooting it was very difficult only because the pump did not die completely. It works, it doesn't work.. However, with the help of our good friend, I was able to get my bike to a great shop and get the bike fixed, all under warranty..

Fuel Pumps.. are our friends.. treat them nicely, and they'll be nice to you.. Take it's cute cousin the fuel filter out once a year if not more often, to score bonus points with the fuel pump ;)

If your pump fails on the road, reroute the fuel line directly to the carb on the right hand side of the bike. When you bypass the fuel pump, the bike will run fine. It worked ok for me until I replaced the pump. It does seem like a lot of 2006 Ventures have failures.

If your pump fails on the road, reroute the fuel line directly to the carb on the right hand side of the bike. When you bypass the fuel pump, the bike will run fine. It worked ok for me until I replaced the pump. It does seem like a lot of 2006 Ventures have failures.

Luckily for me they took a fuel pump from a 2009 from the show floor and put it in mine..

hopefully the last time ;)

There is another thread out there where another gent simply put an OEM fuel pump in for a fraction of the cost.. Hmmmm

So does that mean, I may have some Fuel Pump issues next year?:Bunny2:

OK, I think I'll have to replace my Fuel Filter next season - Spring 2010 for peace of mind.

So does that mean, I may have some Fuel Pump issues next year?

OK, I think I'll have to replace my Fuel Filter next season - Spring 2010 for peace of mind.

Well, I'm convinced that my severely clogged fuel filter contributed to the subsequent fuel pump failure I suffered a month or so later.. Over worked the pump to the point it couldn't keep up.. So that's why regardless of how annoying the task is, I'll be changing it often..

This does not mean YOUR pump is going to fail..

That is good to know. But, I won't take your word for it.

How involved is replacing the fuel filter? I've seen it last weekend, when I replaced my coolant. Space is very tight.

The fuel filter is in a simply annoying area to get to.. if you were in that area you're half way there.. I basically pushed the filter down through it's holder with the fuel pump off it's mounts.. its the quick dirty way of doing it but quicker.. and dirtier but works for me the last 4 times I changed other people's fuel filter..

The fuel filter is in a simply annoying area to get to.. if you were in that area you're half way there.. I basically pushed the filter down through it's holder with the fuel pump off it's mounts.. its the quick dirty way of doing it but quicker.. and dirtier but works for me the last 4 times I changed other people's fuel filter..

That may be the trick. :lightbulb: "Take off the fuel pump off its mount." But it sure is tight. When spring comes, I may go ahead and order a new fuel filter and replace the old one. By that time, I will be around 13K or 14K depending on mother nature this winter. Thanks for your tip.

Mine went at about 50k. If you get stuck, like Wizard said, you can re-route the fuel line to the carbs. in 15 minutes. Remove the seat, remove the rear tank bolt, lift the rear of the tank for access to the carb port. Pull the line off the top of the filter and re-route it to the carbs. (obviously you have to pull the line that came from the bottom of the pump to the carb.)

Make sure you have a good needle nose pliers for the clamps. Oh, and a flashlight incase it happens at night. You should also open the left side cover and disconnect the electrical connection to the pump so it won't try to poop out any remaining gas.

If you think you may do this for a while, buy a small cheap inline filter and a couple of inches of gas line and put it inline close to the fuel cutoff valve.

You are good for lot's of miles this way. Might have issues if you let the tank get too low.

Ah, and don't smoke while you are doing this!

• 5 months later...

I know this is an old thread, but my fuel pump packed it in on Monday. Dealer said the last available one in Canada is on it's way from Toronto...

"Last available one!!!" WTF Is this a sign of just how common this problem is? Or is the dealer telling tales???

I know this is an old thread, but my fuel pump packed it in on Monday. Dealer said the last available one in Canada is on it's way from Toronto...

"Last available one!!!" WTF Is this a sign of just how common this problem is? Or is the dealer telling tales???

It could also be that issues with the fuel pumps are so infrequent that it isn't worth the dealers keeping a bunch in stock, especially during the 'non-riding' season for you northern folks... :confused24:

Non riding???? When is that? My bike is insured year round...

You sun snobs from the south think you're the only ones to ride all year??? LOL :snow2:

:rasberry::rasberry::rasberry:

Not EVERYONE rides all year round up there... Or down here for that matter.

The locals down here look at me funny when I pull up somewhere and the temperature is below 50 degrees.