IGNORED

Other Seafoam Applications??

Evan

Everyone says throw a can of Seafoam in your tank. Is a full can too much in a 6 gallon tank?

You are going to get some people that say it is the best thing you can do for it and others that say no way...

I personally would not use a full can in the 6 gallon tank unless I knew for sure my carbs were really bad and I was going to specifically let it sit in the carbs for a night or something to let it do its thing - and then I would mix up a batch of the concentrated seafoam/gas mixture and pull it through the fuel system out of a gas can so that I can control exactly how much gets pulled in. If I recall correctly the directions specify an approximate ~1oz of SeaFoam for every 1 gallon of fuel.

A full can at the start of the year? I would do it in less than 1/2 tank of gas and don't just dump it in and run it out. Add Sea-Foam run it a while and leave sit overnight or a day or two. I use it even stronger. I use full can to less than 1/4 tank of gas with plenty of starts and sitting time in between.

Got you good and confused yet? There is a way as Bever mentioned to do it even stronger if carbs are really bad. If they are this bad sometimes it works sometimes it don't but you can do it again and it might work.

Everyone says throw a can of Seafoam in your tank. Is a full can too much in a 6 gallon tank?

I toss in a whole can to 5 gals. when starting an engine that's been sitting for a couple of years. A couple of ozs. to a full tank when the bike is riden regularly will do. Maybe half a can to a full tank over the winter.

I have been a religious user of SeaFoam for 5-6 years and have found it to be a good product however recently two friends used some BG 44K. It worked on carbs where SeaFoam didn't. Unfortunately they had to order it as the local stores in Colorado Springs don't carry it.

I asked in a post what this stuff was, so I gather it cleans out the carbs! I'll get some and put in 2 oz next tankful as I've never used it. The carbs were rebuilt by Squidley before he sold me t he bike, and I've added 21,000 on her, and she is now at 72,000. So how often should I do the 2 oz thing, and should I continue to do that through the winter, with fewer rides. I do ride in the winter here in CO, but not as often as otheerwise.

Thanks.

JackZ

Ride to CO and I'll try to keep up with you at 70 with two new knees on my 86 VR! LOL

Jack Tharp

Fort Collins, CO

aka

DePreach: weddings, outside and motorcycle ones prerred! Funerals if needed; and NO FUNDI HERE, just a guy with a well centered faith. JZ

I generally use about 1/2 to 1 ounce per gallon on each fill-up during the warmer months. In the winter I make sure I keep it at a 1 ounce per gallon concentration, since weather conditions make riding less predictable. During the winter, I match an ounce of Seafoam to each gallon of gas, no matter how much or little gas I put in the bike. (i.e. if I put in one gallon of gas, I put in an ounce of Seafoam when I get home.) Seafoam acts as a fuel stabilizer, also.

In the winter, I always top off the tank after each ride, no matter how few miles I put on it. Keeping that air space small reduces the likelihood of rusting.

Phoenix

Here is a list of the different ways I have used Seafoam for different problems I have encountered in my "little shop by the creek".

When putting my bike away for the winter I use 1/2 can of Seafoam to a full tank of gas on a First gen. I let the bike idle until the fan comes on and then let it sit until spring.

If you have that pesky "stumble" in the 1100 to 1800 RPM range then the Idle Circuit is clogged in one or more of the Carbs. and I use a full can of Sea Foam to a full tank of gas. It is important to let the bike Idle ONLY, because when you rev the engine the fuel is delivered thru the main jets and the Sea Foam is not going thru the Idle Circuit. I use a floor fan to keep the engine temp. lowered.

I have a 1.5 oz. syringe and have injected Sea Foam into the Vacuum port where you would connect your Manometer for a Carb. Sync. to remove carbon deposits from valves usually caused from running high test gas in a VR. I inject 1.5 Oz's. in each vacuum port while reving the engine.

I have shut off the fuel tank, drained the Carb. Bowels, and injected strait Sea Foam into the drain lines, back filling the Carb. Bowels to free up sticky floats and clean the float needle seats on really gummed up Carbs.

I have added 5 Oz's. of Sea Foam to my engine oil before an oil change to clean the oil level window which was crudded up so badly I could not see the oil level. By the third oil change the inspection window was pretty much "like new". I added the Sea Foam, rode the bike normally for about 30 minutes and then drained the oil and changed the filter. I have done this on both my 86'VR and 87'VR and a number of other bikes of different makes with no ill effects. I have done this on two bikes with aftermarket oil pressure gages added and saw an immediate 3 lb. increase in oil pressure which is significant on an oil system that has virtually ZERO oil pressure at Idle.

Now for my disclaimer: I am not saying that using Sea Foam will replace having your Carbs. rebuilt! It WILL NOT repair punctured Carb. Diaphragms! If you put Sea Foam in your gas tank and run the hell out of your bike it will do absolutely NOTHING to the Idle Circuit in your Carbs. and will not clear up the pesky "Stumble" at 1100 to 1800 RPMS! And If you Drain all of the oil out of your engine and fill the crankcase with Sea Foam you will DESTROY your engine! With that being said, I think Sea Foam is a fine product, when used properly, and used for a condition that it was designed to cure. If someone comes to my shop and says, "rebuild my Carbs." I have absolutely no problem doing just that, but if this same person comes to my shop and says " can you help me with my performance problem", I would be more inclined to try a $9.00 can of Sea Foam over a $600.00 Carb. rebuild. If you have questions about how I use Sea Foam please feel free to ask. :thumbsup2:

Earl

• 3 weeks later...

I spoke to Seafoam rep years ago when they were trying to import it into Canada, and was told

• 1oz per gallon is all that is needed to maintain cleanliness
  • 2oz per gallon for cleaning
  • in the fall to fog the engine by pouring directly into the carbs and let it stall then park it for the winter.

Brad

Something to keep in mind is that you should not do any carb adjustments while having Seafoam in the gas as Seafoam will cause your mixture to be just a little more rich. IF you adjust the carbs with Seafoam in the system, then when you're running normal fuel, the mixture and idle settings will be off.

So, if you must adjust your mixture or idle RPM, then be sure to do it again when you're running on straight gasoline.

I stoped useing SeaFoam, and now I use Camp Fuel to clean my fuel systems....

My local Advance Auto Parts and NAPA both carry seafoam by the pint and gallon, HOWEVER it is IMHO expensive.

I have shifted over to using products like Coleman Camp Fuel (Naptha) instead.

For one gallon it costs about 1/3 the price and it is 2 times more concentrated, so it goes 6 times as far as Seafoam. I wish I could find more bargins like this.

It does not have the alcohol to dry your fuel, but 99.9999% of the fuel I buy comes with 10% Ethanol from the pump, so fuel dryer is no longer needed............

Read the article HERE for more info