IGNORED

a question about being a passenger, for those that are.

massey130

we have had our RSV coming on 3 months now. my last bike was over 20 years ago & a crotch rocket where everything seemed fine and before i had met & married my wonderful wife Debbie. She is no stranger to motorcycles BTW

We started talkin about how nice it would be to have a touring bike we could ride 2 up and be comfortable. now with a touring bike, we thought great, now we have it.

Well, she told me all she could see was the back of my helmet. I have tried sitting a bit right while she sat a bit left. that didn't work cause the bike follows my eyes and i can't keep it where i need it. I have mentioned a second bike for her, but she doesn't want to do that. we would rather ride together anyway.

So, with all that, what do ya'll do when ever you are a passenger to look ahead & see more than the back of a helmet?

I won't be able to check this thread untill late monday night, so if i don't comment till then, you know why. i am on call at work, so my schedule is hectic. I will let Deb read ya'll's comments and maybe we can work something out.

thanks, dale in La.

It's all in the 'attitude'. You're kind of stuck with the situation, as many of us are.

I have a friend and fellow rider who is about 5'9" and his wife is 6'2". She sticks out over his head and catches a lot of wind if there is a side breeze, so we have more complaints.

My wife seems to like the back of my helmet once she realized that it that or stay home, now she looks out the side a lot. She does mention it would be nice to be able to look striaght ahead, but that just isn't going to happen. so she adjusts her 'attitude' and enjoys what she can. We also stop every hour or so, and that helps.

Carl

I just look over one or the other of FrogMans shoulders. You get more wind on the back anyway. Plus it doesn't matter just so you are riding. Views from the side can be great and she will see more than if she was in a cage. :photographing:Looking at the photos that Sleeperhawk mechanic, Mini, the others and I have taken prove that fact. She will learn to adjust to what is better for her. Make sure to take the camera for her to use. Roads that I get carsick in a car I won't on a bike.

The only time Robin can't see over my head is when I wear the full face helmet during the winter. I wear a toy helmet when I'm in California, and a doo rag when out of state. I'd suggest a smaller helmet.

Edited by wizard
grammer

Well Lady Massey and i read the posts here and while being quite amused at the creativeness of our fellow riders, we will adapt and overcome. looks like that's about it. we will try the over the shoulder thing and camera.

thanks for the information.

dale n deb in La.

I asked my navigator what she does, but couldn't find this post to reply! Now that I see it, our conversation was like this:

Me: (Quoted original post) Any advice?

She: Look a little to the left, then a little to the right. Maybe her seat on the touring bike is not far enough back. I get to see other things besides the back of your helmut.

Me: Can you see to the front? Do you try, or do you just look out the sides?

She: When I want to see to the front, I just lean a little to the right. But its not something I do a lot of the time. That’s why I don’t see all the stuff you see.

I was struck while listening to a conversation between passengers on a recent trip, at how much they see that I don't. They talked about all these sights they saw... for example, all of them saw the cool barn with three deer in front. They all saw the old man fishing in the stream. I didn't see any of that... I was piloting the bike, enjoying the driving.

I have frequently wondered why she likes to ride with me. I have concluded it is because she enjoys the things she can do while riding, like I do. It's just a different list of things.

Dave

Massey,

I asked the co-pilot what she does (we have an 07 Venture, I'm 6' and she's 5' 4")

She told me she tends to lean a bit to either side depending on which way the bike is leaning. Said she can tell by the lean which way we're going, so that's the way she looks. She can't see over me.

Also stated that she likes being a passenger because she can take an extra long look at things going by on either side if she chooses to do so.

Said it was odd at first, but quickly got used to it and doesn't even think about it anymore.

If I see something of interest coming up, I tend to point so that she knows it coming and where to look.

Hope this helps.

Bob

I tend to look to the side, and take pictures as we go along. Later when Brad looks at the pictures I say "see what you missed while you were paying attention to where we were going?" So we each have our jobs to do while on the bike. I suggest you get her a good camera, and also if she is a little scared, it will help relax her!

I hope this helped. Good Luck

Most of you won't read this as the post is so far back.

I was riding with my two sons (3 bikes) and went by a road bike, and the lady on the back was just flipping a page over on a large book she was reading. While my older son was riding my first 86 VR and I was on the back, I took a nap, woke up and said, 'That was a great nap!''Son: 'you went to sleep back there?' Dad: 'What do you expect? It's a Venture!'

Enjoy all.

JackZ