IGNORED

Avon Venoms have become Cobras?

Dave77459

I had an emergency tire change this past weekend while on a trip in Arkansas. I had checked my Avon Venoms before the trip, and with 6000 miles on them I thought I was golden. At the Queen Wilhemina Hotel on the Talimena Parkway near Mena, AR, one of our group spotted cords. And not just a few.

I had mistreated the tire, letting it run low on a trip. I knew it would have a shortened life, but in 500 miles it had gone through the bars and into the cords. The one tire I could find in Mena on a Saturday was a 150/80-15 IRC Wild Flare. So I am running the wrong size with a tire dubious effectiveness. (Anyone every heard of this tire?)

I don't think the Avon was defective, but I am ready to try something new.

My local shop here doesn't stock Dunlop Elite IIIs (they called them GoldWing tires??). It will take 5-10 days to get one for $153.99. That seems like a decent price, but I want to ride next Friday.

When I inquired about getting an Avon Venom, I was informed that they were replaced with the Avon Cobra. I can get one for $147.99 by Saturday.

What is the difference between the Cobra and the Venom? I was told they have an extra channel to improve wet performance.

Should I wait 10 days for the Elite 3, or is the Cobra a good tire?

Dave

As stated lots of times here about Avons, once you get to the wear bar, there is not much rubber left in the center. If the price for the E3 includes mounting the tire not bad at all, but if not seem pretty expensive since I paid only 125 for the rear from Motorcycle Super store last year. I like the E3, but I like the softer feel of the Avons. The E3 does last longer by 2 or 3 thousand miles.

When I inquired about getting an Avon Venom, I was informed that they were replaced with the Avon Cobra. I can get one for $147.99 by Saturday.

What is the difference between the Cobra and the Venom? I was told they have an extra channel to improve wet performance.

Should I wait 10 days for the Elite 3, or is the Cobra a good tire?

Dave

I believe the Cobra is a radial where the Venom-x is a bias Tire.

Avon's website has a Cobra, Venom-R and Venom-X listed

http://www.avon-tyres.co.uk/sites/default/files/Cobra.pdf

It looks like the Venom-R is only available in a monster size...

Here is the sheet on the Venom-X

http://www.avon-tyres.co.uk/sites/default/files/specs/en/venom.pdf

I am sure someone else has tried both and has better info than me though.

As stated lots of times here about Avons, once you get to the wear bar, there is not much rubber left in the center. If the price for the E3 includes mounting the tire not bad at all, but if not seem pretty expensive since I paid only 125 for the rear from Motorcycle Super store last year. I like the E3, but I like the softer feel of the Avons. The E3 does last longer by 2 or 3 thousand miles.

I was riding with V7Goose when he cut his circumnavigation of Texas short because the read Avon was shot. I sorta knew it, but I didn't expect the tire to expire so blamed quickly!

I am having trouble locating online sites that have the Elite IIIs in 150/90HB-15. The Motorcycle Superstore has an MV85HB (== 150/90HB) in the 15 inch rim and it is out of stock. It is $130.

By the way, the Venom is in no way shape or form discontinued.

I wonder why the tire guy would say it is? :confused07:

Thanks for the info.

Dave

Sounds to me you may need a new dealer, Cobras don't even come in 15in rim size.

I was riding with V7Goose when he cut his circumnavigation of Texas short because the read Avon was shot. I sorta knew it, but I didn't expect the tire to expire so blamed quickly!

I am having trouble locating online sites that have the Elite IIIs in 150/90HB-15. The Motorcycle Superstore has an MV85HB (== 150/90HB) in the 15 inch rim and it is out of stock. It is $130.

I wonder why the tire guy would say it is? :confused07:

Thanks for the info.

Dave

He is trying to sell what he has in stock most likely.

The MV85HB for the E3 is what you want for the rear.

Sounds to me you may need a new dealer, Cobras don't even come in 15in rim size.

WTH? Looking at the link posted above, I see you are right. I wonder what he quoted for me that would take a day or three to arrive???? This place has always seemed so reputable. Maybe it is just the fellah I was dealing with.

He is trying to sell what he has in stock most likely.

The MV85HB for the E3 is what you want for the rear.

SWMototires is also out of MV85HB-15 E3s.

Frustrating!

BTW, the tire I have on now had a Motorcycle Superstore sticker on it when I bought it.

Dave

i had a friend ran irc tires on his sporter, and they are ok, just don't last long. try motorcycleproshop.com or swmoto.com somebody else bought out swmoto but i think you came find them. i found on some site they only list what must be there best selling tires and not the whole avon stock of tires. you can do a search for avon tire and get their main site and look at all their stock and find a dealer too! looks to me that you may have ran too much air in your old tire, i always watch mine as i ride and see how it's wearing across the threads, if the middle is wear fast, there's too much air and if it's wearing off the sides more too little air. i do this on all my vechiles, because the weight load added to the vechile wt. flattens out your tires more and requires more air. even at work the shop that puts on our truck tires only put 40-45#s of air in our heavy duty tires and the mfd's calls for 50#s in front and 80#s in rear (THEY DON'T EVEN PUT HEAVY DUTY VALVE STEM BACK IN WHEN THEY CHANGE THEM OUT, regular stem rated at 60#s and heavy duty at 100#s) and they wear out quick. i have brought this to the shop and boss at work attention, but they still do it. i guess they want to keep bussiness going. http://www.avontyres.com/motorcycle

Hey Dave,

I had to replace my rear Venom AM42 last month after 16,600 miles of fully loaded travel

[ame=http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?p=397718#post397718]http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?p=397718#post397718[/ame]

where I normally had the air pressure around 41F/47R. Avons can still be obtained however and normally don’t seem to be a problem with some exceptions (of which some are mentioned on the forum here). If you really only had 6,000 miles on that tire, you should probably talk to one of their reps.

Glad you're ok and nothing happened.

Thank you everyone for your comments. You learn so much here!

Thanks for the link. Including $47.62 in shipping, the tire is $172.61 from Dennis Kirk. I wouldn't pay shipping for the local tire, but with taxes it is $166.69. In possibly 10 days.

I'm not sure I've found the best deal yet, but I do appreciate knowing that someone has a supply. :)

Dave

Thank you everyone for your comments. You learn so much here!

Thanks for the link. Including $47.62 in shipping, the tire is $172.61 from Dennis Kirk. I wouldn't pay shipping for the local tire, but with taxes it is $166.69. In possibly 10 days.

I'm not sure I've found the best deal yet, but I do appreciate knowing that someone has a supply. :)

Dave

Are you talking about the Elite III MV85HB-15?

Dennis Kirk has free ground shipping on orders over $100, but they do have a $5 surcharge on tire shipments.

E III = $124.99 + $5.00 surcharge = $129.99 shipped.

That's the cheapest I can find, local shops all want $175. I'm going to order one next week

Never got to that far down, but did get the ridges from riding low on air. I bought a $23 + tax air pump, with guage and lock down on the valve, and a spot light; total weight ca 3.5 lbs; and I use it every other week to check both tries. Not a problem.

Good comments and topic folks!

JackZ

And I ride in any direction but up or down! LOL.

:Venture::safemotorcycle::7_6_3[1]:

Dennis Kirk has free ground shipping on orders over $100, but they do have a $5 surcharge on tire shipments.

That's the cheapest I can find, local shops all want $175. I'm going to order one next week

Your exactly right, I just bought a set about a month or so ago from dennis kirk and this week another set of EIII for the 86 and both times were a lot cheaper than southwest moto. And there free shipping is pretty fast, ordered monday, on the truck for delivery tommorw.

-and-

Your exactly right, I just bought a set about a month or so ago from dennis kirk and this week another set of EIII for the 86 and both times were a lot cheaper than southwest moto. And there free shipping is pretty fast, ordered monday, on the truck for delivery tommorw.

How come when I added it to my cart and went towards checkout, they added $47 in shipping...?

Ah! I accidentally upgraded my shipping to 3-day. Standard UPS residential is free (+$5).

Thanks for all the good information!

Dave

• 2 weeks later...
I just ordered mine (mv85hb-15), I'll let you know how it works out.

Hey, I just quoted........myself. Never done that before :rotf: Anyways, my tire from Dennis Kirk finally showed up at our post office yesterday. (we don't have a mailbox in front of the house, we have to go to town for our mail.....very small town)

DK has a $5 surcharge on tire shipments, normally orders over $100 ship free. The USPS label on the box that the tire came in showed a charge of $19 to ship, so actually I paid $110.99 for the tire plus the $19 shipping.

I pulled the wheel and found an indie shop to mount and balance for $20, bringing the grand total for the rear tire on my scoot to $150.

I was reluctant about buying a tire online as everyone is concerned about getting older tires. The DK tire has a build code of 3708 (the 37th week of 2008).

The tire that I bought locally for the front has a build code 4807 and I have way more $$$ into it than the rear.

I'm not that concerned about older never mounted tires, but it is nice to have new meat actually be new meat.

Dollar wise the online deal is great. As long as I don't have any problems with that tire everything should stay great. I can't imagine dealing with an online company would be any fun for a defective product claim.

The weather is supposed to be good this weekend so I can put a few hundred miles on this new tire and see how the bike handles with new rubber all around.

:Venture:

• 3 weeks later...
okay, i got my set of Avon's and have finally "looked" at them. i noticed something weird, the front tire is wider than the back. that seems really strange to me. is that correct?

Ben

Do you mean it is physically wider when you look at it, or that it is a wider size? I forgot to look to see if you're on a 1 Gen or a 2 Gen. On 2 Gen, stock width is 150 for both front and back.

These are the sizes coming straight from the tire:

150 90/15 80 H for the rear (owner's manuel says 74H, is the 80H okay?)

150 80/16 71 H for the front (this is spot on compared to the owner's manuel)

The front tire just looks so much bigger/wider than the rear.

Any suggestions? Should I call SW Moto Tire about it?

The tires are brand new, not even on the bike, I was waiting until the Spring for that.

Ben