IGNORED

Is It Just Me?

aspen60

Okay is it just me or do any other riders see this too? I've been riding every day since the first of May up till maybe a week or two ago, here in Illinois it started to get down into the 30's at night and I just don't like to be cold on the thirty mile trip to work, in the dark, so Ive been taking the pickup. Now this last Saturday and again on Sunday I can't stand letting the scooter set in the garage any longer so as soon as the temp gets to about 40 outside, Im off to enjoy another ride. However the first 2 or 3 miles the black and red beauty is all over the road and handles really bad. After I get about 5 miles down the road It's back to a great handling bike again. Iv'e got 4000 miles on a new set of Avon Venom's and the pressure is right in both front and back. No air in the front forks, with about 30 lbs in the rear. Could it just be the tires are cold? (Ive got a heated garage with the temp set at 60) Any thoughts?:think::think::think:

I am on my second set of venoms. I noticed the same thing as you on my first set. When its chilly outside they are a little slippery for the first few miles. It has not been cool enough here to see if this second set will act the same. I checked the pressure at 36 front and 40 rear when cold. I just take it a little easier on those cool mornings for a little bit.

I am currently running the Elite3S so I cant see recommended pressure on the front tire but when I ran Avons I think the pressure was a little higher than 36 in the front..check that first. However alot will disagree about running the pressure on the sidewall but I got nearly 16000 miles out of the rear on my Venom and the front was still on great shape but changed it anyway. As far as cold,we dont get that much cold but when Ive been on trips Ive started out in 18 degree weather and 26 degree with falling snow and never had a problem being all over the road. (Wet Snow)

One more thing..I just noticed it is a New RSV....Read the threads about steering head bearings in tech section...I would bet money it is loose and it will definitely make this thing wobble around..It is easy to do yourself and Yamaha will tell you they are in specs so they will not do it. I havnt seen one yet that is tight as it needs be. There is a simple test to determine if it needs just a very little tweaking. I will try and find it and let ya know. Tom

Here ya go: [ame=http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=511]Tightening the Steering Head - VentureRider.Org[/ame]

Edited by Tom
Added Link

Sounds like you need to get some heat in them before they have any grip. NASCAR drivers have to do the same thing.

Yeah that! I have learned from the MC LEO's here that it is always a good practice to "Dial In" your scoot before hitting the road. This simply means doing easy turning exercises in a large parking lot for about 15 minutes. Working the brakes,throttle,and clutch brings the bike up to full operating temps as well as warming up the tires.

I have gotten in the habit of doing this and I notice a great improvement in the bike's handling when I get on the road and throttle up.

Boomer........who knows a warmed up scoot can be just as exciting as a warmed up woman.:cool10:

I would think any or all of the things mentioned would have some impact but have you considered it may in some small part be you too.

What I mean is, you had put the bike away and hadn't been riding for a little while therefore may have lost a little of your "feel" for things. Another potential factor is the fact that it's dark, which makes you more prone to a little bit of disorientation when you first start out.

I get the same feeling myself (and I haven't put mine to bed yet)

I ran Avons I think the pressure was a little higher than 36 in the front..check that first. However alot will disagree about running the pressure on the sidewall but I got nearly 16000 miles out of the rear on my Venom and the front was still on great shape but changed it anyway.

One more thing..I just noticed it is a New RSV....Read the threads about steering head bearings in tech section...I would bet money it is loose and it will definitely make this thing wobble around..It is easy to do yourself and Yamaha will tell you they are in specs so they will not do it. I havnt seen one yet that is tight as it needs be. There is a simple test to determine if it needs just a very little tweaking. I will try and find it and let ya know. Tom

Here ya go: Tightening the Steering Head - VentureRider.Org

:goodpost: i agree. last weekend we had to tighten the steering head bearing and do a carb sync on a new 09

I did have it up in the air about 4000 miles back when I put new tires on and checked the bearings then. I did the side to side thing and it went all the way over and started to come back so I thought it was okay. Maybe it needs to be checked again, I do agree that in the dark it seems a little ----overwhelming? when you first start out. Kinda sounds like Im afraid to ride in the dark doesn't it, haha. I know you all understand when i say that somtimes you feel like your part of the bike and you can do anything, well when its cold and dark on the first 5 miles just don't handle well. Thats about the best way I can explain it.:think:

I know you all understand when i say that somtimes you feel like your part of the bike and you can do anything, well when its cold and dark on the first 5 miles just don't handle well. Thats about the best way I can explain it.

Can't speak for anyone but myself but I sure understand what you are saying. After having deer,racoons,possums,and errant drunks stumble into the road on night rides I am leery the whole time I ride at night; not just the first 5 miles. I think it is called the "survival instinct" by some of those college edjumahcated head-shrinkers.:D

Boomer........who does not throw caution,whiskey,or wimmen to the wind.

Guest Oldsalt
Yeah that! I have learned from the MC LEO's here that it is always a good practice to "Dial In" your scoot before hitting the road. This simply means doing easy turning exercises in a large parking lot for about 15 minutes. Working the brakes,throttle,and clutch brings the bike up to full operating temps as well as warming up the tires.

I have gotten in the habit of doing this and I notice a great improvement in the bike's handling when I get on the road and throttle up.

I remember during my MSF course that the instructors always had us take all the bikes and run them around the course area, starting slow and building up the speed to warm up the tires (and the rest of the systems). This was before the first time on the course, right after we took the bikes out of the trailer.

oldsalt:grandpa: