IGNORED

Anyone upgrade to IE8?

Skid

Recently I been getting these pop-ups to upgrade to IE8, and so far I haven't done so. Is anyone using IE8 and is there any changes I should know about before hand? What does change? I'm using the IE6 now and just hate to change.....

Skid;

Been running IE 8 for a while now...have it on my laptop, desktop, and workstation at work! No issues to speak of...seems faster on the laptop and workstation.

To be honest, M$ added some features I don;t find useful at all (web slice gallery and others). I do LIKE the tab functionality though!

Recently I been getting these pop-ups to upgrade to IE8, and so far I haven't done so. Is anyone using IE8 and is there any changes I should know about before hand? What does change? I'm using the IE6 now and just hate to change.....

Running it on quite a few machines at work...and on the laptop I'm on right now. It's ok, actually better than IE7 IMO. The only thing to be aware of is that after you first install it, you will see a bunch of first-time screens that ask you questions about how you want to run it. If you don't answer all this BS it will just keep nagging you every time you use it. In my experience, you will want to turn off the option to check websites for safety...that feature can slow it to a crawl. All in all, I'd say it's probably the best version of IE out there right now. I still prefer FireFox though.

I like IE8 and it also adds some security features to help protect you while surfing.

However I still use Firefox mostly for my surfing as I like the fact it follows the standards set out, where MS just kinda invents its own stuff as it goes along not following the intl rules and guidelines.

Brian

I've installed it on a few PC's at work. Seems to be OK. I don't use IE myself. Been using Maxthon for 10 years and it's had tabbed browsing for much longer than any other browser. Hate FireFox ... it's too incompatible and really has nothing to offer that Maxthon doesn't. Never have compatibility issues with Maxthon. One of the neatest features of Maxthon is I can simply drag on a link and it opens it in a new tab.

I've installed it on a few PC's at work. Seems to be OK. I don't use IE myself. Been using Maxthon for 10 years and it's had tabbed browsing for much longer than any other browser. Hate FireFox ... it's too incompatible and really has nothing to offer that Maxthon doesn't. Never have compatibility issues with Maxthon. One of the neatest features of Maxthon is I can simply drag on a link and it opens it in a new tab.

Rick, Are you using 1.6 or 2.5? I'd like to give it a try. Suggestions??

I have not met many people that have even heard of Maxton

Maxton was my replacement to IE a long time at the time ago till Firefox

I think it was called -- MY IE when I started using it

I still have it loaded up Still a great replacement to IE

When I first started using Firefox it was incompatible with a lot of things mostly Video

Over the past few years It has become a solid piece of software

I also use Portable Aps on my flash drive which includes a portable version of Firefox

I have not met many people that have even heard of Maxton

Maxton was my replacement to IE a long time at the time ago till Firefox

I think it was called -- MY IE when I started using it

I still have it loaded up Still a great replacement to IE

When I first started using Firefox it was incompatible with a lot of things mostly Video

Over the past few years It has become a solid piece of software

I also use Portable Aps on my flash drive which includes a portable version of Firefox

That's correct... it was originally called MY IE ... and it still uses the IE engine but the browser interface is very good. Because it uses the IE engine, there are no compatibility issues whereas Firefox still has ... for example, I have two web based applications that I use at work and neither of them will run in Firefox. One of them is a Cisco email app. The other is a comercially available Incident Management/Ticketing system.

Rick, Are you using 1.6 or 2.5? I'd like to give it a try. Suggestions??

I have the current version which is 2.5.8

http://www.maxthon.com/

• 2 years later...

I guess it is just what you get used to. I download Maxthon and tried it for maybe 5 minutes and deleted it. I had never used it before and according to the link, was Version 3. I admit that I probably didn't give it enough of a chance but it just wasn't doing it for me.

I just really like Firefox and have had no issues with it. I've got the latest version of IE installed as well as Chrome but always end up going back to Firefox.

I guess it is just what you get used to. I download Maxthon and tried it for maybe 5 minutes and deleted it. I had never used it before and according to the link, was Version 3. I admit that I probably didn't give it enough of a chance but it just wasn't doing it for me.

I just really like Firefox and have had no issues with it. I've got the latest version of IE installed as well as Chrome but always end up going back to Firefox.

Just an FYI ... as I've mentioned before, I've been using Maxthon since it came out. However, the first time I tried version 3.x, I wasn't impressed and went back to version 2.x ... Did this maybe 2 or 3 times, each time spending more time in version 3. Now that I'm fairly used to it, I am liking it. They made a number of changes from ver 2 to 3 and it took me a while to figgure them out.

Point being I guess is that when a person is familiar and comfortable with something, they do tend to resist change.