IGNORED

Can't Decide on Headsets

PrairieStar

I've read a lot about the pros and cons of headsets and still can't decide whether to buy a set or not. Brenda and I have ridden my '06 RSV for almost 2 seasons without them and have gotten along alright but if they could help hear the radio better or for us to talk to each other, I'd buy a set. I currently wear a half helmet and am looking at an open face while Brenda already has an open face model. I've heard some people say that the intercom is noisy because it is always live. I guess I could buy Mic-Mutes for more $$ but is it really worth it?

I see on EBay that you can buy stereo headsets for helmets that don't have a Microphone so that you can listen to the audio. These come with an 1/8" stereo jack. You can then buy the adapter that allows you to plug it into the headset plug on the bike. Anyone tried these? I don't want to spend the money on headsets only to find out that they don't work well at highway speeds or that there's other drawbacks. Any feedback (positive or negative) would be appreciated.:bang head:

Thanks;

Rod.

I have the adapter that allows you to plug a set of ear buds (1/8") plug into the audio system. I tried it the other day with a half helmet and it was ok but you will still get a lot of wind noise. It would be better with a 3/4 helmet I would think. I have the low end J & M's from Wingstuff and find them alright for conversation but not for music, most likely with the Mic-Mutes that would improve. Mic-Mutes are on the to do list this winter . We rode the first year without headsets and find it a much more enjoyable ride with them.

Keith

I picked up a 1/8" plug adapter (similar to Keith's) from aerostitch.com for $18, and use it with Sony earplug speakers that fit completely inside your ear. With a 3/4 helmet, I get excellent stereo sound. I believe with a 1/2 helmet you'd still be okay, since the earplugs are doing a pretty decent job of muffling the wind noise. At 65-70, I'm only turning my volume up to 15 or so.

My wife and I use the OEM headsets which, I believe is the same as J&M HS-BCD174. There is some noise but we don't think it is at a bothersome level. I also don't like the big box that hangs on the outside of the helmet with some of the other brands. You can run the RSV audio through the headset but we keep the music on the external speakers. In PA it is illegal to run music through the headset. You may want to check your state laws at http://www.amadirectlink.com/legisltn/laws.asp

Rod

I got two sets cheap (until I paid brokerage fees) from wingthings. I do like em. Yes they can be noisy if not adjusted correctly.

If you go headset with no mic then without mods you will not be able to talk on the cb.

The set that is on Marilyns has a real creeky mike boom....if she moves the boom then it yells at me loudly, but if it stays still it is fine.

You will not get Bose sound quality from them....but for me its good. And I do like having the cb on and usable.

BTW I saw you the other day....Sunday maybe?

Guest tessa c2

i had picked up the imc motorcom, hs-g30, and not to impressed with it,the mic wire is to fine and the wind wraps it around your neck, and it still picks up a lot of wind noise, on breezy days it'll cut your sterio out, i had a set of chatterbox's and liked them the best. i had pulled them off my helmet after my bike was totaled and darn if i knew where i had put them, but they worked good, Hazel still has the chatterbox's and likes them but she has a full face helmet.

You can easily adjust the intecom volume thru your on-board control. Press the 2nd button until you get to IC (for InterCom) and use the up/down arrow to adjust the volume.

When I ride with my wife or kids, they tap me on the shoulder and I increase the volume so we can talk. Otherwise, I keep it down to eliminate the wind noise coming thru the speakers. It does not affect the music/CB volume.

RR

After reading this post I need some help. I went on aerostitch.com and they show a Chatterbox earspeaker adapter # 3857. I have a chatterbox system. I also saw the intercom system adapter #3900 which is the 1/8" adapter plug mentioned here. I called aerostitch but the person I talked with didn't know what I was talking about. Does anyone know what the #3857 does and would it be better than #3900? Also if I buy the adapter # 3900 do I need two, one for me and one for passenger? Thanks, Eddie Hall

After reading this post I need some help. I went on aerostitch.com and they show a Chatterbox earspeaker adapter # 3857. I have a chatterbox system. I also saw the intercom system adapter #3900 which is the 1/8" adapter plug mentioned here. I called aerostitch but the person I talked with didn't know what I was talking about. Does anyone know what the #3857 does and would it be better than #3900? Also if I buy the adapter # 3900 do I need two, one for me and one for passenger? Thanks, Eddie Hall

If you just want to be able to use regular earphones with the RSV's audio system, #3900 is the right part. It will plug into the 5 pin DIN connector on the RSV and allow you to plug in any stereo headset with a 1/8" plug.

Rich

Thanks for the help and suggestions on this everybody. I just went ahead and ordered 2 sets from Sierra. (J&M 8154's) They'll ship to Canada via USPS. I tried Winstuff but they will only ship UPS. We Canucks just get killed on brokerage fees if we use UPS. I'm going to install them and give them a try. If I'm unsatisfied with the amount of ambient noise in the intercom, I'll look at the Mic Mutes at a later date. There's some great tips on the site here regarding speaker placement, microphone etc.

Rod.

• 4 weeks later...

To help any headset/earphone work better, consider riding with earplugs.

NO, not the cheap foam things, but spend the huge bucks to get Muscians plugs for all of $12 per pair (cleanable, reuseable for a long time).

http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/er20.aspx

I have a gen 1 86 royale, and the whine was getting to me. These plugs not only stop virtually all the whine noise, but let through music and voice and cut out most wind noise.

I think part of the reason is that instead of your entire ear funnelling ALL sounds into your ear along with your intercom/stereo headsets, the small openings in the plugs are close to the speakers and don't just funnel in all other sounds.

These will let you carry on a normal conversation at stops, but everything is very hushed. Takes a little geting used to, but I like them.

Search Google and youcan find them at a bit of a discount.

Take some to the next rock concert and still enjoy the music and you won't have any ringing or ear damage.

• 2 weeks later...

Don,

OT, but do you think that many from this board might want to join us Goldwing riders in Central PA next year, for Ride Renovo. www.RideRenovo.com

I've organized this event around the members of the www.gl1800riders.com bbs, but it's open to anybody.

I really don't know anyone from this board, but I'd look forward to meeting you's.

www.Mic-Mutes.com

Bill Morphy