IGNORED

RSV & GW Trikers

Guest Oldsalt

Guest Oldsalt

I have been a regular reader (and a few times contributed) in the General Discussion section. I have a VStar 1100 Silverado and have been getting smart on the RSV with the intention of pulling the trigger sometime in the next year or so. However, after a few 300-400 miles rides on my Silverado lately and some minor health issues, I have had to ask myself if an RSV was really the bike I should be getting. I was concerned about several things from the get-go (weight of bike, top heaviness, and a 30" inseam). I have learned about a number ways to combate these issues but not mother nature, older age, and the lack of fun at the end of the day. I thought even if I only got a year or two out of a new RSV, it would be still be worth it. Now I am not sure that is possible.

So now comes the big question for those of you who own BOTH an RSV and a Gold Wing trike. If you were to go to Hannigans and buy one of his trikes (new or a year old) which would you get? I am 68, no family or esponsibilities, and after getting the trike (and some practice time) I want to smell the roses in the western USA. Money is not a big concern and I do plan on keeping my 2005 Silverado for DQ runs.

In summary...which would make the better trike (assuming both had the same conversion)? My gut is telling me the GW is the smarter choice, I just wish it looked more like a motorcycle.

oldsalt :backinmyday:

I am 51 and still in good health, but when it get where I can't ride 2 wheels, it will be a Gold Wing trike for sure, 3 main reasons, 1 Quiet, 2 reverse, 3 Gas mileage, I love my venture but even the quiet ones are noisey, they don't have reverse, and my brother's goldwing 1800 beats my venture on gas mileage every time.

and the goldwing are longer trikes don't seem to have that trike wobble.

gregg

You probably have to try them both and decide. I believe you will like riding a trike, I've had mine 3 months and it's sooo nice. It took me about 30 minutes of in town riding to get used to it, you don't have to put a foot down at a light, don't have to worry so much about loose gravel cornering and it's so much safer on wet roads. I would suggest you get the easy steering upgrade to make turning sharp corners easier. I also have a small two wheeler for riding on the country roads but after riding the trike you really have to think when you ride on two wheels. Keep me posted on what you decide to ride.

I'm 64 and I have the RSV triked, I love it! Not having a reverse is not that bad of a problem. Do I wish I had one - sure! I have the Hannigan kit. It's 62 inches wide. You have to becareful when pulling up to get gas. Don't hit the polls protecting the pumps. I have sit on and rode both GW and RSV trikes.... I like my RSV, maybe it's because I had it when it was a two wheeler. The gas mileage between my RSV trike and my buddy's GW trike is about the same. (35mpg) I believe it's going to depend on what rear end you get on the trike. If you get a trike make sure that you have the front end raked. Mine is 4.5 and it does make a difference in handling. Had a good time at Vogel and the "Tail".

I have the floorboards on mine, you can stand on them, some you can't, what ever kit you get ask about that. Because of the problems that I have with my back and legs I have to "mount" the trike like you do a horse. I put my foot on the passengers foot rest and stand up and swing my leg over the seat.

If you get a chance ride what you plan on buying.

Ken

Have to agree pretty much with guys here. Both are good bikes. GW's seem to be the bike of choice when triking them due to accessories availabilities, quietness, & reverse.

As noted the RSV isn't hard to move around but you still need to pay attention where/how you park them. One other thing is there are more companies offering trike conversions for the Wings then RSV's.

It all comes down to which machine you like and fit best IMO.

Keep the folks here informed what ya get. and do stick around.

Larry

Guest Oldsalt
I'm 64 and I have the RSV triked, I love it! Not having a reverse is not that bad of a problem. Do I wish I had one - sure! I have the Hannigan kit. It's 62 inches wide. You have to becareful when pulling up to get gas. Don't hit the polls protecting the pumps. I have sit on and rode both GW and RSV trikes.... I like my RSV, maybe it's because I had it when it was a two wheeler. The gas mileage between my RSV trike and my buddy's GW trike is about the same. (35mpg) I believe it's going to depend on what rear end you get on the trike. If you get a trike make sure that you have the front end raked. Mine is 4.5 and it does make a difference in handling. Had a good time at Vogel and the "Tail".

I have the floorboards on mine, you can stand on them, some you can't, what ever kit you get ask about that. Because of the problems that I have with my back and legs I have to "mount" the trike like you do a horse. I put my foot on the passengers foot rest and stand up and swing my leg over the seat.

If you get a chance ride what you plan on buying.

Ken

Thanks to all for the input. Ken, you have raised an issue that I don't recall seeing before...You mentioned "it depends on the rear end you get." Now assuming you weren't making jokes about my overdeveloped one, are you saying there are different rear ends from the same manufacturer or are you refering to different manufacturer's rear ends? Thanks for raising the issue.

oldsalt

Sorry, I guess I should have made myself clear when I was talking about the rear end. I was referring to the "drive" rear end. It depends on what gear ratio you have. The rear end that I have is from a small lincoln, (that is what I was told). I don't know what gear ratio I have. I know I should have asked just incase you guys wanted to know.

What was mention above about parking is true. It only takes a few times of pulling into a parking lot to learn where you want to park. If you can find a place to park up hill, (small incline), you will be able to let the trike roll back out of the spot when you leave. In FL we don't have that many spots like that, but you can find one here and there.

Ken:sun:

As far as Hannigan conversions, the BMWs always look the sweetest IMHO,, and of course HD sells two models of trikes now. Hannigan conversion color matched with all the options is going to be around $12K to $14k installed, plus what you spend on the bike, which new Wings start at $23k for base, up to $27k for all options. And of course some dealers will argue they void the bike's warranty.

A new Tri Glide Ultra Classic with standard ABS MSRP starts at $30k $31k with reverse.

Now I do prefer the engines on the Yamaha, Honda, and BMW, but with the warranty considerations and price of conversion not making them any cheaper, if I was ready for a trike I would definitely look at the Harley.

Guest Oldsalt
As far as Hannigan conversions, the BMWs always look the sweetest IMHO,, and of course HD sells two models of trikes now. Hannigan conversion color matched with all the options is going to be around $12K to $14k installed, plus what you spend on the bike, which new Wings start at $23k for base, up to $27k for all options. And of course some dealers will argue they void the bike's warranty.

A new Tri Glide Ultra Classic with standard ABS MSRP starts at $30k $31k with reverse.

Now I do prefer the engines on the Yamaha, Honda, and BMW, but with the warranty considerations and price of conversion not making them any cheaper, if I was ready for a trike I would definitely look at the Harley.

You bring up two issues: 1.) A Harley trike. I am not a Harley basher as I believe the bike you like is the best one for you but I just do not like the cost/value of a Harley. They have the best marketing in Motosports, but their bikes just don't compare in either performance or value in my humble opinion. Bless those that have them and like them. 2.) Warranty issues. I keep seeing the issue discussed but without a clear 'black & white' explanation. It seems to me that each manufacturer either will honor the trike's warranty or they will not. Call me simple minded but why is this not more clear? So...what is Yamaha's, BMW's, and Honda's POLICY on their respective warranties with regard to trike conversions? Inputs from those who have dealt with the manufacturers especially appreciated.

oldsalt

• 2 months later...

I don't have a trike but I have been doing a lot of research on them lately and I've come to this conclusion, according to what I hqave read from specs and other owners; If possible i would try to ride the conversion you are thinking of getting. Then, also ride another conversion. I have owned two Ventures and loved both of them. My last bike was a 2008 Goldwing which I also loved. I would have to say that I would get a GW trike over the Venture, but that is just me. But I do know that I would go with a conversion that had independent rear suspension. Hannigan, CSC and Motor Trike have IRS. The Lehman conversions, which is what the new Harley Triglides are, has a solid rear axle. It's a great trike but I personally like the IRS. I have also been looking at (and test rode) the new Spyder RT. It has a lot going for it but it's not for everyone. Whatever you decide, I hope you have many miles of smiles !! Good luck.

You bring up two issues: 1.) A Harley trike. I am not a Harley basher as I believe the bike you like is the best one for you but I just do not like the cost/value of a Harley. They have the best marketing in Motosports, but their bikes just don't compare in either performance or value in my humble opinion. Bless those that have them and like them. 2.) Warranty issues. I keep seeing the issue discussed but without a clear 'black & white' explanation. It seems to me that each manufacturer either will honor the trike's warranty or they will not. Call me simple minded but why is this not more clear? So...what is Yamaha's, BMW's, and Honda's POLICY on their respective warranties with regard to trike conversions? Inputs from those who have dealt with the manufacturers especially appreciated.

oldsalt

Value? that was my point a new Harley Trike is $30 to $31K with warranty.

A new Wing is minimum $21K (if you find a dealer discounting them) and then $14k for the conversion puts you at $35k and as far as I have heard, triking a Honda, BMW or Yamaha voids the warranty.

I like the new Spyder RT also,, same price as a Wing, already triked. And I even like the color.

Wow, what a great article! I've got a VStar Silverado and a RSV -03, I also was being tortured after 250-300 miles on the VStar so looked and found a great deal on a like new RSV. The RSV is so nice! I had a 1986 years ago and loved that bike, should have never sold it. Anyway I also have been looking and asking lots of questions on the conversions, I have a friend from Montana I ride with that just got a new Harley Trike this summer, $33K, it looks nice but is rough riding and hard to steer in the corners, really has to be heads up as he also has a Road King that he kept and rides and has to remember what he's on! I also was thinking about a Wing only because of the reverse but after seeing REDRIDER52's conversion and reading some of the coments I will probably make a trip to Kamloops, BC and check on the Hannigan conversion, it's only a day ride from my home. Hopefully I will be able to ride both the RSV and Wing conversions before I decide.

Good luck and thanks for posting the article, let us all know what you've decided,

Larry M

A Goldwing trike is the way to go. If you get past the obvious, like reverse, it's my opinion that the Goldwings engine/trans combo is better suited to trike conversions than the others. The engines powerband and gearing really lend themselves to the conversion. I have ridden several Goldwing trikes over the years, owned a 03 non trike, and they all had plenty of power, got good gas milage for a trike and rode reasonably well. The thing about trikes is that they do not ride like a regular motorcycle. You have to use your upper body to turn them. Even though the rake kits make them easier to turn, they still take some getting used to. Another option you may want to consider is the Stallion trike. Not a conversion but it is built from the ground up as a trike and is actually cheaper than most conversions with better performance.

My 2 cents..... David

http://www.thoroughbred-motorsports.com/

My biggest concern with any trike (except the Spyder) is that on any vehicle most of the stopping power is the front brake. With all the added weight of a trike, in a panic situation you would be putting way more force than the front tire and entire front end than it was designed for. And all that weight in the back would want to pass the front..

Anyone ever drive a rear engine car on ice? It is just like a dart, the heavy end wants to be in front!!

My biggest concern with any trike (except the Spyder) is that on any vehicle most of the stopping power is the front brake. With all the added weight of a trike, in a panic situation you would be putting way more force than the front tire and entire front end than it was designed for. And all that weight in the back would want to pass the front..

Anyone ever drive a rear engine car on ice? It is just like a dart, the heavy end wants to be in front!!

Most trikes have dual rear calipers and a couple of the conversions offer the retention of the Honda OEM ABS. So in a panic stop you do have more weight to stop but you have more brakes to do the stopping. I have read countless posts by trike owners who say that in a panic stop a trike will stop quicker and stay straighter than a two wheeler. Don't know about stopping quicker but I believe the straighter part. I have never ridden a conventional trike so I cannot talk from experience, only from what I have read. As for the extra weight in the rear I don't think you can compare a trike to a rear engine car. I put over 200,000 miles on a VW Beetle in the 60s and drove in some pretty bad snow and ice, and most of the time I was happy to be in my Bug versus a regular car. With the added weight comes added traction on the rear or drive wheels. My Bug was going when most cars were either stuck or parked. IMHO, front wheel front engine is #1, rear engine rear drive is #2, and all others follow, if they can, in snow and ice.

There is one trike kit that has only one rear caliper but it's not a Hannigan or CSC, and to me those two are the best. I think Hannigan also retains the OEM ABS.

Having owned both the RSV and the goldwing the goldwig wins hands down. Better mpg, suited my riding style, quieter, more accessories from the after market, etc..... That being said which one did I keep? The 2000 MM RSV. ! I can ride it and have many times doing 1000 mile days. I have to stop every 115 miles to get gas. The goldwing 1800 has fuel injection and will get into the 30 mpg range. The RSV only gets into the low 20's being conservative on the right hand twist, and can get into the mid teens if I get aggressive. I have installed an additional 5 gallon auxillary fuel cell which will let me go 200 miles between fill ups.. I have a physical impairment (fused right knee) that dictated I needed to have my feet forward rather than beneath my seat. So that is how I came to keep the RSV and I like the style better.

Most trikes have dual rear calipers and a couple of the conversions offer the retention of the Honda OEM ABS. So in a panic stop you do have more weight to stop but you have more brakes to do the stopping. I have read countless posts by trike owners who say that in a panic stop a trike will stop quicker and stay straighter than a two wheeler. Don't know about stopping quicker but I believe the straighter part. I have never ridden a conventional trike so I cannot talk from experience, only from what I have read. As for the extra weight in the rear I don't think you can compare a trike to a rear engine car. I put over 200,000 miles on a VW Beetle in the 60s and drove in some pretty bad snow and ice, and most of the time I was happy to be in my Bug versus a regular car. With the added weight comes added traction on the rear or drive wheels. My Bug was going when most cars were either stuck or parked. IMHO, front wheel front engine is #1, rear engine rear drive is #2, and all others follow, if they can, in snow and ice.

There is one trike kit that has only one rear caliper but it's not a Hannigan or CSC, and to me those two are the best. I think Hannigan also retains the OEM ABS.

Any vehicle that is heavier in the rear than the front will try to put the heavy end in front if it looses traction while braking.

Any vehicle in a panic stop will have weight shift toward the front. And on the Venture there is no ABS.

On two wheel sport or sport touring bikes 90% of the stopping power in the front brake, on cruisers it is 75% to 80%. Now I'm sure it is even less on a trike, but it still has to be substantial just because of the weight shift. I have seen studies on the stopping distance with front only, rear only, and both for several bikes. I have never seen a similar study on trikes.

So if it is 80% on a two wheel, the basic force on the front in a hard stop is near 750lbs X the energy from the inertial force of whatever speed you are going. Physics also tells us it is impossible for the front to take less than 50% of the stopping force, even if no front brake is used. So with the added weight of a trike, the front end will have the same amount of force exerted on it when breaking with no front break as a two wheel does when using both. And up to 1.25 times normal when using both.

While the front end on these bike might well be designed strong enough to take the extra, it is still a concern I have.

And the vehicle I was talking about was my old VW Bug, which on more than one occasion when I lived in Michigan ended up backward in the road when I had to stop quickly in the winter.

And 1# best vehicle for traction, both going and stopping, would be a 4x4 like my Jeep Wrangler.:sun1:

A few thoughts & ramblings here from my experince of having owned a trike for the last two years.

While the trike is heavier (400 lbs more) than the regular two wheeled RSV's as other's have said you get more brakes and the added traction of the car tires on back. I've never experinced any situation where the bike wanted to swap ends either. The balance point does move rearward about a foot / foot & a half. I think that the bike is actually a bit more balanced out over the regular RSV's.

My conversion kit came with a solid axle set up with drum brakes. I never was happy with the braking power of the drums so converted over to a disc brake system I salvaged from a Ford car. In a real panic stopping situation prio to the disc brake conversion most of the braking was being done by the front discs. Now in a simliar situation it's a lot more evened out. Now I can use just the rear brakes if I want in say a smooth & moderate stop from normal driving under 50 mph.

Concerning the solid axle over the IRS systems if I would of had a choice I would of gotten a IRS. They do give a smoother ride.

As too the front end not handling the stopping I didn't see where one needs to update anything there. When I converted the bike I did upgrade the springs installing a non-progressive and heavier set. Forget which company I used at the moment thou. Knowing that there would be added weight not only in a static mode or normal riding there would also be more loading on the front when braking thus my reasons for upgrading the springs while I had the bike apart and getting the trees raked.

As I said in an earlier post the Wings do have the trike market covered pretty good and seems to be the bike of choice for converting. Those Stallion trikes are nice too. Not you usual run of the mill mc coversion but a true ground up design. From reports I've seen on the trike web sites they handle great too. I guess it all comes down to what one likes and is willing to pay to be on three wheels.

Anyhow as you can see from the posts here there's many opinions. It's great that we have all of these options to choose from as well.

Larry

I don't have a trike but I have been doing a lot of research on them lately and I've come to this conclusion, according to what I hqave read from specs and other owners; If possible i would try to ride the conversion you are thinking of getting. Then, also ride another conversion. I have owned two Ventures and loved both of them. My last bike was a 2008 Goldwing which I also loved. I would have to say that I would get a GW trike over the Venture, but that is just me. But I do know that I would go with a conversion that had independent rear suspension. Hannigan, CSC and Motor Trike have IRS. The Lehman conversions, which is what the new Harley Triglides are, has a solid rear axle. It's a great trike but I personally like the IRS. I have also been looking at (and test rode) the new Spyder RT. It has a lot going for it but it's not for everyone. Whatever you decide, I hope you have many miles of smiles !! Good luck.

Rich, are you back on a Venture? What happened to the GW? I'm still running the BUBS. Like the sound but a noticeable loss of MPG. Guess I just ride it harder for the sound..

• 1 month later...

Hey Tom..I was just perusing the threads and saw your post from awhile back. If you're still reading no, I am not back on a Venture. Goldwing was totaled from when I was T-boned. Haven't gotten another bike yet. Started to get a Spyder but after a second ride and no response from the dealer as to a firm out-the-door- price I gave up on them. I am seriously thinking about a GW trike but have never ridden a conventional trike and want to do so before I make a decision. Wife is stone cold against another two wheeler and I don't blame her.....she worries a lot about me on one. But she gave me the go-ahead for a trike. Just too busy right now to get to a dealer to demo one. Next time you're over this way please stop by. We'll have a cold something !! Was trying to get in touch with you.