IGNORED

vibration at 70mph

very light vibration at 70 and up is this something to be concerned about?

double check see if you're not riding a Harley by mistake..

Vibrations are felt where, in the feet, hands or butt?

Is it a high or low frequency?

Have you had any maintenance or make any changes to your bike recently?

Have you gone over your bike to check for loose bolts, screws or panels? (recheck your side bags for tightness, highways light mounts if you have them etc etc.)

2,001 things can cause any vibes but it's hard to tell if it's ok or baaaaad..

I run 40 front 42 rear for tires. 10 front 30 rear for shocks. That is a little high for front shock I think most only run about 7 or 8. Progressive springs in the front is great idea if you have very many miles. My scoot only has 24k and I'm still on orginal springs but starting to think about the Progressives. But i don't want my front end any higher in the air.

It comes off the ground easy enough!!:rotfl::rotfl:

I got a little vibration myself, but I think mine is caused by the unbalanced tires or type of tires. I'm going to be changing tires soon and hope mine goes away. My Second Gen is definately not as smooth as the First Gen, but hope to fix that by next year....

Here are few more suggestions.

Does it fade out if you exceed 70 mph, if so then tire balance most likely is your suspect.

(tire vibration from badly balanced tires tend to gradualy come in at certian road speeds and fade out as you exceed that road speed )

Does the bike feel like it dancing from side to side a bit or bucking. then possibly bad tire.

Do you feel it increase slightly as you back off the throttle suddenly and coast down specialy in the lower gears, then driveline possibly bad u joint in the shaft drive.

Also check your wheel bearings.

Carbs are sync. What pressures should a 245lbs. guy be running in the shocks and tires?

just wee lad are ye?

Consider that the manuals refer to an 'average rider' to be 6 foot tall and 160 lbs on the hoof, I haven't seen too many wee lads like that in ages.. So consider you're close a person and a half.. riding up with a wee child on the back..

what works for me, and perhaps for you, is 40 in the front, 42 in the rear, 47 in rear shock and 5 in front shocks.. you'll want to be careful when doing the front shocks as to not blow them out..

You can play with those pressures until you find something that suites your needs..

Here are few more suggestions.

Does it fade out if you exceed 70 mph, if so then tire balance most likely is your suspect.

(tire vibration from badly balanced tires tend to gradualy come in at certian road speeds and fade out as you exceed that road speed

Too add a little to this:

speed and gears.. if you experience the vibes at 70 mph in both 4th and 5th, then you've most likely ruled out engine or drive train as part of the culprit.. then you're looking at something constant, like the wheels, bearings, something loose on the bike.. etc..

If it comes and goes depending on the gears at same speed, then it's mechanical..

its not a strong vibration it just feel different at 70 and up

OH.. then that's what "speed" feels like.. :)

The faster I go on mine, and higher the revs, say 80 mph in 4th (and faster), the bike is like screaming down rails, rock tight and smoooooooth.. freaky as heck! Almost like you're going faster than the speed of sound and vibes.. well almost ;)

Any other RSV riders in your area you trust enough to take your bike out on a test run to see if it's similar to theirs? My buddy's 2008 RSV feels very different to my 2006, but similar enough... his vibes, slight ones, are in different ranges and speeds.. nothing extraordinary or to worry about..

Are the vibes that you are experiencing causing you any annoyances or feelings of danger, or are they just there and you are curious about it, as to what might cause them and what can you hopefully do to remedy them?

Ok Here's what I found so far. Please remember I just bought this 99 a month ago. Any way the front shock were not even and one had 14 psi and the other 10. I have them at 7 psi now. My front tire had 31 psi in it and my rear had 42. I took the rear to 46 and the front to 37. I also found the rear shock at 28 psi i brought that up to 35.

Does everthing sound better now?

Ok Here's what I found so far. Please remember I just bought this 99 a month ago. Any way the front shock were not even and one had 14 psi and the other 10. I have them at 7 psi now. My front tire had 31 psi in it and my rear had 42. I took the rear to 46 and the front to 37. I also found the rear shock at 28 psi i brought that up to 35.

Does everthing sound better now?

46 in the rear tire sounds high to me, though some people ride them to the full max.. 42 lbs should do you better for handling and wear.. the front shocks have a max limit of 10 psi if I am not mistaken, so it being at 14 might have caused some damage? Not sure.. but you should find it handling better at even pressures.. If you find your front forks leaking or bouncing too much, perhaps doing a Progressive Spring upgrade might be in order.. maybe?

46 in the rear tire sounds high to me, though some people ride them to the full max.. 42 lbs should do you better for handling and wear.. the front shocks have a max limit of 10 psi if I am not mistaken, so it being at 14 might have caused some damage? Not sure.. but you should find it handling better at even pressures.. If you find your front forks leaking or bouncing too much, perhaps doing a Progressive Spring upgrade might be in order.. maybe?

Depends on what type of tire, Avons more air, Bridgestones what the manual states, most other makes, in between the two. :whistling: