IGNORED

New 1982 Yamaha Maxim

adventurer 08

Today i purchased a 1982 Yamaha Maxim 750 for a run around bike. Its in great shape and needs very litte work. I plan to just give it a good clean up and maybe a dark red paint job. Is there any members out there that also own one that can give me any pro's or con's on the bike? i'm also going to be looking for a owners manual and a repair manual. Any tips would be helpful.

My last bike was a 650 Max.

Other than the standard Yamaha fuse panel and stator plug the XJs are bullet proof. Oh, wait, 2nd gen guy: If it still has glass tube fuses replace the panel, it's about to fail. I see a lot of XJs through my shop and it's always routine maintenance unless they've been neglected or abused.

One thing to do is replace the rear brake shoes. Some people have had trouble with the linings delaminating due to age. In theory that can lock the rear wheel.

You'll find that the engine really likes to rev, and you should let it. The engine really doesn't start to produce torque until about 3Krpm, at about 7Krpm it'll feel like you lit afterburners. At freeway speeds you're turning about 6Krpm which will take some getting used to after your V4. Seats on them are notoriously uncomfortable for anyone over the age of 29, although yours looks like it might have been customized - almost certainaly an improvement.

You might want to register for the forums at www.xjbikes.com. There is a guy there that specializes in parts for them (new and used). Not only are his prices better than the dealer he stocks the parts so you'll have them in a few days rather than a week or more through the dealer. He should have your manuals too.

Edited by MiCarl

I bought a 1981 maxim 550 in about 1984. Other than scads of tires and miles of chain I never had to do anything with it. I rode it for 20 years and gave it to my brother in law this spring.

Without a doubt the best machine I have ever owned.:cool10:

I had an '83 750 Maxim and loved it. As was already mentioned above it was strong and virtually bulletproof. The only problems I ever had was leaving the choke on and crudding up the plugs. It would sputter and hesitate... Then I learned by accident all I had to do was ride a few miles really torquing it and the plugs would be just like new. Aside from that never an issue, I loved that bike nearly as much as my '78 650 Special, and that was a bunch!

Adventure 08

Along with the info already provided, you might check out XJBikes.com. More good info there. My eldest daughter had ridden an 81 XJ650 Maxim from Ohio to Vancouver, Canada and back. No issues. If yours is a YICS engine you might need to buy or make a special tool to sync the carbs. Basically a long tube that goes through the head and blocks off the YICS passages. There is some debate about this.

I think you'll find the XJ community much like the Venture community. They host Carb Clinics around the country and are as passionate about their bikes as this group is.

Enjoy the bike, and enjoy the community.

Paul

I had a 1980 Maxim I new in 1980. Was a great bike and I ended putting 24K on it in about 3 years. I even had a 6300 3 week vacation on it out to California from Illinois. I had the Vetter fairing and a rack on it. I will have to find a pic of it loaded and post it here.

I would love to have another one, but the other half says one is enough for now and plus I have a storage issue anyway.

The only issue I had was the small gas tank made it hard on trips as if I remember right it was only a little over 3 gallons.

Enjoy the bike as they are nice ones.

Rick F.

Maxims have seats that feel like "a shark is taking bites out of your azz" after about 150 miles. My good friend Tod from XS11.com rides and 1100 and he found some seat covers by Stearns, at wal-mart for about $20, and they really help.

TC over at that same site has sold some replacement fuse blocks that use ATC blade type fuses. I think he gets $10 each shipped. Its the same as Skydoc sells here, but without the extra junction points. They can be had at different websites for $7 or so. The neatest setup I have seen though is using individual micro fuse holders zip tied neatly in to place. The previous owner of my 79 XS11 did this and it is pretty nice, and lower profile than the fuse block.

I have had a 1983 750 Maxim since 1990... and I love it. It is mine for another 3 days, and then it passes to it's next owner. Great bikes, love to get past 6000 rpm.

I restored mine after 12 years of storage, with a lot of help from the xjbikes website. A great crew over there (very similar to here), and there are tons of owners everywhere willing to help you if you're stumped.

There is an online manual somewhere on that site, if you can't find it, send me a PM and I'l figure out how to get you my copy.

If there is anything you want to ask, I can't guarentee I know the answer, but I might...

Good luck.

:thumbsup:

I have had a 1983 750 Maxim since 1990... and I love it. It is mine for another 3 days, and then it passes to it's next owner. Great bikes, love to get past 6000 rpm.

I restored mine after 12 years of storage, with a lot of help from the xjbikes website. A great crew over there (very similar to here), and there are tons of owners everywhere willing to help you if you're stumped.

There is an online manual somewhere on that site, if you can't find it, send me a PM and I'l figure out how to get you my copy.

If there is anything you want to ask, I can't guarentee I know the answer, but I might...

Good luck.

:thumbsup:

Thanks for the offer on the manual and some help.I'm sure i'll need a hand down the road. I already joined xjbikes.com. It seems like a pretty good website but not as good as this one!!!!!

Thanks for the offer on the manual and some help.I'm sure i'll need a hand down the road. I already joined xjbikes.com. It seems like a pretty good website but not as good as this one!!!!!

It is a pretty good site. It's less social and more about turning wrenches than this one.

You do have to keep your BS filter on for some of the advice you'll get. Lots of youngsters (and a few oldsters) that say more than they know.