IGNORED

bowhunting advice

BuckShot

Any bowhunters here that use a decoy ? Is it worth it to buy one ?

I have rattled in a few real big 8 and 10 pointers, only to have them hang up about 40 or more yards out. The 1 1/2 to 2 year old 4,6,and 8 pts. seem to come on in.

That's why they're 8-10 points... :)

not saying not to use one , but Ive triede and had the same results as you describe even with a decoy. Most of the time its something your doing not something your not.

Idsnt it a little early to ratle horns yet.If you rattle around here now you might as well go home. Good luck

David

not saying not to use one , but Ive triede and had the same results as you describe even with a decoy. Most of the time its something your doing not something your not.

Idsnt it a little early to ratle horns yet.If you rattle around here now you might as well go home. Good luck

David

Its not scent,movement or anything I can figure except the old bucks just being cautious. I spot them way out and quit rattleing, only grunt once in a great while to get their attention back. I have mixed feelings about spending the money on a decoy. The one time I did have a big 8 point 20 yrd from me after rattleing was because I had rattled in a spike and forkhorn that were in front of me. He seen them and came on in. Lucky for him, he stayed behind a downed tree and no shot. I realize that most of the time I would be carrying it in and out because we don't have alot of 4 yr olds and older running around, but at least once a yr during the rutt I have an old bruiser hang up out of range and walk off

David--Thanks Just thinking alittle ahead.

Gil

best luck i've had has been from preseason scouting , setting up on a good scrape line and staying in the stand. good luck, thumper1[/quote

Still hunt scape lines, but found my best action around does 2 weeks before the rut,right up to the rut. Bucks seem to be cruisen more and checking out the does. A little grunt and rattle seems peak their interest and gets them moving to see whats up.

A little history---Been bowhunting for 25 yrs. I love bowhunting in Jan with the snow on. Don't hardley use the guns anymore. I use the bow in gun season.

:innocent:In other words it's an ego thing:stickpoke: Had a flight instructor many, many moons ago who used to say "anything between 8 and 80, as long as there's a ...ummmm, ....... errrr........ " Well, you fill in the blank. Meat is meat, and I'm guessing younger is better.

Bow hunters are not there just to kill things. We enjoy just being there. I don't care to harvest very young animals who have not had a chance to mature and show thier genetic potential. Heck I may pass up shots a 20 or 30 does just to harvest a muture doe that does not have a yearling with her. The best advise I have heard.

"If you wan't to kill a BIG BUCK, quit shooting the little ones."

I have not used a decoy and my best trick for getting old buck to close the gap is a snort weez. I don't us a factory call, just my mouth, and do it very seldom. Over use of a grunt call or rattling horns is probably the biggest mistake I've made in the past.

:innocent:In other words it's an ego thing:stickpoke: Had a flight instructor many, many moons ago who used to say "anything between 8 and 80, as long as there's a ...ummmm, ....... errrr........ " Well, you fill in the blank. Meat is meat, and I'm guessing younger is better.

To me the ideal deer is 1-1/2 year old doe as far as meat goes.

Many hunters want the bragging rights of getting that monster buck.

I know people that their only interest is in that rack, they donate the rest of the buck to a food pantry.

A good decoy does make a difference.

I set the decoy up as a small 8 point buck right on the trail near a scrape where it can be seen from as far away as possible, and use an appropriate scent near the decoy (Never put scent on the decoy for safety reasons). When the big buck hangs up just looking at that smaller buck all it takes is a snort wheeze challenge call and in he comes fast to kick some a$$. But be ready cuz he will come in fast for the kill and as soon as he hits it and realizes that hes been had he will move out even faster.

I NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, use a decoy during any gun season. I don't need bullets from some yahoo whizzing around me.

Over the years I've had mixed results using a decoy. When they work they are exciting, when they don't they are a lot to pack in and out. If you are using a buck decoy place it facing your location, if as a doe decoy face it away. As they say you can't hunt from the couch got to be in the timber.

Good luck and good hunting.

I have not used a decoy and my best trick for getting old buck to close the gap is a snort weez. I don't us a factory call, just my mouth, and do it very seldom. Over use of a grunt call or rattling horns is probably the biggest mistake I've made in the past.

I grunt, bleat,snort wheez and fawn call with my mouth when they are close in. Your right, most hunters overdue it with the rattleing and calling. If you want to have some excitment, destress fawn call to the does and watch them come running in to kick a**

and save the fawn.

Over the years I've had mixed results using a decoy. When they work they are exciting, when they don't they are a lot to pack in and out.

Good luck and good hunting.

Thats the main reason I have been delaying buying a decoy. But, if it brings in the big boy that one time for the shot..........

Bow hunters are not there just to kill things. We enjoy just being there. I don't care to harvest very young animals who have not had a chance to mature and show thier genetic potential. Heck I may pass up shots a 20 or 30 does just to harvest a muture doe that does not have a yearling with her.

:sign yeah that: I have passed up young 8 pointers that were 2 or 3 just to let them mature.

If I shoot a buck that is young, I try to pick one that does not have the genetics to grow large antlers.

3 yrs ago another hunter was not allowed to hunt on a private farm because he shot a 10 pointer the yr before that was 2 yrs old. only had 4 inch G2 tines and pencil thin. That left onlyl me hunting that farm :sign woo hoo: Could the rest of you hunters imagine what he would have been like at 4 or 5. If he would have lived that long without connecting with a car or another hunter on neihboring farms.

:sign yeah that: I have passed up young 8 pointers that were 2 or 3 just to let them mature.

If I shoot a buck that is young, I try to pick one that does not have the genetics to grow large antlers.

3 yrs ago another hunter was not allowed to hunt on a private farm because he shot a 10 pointer the yr before that was 2 yrs old. only had 4 inch G2 tines and pencil thin. That left onlyl me hunting that farm :sign woo hoo: Could the rest of you hunters imagine what he would have been like at 4 or 5. If he would have lived that long without connecting with a car or another hunter on neihboring farms.

There are very few hunters I've met who have the knowledge or patience that you exhibit.

Thats just good deer management, let that youngun spread some of his genetics and it will be good for many years. I have passed shots on big deer just because the shot wasn't good. I wanted to take them in an awful bad way, but it could have turned bad very easily. I think the biggest thing with any hunter is to calm down. I have had buck fever so bad at times I could have chewed through leather. The saying "calm down, Breath, pick a spot" is never more true.

There are very few hunters I've met who have the knowledge or patience that you exhibit.

Thanks---I read and watch alot of hunting. I blood trail every deer that I have shot even if it falls in site. You can never learn enough. Bowhunting is up close and personal, the more time you spend around deer and watching them in the woods the more you learn,and then you still make mistakes. I try to practice deer management but its hard when the neighbors shoot any deer within range. Why fill a doe tag with a 2 yr old that has alot of yrs left to produce more offspring.

Anyway guys, Thanks for the input.

I have been rereading alot of the articals that I have saved on decoying and I will probably get one. It just another tool to use to get that old mossey horns closer for the shot.

Gil