IGNORED

Jumping to a 2nd Gen...Your thoughts???

yamadawg

OK... I am SERIOUSLY considering buying a 2003 Midnight Venture. Wow it sure looks good. I have loved my '83 Standard and the '88 Royale that I have now. Unfortunately, if I get the '03 the '88 will have to go. I have never spent any time on a 2nd generation machine. Those of you that have made the jump... and any others with an opinion... what are your thoughts on this move?

OK... I am SERIOUSLY considering buying a 2003 Midnight Venture. Wow it sure looks good. I have loved my '83 Standard and the '88 Royale that I have now. Unfortunately, if I get the '03 the '88 will have to go. I have never spent any time on a 2nd generation machine. Those of you that have made the jump... and any others with an opinion... what are your thoughts on this move?

I've had an '85 and then an '87 ... loved both bikes but I wanted something new or almost new so I got my '06 RSMV. LOVE the bike! Love the looks, love the ride, love the lack of all that ABS...so much easier to work on. Wife loves it better too. The Whine and engine sounds are annoying but livable. I found that I don't ride it as aggressively as either of my 1st gen's nor does it have the "OOOMPH" that they did but it's quick enuf! LOVE the BLACK but a real PITA to keep clean.

Go for it! Ride before you buy.

Jumped from an 83 to a 99 6 years ago and havent looked back yet. In my opinion the 2nd gen is a much better all around bike. I found it to be more comfortable, more leg room, more passenger room and better overall looks. I know the 1st gens might (loosely used term) be quicker and more nimble but these are still touring bikes and not canyon carvers. A 2nd gen is top heavy and it will take a bit to get used to it but I still wont give it up now for any other bike. :Avatars_Gee_George:

I owed an 83 brandy new back in the day. Loved that bike. Later I bought a very nice 89 from Boo. Loved that bike too. It was fast if I wanted it to be and handled like a sport bike....I think.....never drove one of those.

It got though, so long distance was bothering my legs alot...I couldnt get comfortable with the foot position even with riding pegs on.

Went to the second gen and havent looked back, although if I could I would own a 1st gen for "bopping" around.

You gotta go for a ride to see if its your style. Then take momma for a spin to see if its her style. But dont do that if its not your style! She will love the extra room and comfort.

I owned a 85, 86, 91 Royales and bought a new 01. In my opinion the best of the bunch was my 85. It handled the best. The second generation, has 3 things that are better than the old ones: better head light, better brakes, and is more comfortable. The electronics are inferior by far. No computirized suspension. (try to get an accurate reading on the PSI on the shocks!! good luck!). No center stand. No computirized diognastic system. One lousy light bulb in the back (better hope it does not burn out at night).

I your old present bike runs fine' keep it.

Thank you all for the replies! :banana:Well, I did it!:banana: We are making the jump (and being very careful to cover all of the important parts) to the "new to us" bike. It is a '03 Midnight RSV with loads of chrome. It also has harley mufflers and rear lights, something I reallly, really like. The previous owner was short and lowered the front so I'll have to raise it back up later, something to do over the winter. The bike has only 15K miles and appears to have been very well maintained. I'll try to attach photos.

Now, I can't wait to pick it up on Thursday for the trip to Chattanooga on Friday, then the "maiden voyage" Trail of Tears ride on Saturday!

Thanks again everyone, :banana:Whoo-Hoo!!!:banana:

Don

I did the same thing this past June. Went from my 86 VR that I owned for 13 yaers to a 2002 Midnight. Definately two very different machines. Each one has its advantages. I really enjoy the 2nd Gen, but when its comes to performance, handling and power, the First Gen will win hands down. When I want a big comfortable cruiser, back to the 2nd Gen.....