IGNORED

Aftermarket TCI available!

• 1 month later...
Took the bike on a 300 mile this past holiday weekend. Both of us were on the bike the entire weekend. Using the Ignitech TCI with the MAP sensor but using the plug and play settings we got 35 to 38 miles per gallon. Better than what I got before.

The performance was excellent as well. Acceleration was superb, no pings, no knocks no hesitation.

I'm impressed.

I'm glad it working well for you.

I think it's a little odd that it's running so well for you. If you're running the map that came in it, your MAP sensor isn't doing anything so you have no vacuum advance. And on mine the stock map was so conservative that is was obviously down on power and MPG.

I'm wondering if IgniTech change the advance curve that comes in it stock. Can you send me a copy of the file so I can compare it to the stock file from mine?

I'll PM you my email address.

For the members using the Ignitech unit:

There is a new version of the TCIP4 software and guide posted on the Ignitech site.

This version updates the *****.ign file that is programmed into the module. Once it is opened and then saved with this version, the old version of the software will not open it. You will get a warning box when you first open ****.ign files saying it is an older version and some parameters that are new are being set to default values.

I have not tried this new version in bike because it is not in any condition for that now.

Gary

I loaded the with MAP 11e file in the new TCIP4 software (tcip4_v80) and the old software (v75, but on the CD that came with mine the file was named 090715a_tcip4) side by side. I went through all the parameters and everything is the same. So I save the file with the new version and loaded it into my bike. I've put about 100mi on it and as far as I can tell it's not any different. And it should be since all the values look to be the same but I wanted to try it just to be certain.

The v80 software has a updated user interface that's a bit more intuitive and few new options that shouldn't concern us unless you're messing with Vboost from/on a Vmax.

There also is a new TEST tab that allows you to manually make a few things happen, probably for trouble shooting purposes.

I will update the OP to include info about TCIP4 v80.

So I save the file with the new version and loaded it into my bike. I've put about 100mi on it and as far as I can tell it's not any different. .

I'm not sure how I did it, but I actually loaded the v75 version of the 11e file back into my bike. Not the v80 version like I thought. :doh: So ZERO miles have been put on the 80v of the 11e file.

I found this out when I tried to change to different file and the v80 software wouldn't let me load it into the TCIP4. Anytime I open the v80 software while connected to the TCIP4 with the key on you get a warning saying the versions don't match and that the dwell value is of limits. The Read, Verify, and Program buttons are greyed out and all but the TEST tabs are missing.

Also the tach reads 41,000 RPM :shock3:

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6024/5925229652_c394202f37_o.png

It appears that you're going to have to use the version of the software that came with your TCIP4.

I have an email into IgniTech to verify this. I'll post the info when I hear back.

I tried to load mine yesterday with the new software as well. I have the same screen as Todd is getting.

Old version 75 software is working as before, but the V80 version won't let me do anything.

Also sent an email last night to them to see how to handle this.

Gary

Got an email back from IgniTech saying that you have to use the software version that came with your TCIP4.

But you can take a v75 file, open it with v80 software, and program it to a v80 TCIP4 but you can't open a v80 file with v75 at all.

I've undated the OP to include v80 info

A friend needed a CDI for his Triumph and someone one gave me a link to pass to him. Well after research, he found a company in CA. Don't know what else the unit would work with but here is the link.

http://www.procomeng.com/index.php?view=catalog&cat_id=5&brand_id=9&model_id=124>

Maybe this will help someone.

MIKE aka Uturn

:Venture:

• 7 months later...

Today I installed a MAP sensor on my 1:gen XVZ12. I have the Ignitech TCI but have used it without MAP sensor so far. The first thing I noticed was that the idle is now 1500 rpm instead of 1000. Perhaps that's a good sign? The bike feels like it has gained more grunt. Pulling like a train from 2000 rpm! Or, it's my imagination...:confused24: I installed the MAP without any restrictor to #1 cyl synch port. The MAP have a very small entering hole (ca 1-2 mm) so I decide to try without. But looking how the values jumped around on the PC made me wonder if I shouldn't add a restrictor after all.

It looks like you are using the stock IGN file that Ignitech supplied from what I can see on your laptop.

PM me an email address and I will send you a slightly better IGN file.

I can't send it via this site due to site security policies.

Also I will send some pictures of what I have done to smooth out the pulsing you are seeing.

The latest version of TCIP4 from Ignitech (V88) seems to have addressed this pulsing, even though I do not think it is a problem, only really can detect it when watching PC display.

Gary

Attached is a zip file that contains the TCIP4_V88 software and an IGN file for a 83-89 Venture. This is the one I furnish.

The IGN file will work in your TCIP4_V80 module as is. It will also load into the TCIP4_V88 software.

The current TCIP4 V80 module you have will not work with the V88 software, there has been a hardware change in TCI's. Software is 'reference only'.

Once you load a program into the V88 version & save it, I don't think it will then load with the V80 software.

Also attached are a couple of pictures of a vacuum canister I made from some PVC tubing and end caps. I epoxied a couple of barb hose fittings into one end. This helps smooth out the bouncing you see on laptop display, but not really necessary.

Gary

• 2 months later...

Hi everyone. I'm a brand new trial member and I found your place specifically through this thread. About a month ago I purchased an 84 Venture project that had a 1300 engine swapped for a broken 1200. The previous owner had swapped the good 13 for the bad 12 and he told me he had it running but it quit and he couldn't get it to run again. Anyway, he sold me the entire thing incuding the bad 1200 engine; he'd even bought an 88 wiring harness with TCI box that he incuded.

So, I have an 84 Venture (not the Royal) that isn't damaged but didin't fire with the old TCI. I bought another TCI off ebay and the bike starts with it but there's no spark on cyl #3. I've checked the pickup coils for resistance and they seem fine. I've swapped the coil leads from cyl #2 which fires fine to #3 and that fires fine, so I'm sure the coil, plug and plug wire is fine on #3.

All I could figure was that the TCI was bad, so and this is where this thread comes in - I searched online for someone selling new ignition boxes for the Venture and I found this thread.

I ordered a TCI-P4 unit from Ignitech, it has arrived and what do you think? Nothing!! The bike won't fire or even cough. It isn't even as good as the old TCI it's repacing.

I've emailed Ignitech for help but they may be on vacation, I don't know.

I installed the software and connected their unit to my laptop and when I hit the starter button it does show rpm and pickup coil signals but there's no spark at the plugs.

I expected their unit to plug and play and I don't know where to go from here.

Can I use their software to tell me what's going on?

Any help would be appreciated.

Dan

Hi everyone. I'm a brand new trial member and I found your place specifically through this thread. About a month ago I purchased an 84 Venture project that had a 1300 engine swapped for a broken 1200. The previous owner had swapped the good 13 for the bad 12 and he told me he had it running but it quit and he couldn't get it to run again. Anyway, he sold me the entire thing incuding the bad 1200 engine; he'd even bought an 88 wiring harness with TCI box that he incuded.

So, I have an 84 Venture (not the Royal) that isn't damaged but didin't fire with the old TCI. I bought another TCI off ebay and the bike starts with it but there's no spark on cyl #3. I've checked the pickup coils for resistance and they seem fine. I've swapped the coil leads from cyl #2 which fires fine to #3 and that fires fine, so I'm sure the coil, plug and plug wire is fine on #3.

All I could figure was that the TCI was bad, so and this is where this thread comes in - I searched online for someone selling new ignition boxes for the Venture and I found this thread.

I ordered a TCI-P4 unit from Ignitech, it has arrived and what do you think? Nothing!! The bike won't fire or even cough. It isn't even as good as the old TCI it's repacing.

I've emailed Ignitech for help but they may be on vacation, I don't know.

I installed the software and connected their unit to my laptop and when I hit the starter button it does show rpm and pickup coil signals but there's no spark at the plugs.

I expected their unit to plug and play and I don't know where to go from here.

Can I use their software to tell me what's going on?

Any help would be appreciated.

Dan

Ingitech has been know to miswire the adapter wire harness. This will need to be inspected. There are also multiple versions of tcip4 out, they started at v75, and v80, but we recently had a group buy for a v88 version. We need to make sure what version hardware you have, and ensure you have the correct software for the 84 venture.

I will have to wait until on home PC to be any more help, but Gary-DINGY may pop in and go thru some of this with you. You may already have figured it out, but you will also likely need to learn how to open the correct version software, then upload that file to the bike.

#3 cyl is often the first to go in the stock TCI, so I think your assumption is right, your eBay TCI is bad. But since it makes your bike run, we can probably assume that a good TCI will fix your issues.

I haven't been keeping up with the Ignitech hardware changes but as Brian mentioned, we've seen one or two Ignitech harnesses wired incorrectly. There is a detailed breakdown of the harness in this thread.

Also, did you load a new map onto the box? Or is it just as you got it? Again, I don't know about the latest hardware, but on the earlier ones in the software you had to change the Motorbike Type to Special Setting, under the Bike tab to get it to run at all. Even then it was WAY under powered. But user generated ignition maps from this site will make it run as good as stock, maybe better.

Also as Brian mentioned, there are 3 different versions of the software and you need to have the right map and software to go with your hardware. So it would help alot if you can tell us what software you're using and where you got the map you tried to upload.

1st thing you need to see what is going on with the TCI is a cable that you can hook it up to a laptop with. Normally this is a 9 pin com cable. Very few laptops have a 9 pin serial port on them. Most have a 9 pin VGA port, this is usually blue color. The VGA port will not work as a com port though. What this leaves is to get a 9 pin com to USB cable. Link below to one at tiger direct. About $20 with shipping.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=690719&CatId=447

On the white connector on the Ignitech TCI box itself there is sometimes a tag telling version. V75, V80 or V88.

Can you get me some close up pictures of the adapter harness on each end so that I can see how wiring is configured. That is about all we can do until you get a way to hook a PC up to it.

You should have gotten a CD with it from ignitech. Email me the small file on the CD, it will have the file extension .IGN.

I will PM you my email address, you have to email it due to we can't PM files on this site.

I will help you as much as I can with this.

Gary

Hi, I bought the cable from Ignitech along with the TCI so that's fine. The TCI is V80. Brian sent me an ignition file he said is known to work and I've just now followed his instructions to program the TCI, which seemed to go OK but the bike still doesn't fire at all.

I'll attach photos of the wiring.

I'll attach photos of the wiring.

The wiring that Ignitech gets wrong often is the two blue wires.

Verify that the blue wire in the 8 pin connector is going to the 20 pin connector position 14, this is the slot next to the red wire in position 13.

If it is not going to correct position on 20 pin connector, you need to swap the 2 blue wires. This is easiest to do at the 6 & 8 pin connectors.

If these are correct, then in the TCIP4 software, try turning off Inputs #1 & #2. These are on the Miscellaneous tab of software, left center of screen. You need to upload program anytime you make a change. Just changing it on computer screen does to change it in TCI until program is uploaded. You will see a blue bar on the screen when program is completing. Only a couple of seconds.

How long ago has it been since you bought the TCI from Ignitech?

Gary

No change. I checked the wires and the blues are going where you say they should. I set the sensors to NO and the inputs to off and still no spark.

I ordered the TCI just over a week ago. It was shipped from them 4/20/2012.

I see from your profile that you have an 84 with a 1300 motor.

Do you know what year the motor is from?

If it is a 90-93 motor, that is why it is not starting, the pickup coils are different.

What is the model # on the TCI that was running?

3JJ prefix and it is 90-93

41R and it is 84-89

26H and it is an 83

Gary

Can you read the program that is in the TCI now, its a button on the upper menu, this will download the program in TCI to software.

Then save this program to your PC with a unique name & email to Brian & myself, so we can see what is happening.

Gary