IGNORED

Danger; Low Water Crossing

Bob Myers

Went for a country road ride yesterday, on my Vulcan, ran about 120 miles or so, never more than40 miles from home at any given point, sort of a big semi-circle.

Last leg of the ride i was on a road that 2 bicycles would have trouble passing each other on. I rounded a curve, came upon a low water crossing. I stopped before I even got to the edge of the water, could see easily see it was no more than a couple inches deep. I started across, being cautious, knowing it was likely somewhat slippery. I had no idea just how slippery though. 15 foot onto the crossing the rear went north, the front went south, and I landed on my side with the 800 on top of me, it happened so fast that I was still holding onto the handlebars and looking at water running in my helmet. I mean, it was literally a blink of the eye and I was down. I scurried out from under it and hit the kill button, I then reached down and picked it up with my left hand, sat it on the kickstand. I took my helmet off and sat it on my sissybar, it was then I noticed my bike was moving! Sideways! the current was pushing my bike sideways while it was on the sidestand. Water was only a couple inches deep, not even over my shoes. I jumped on and fired it back up, and surprisingly it fired easily, I was already still in first gear so I eased the clutch out, not giving any gas. It started spinning! Even more sideways now, almost pointing straight into the flow of the water. It started to move forward, idling, pointing at a 45ºangle to the flow/direction I wanted to go. Yep, I had to "drift" it across. When I got to the other side and stopped on dry pavement is when I noticed the pain. At least one broken rib, sticking out about 2" from my ribcage, and at least 5 or more ribs bruised badly. Not a scratch or a mark on my bike. Nothing. Not even a scratch on my windshield.

In the blink of an eye, and going less than idle speed in first gear! Yea, wife wanted to see the spot that finally put me down. I've been riding since 1968 and that is my first down on a street bike, that is her in the Jeep crossing the crossing

Well Bob...Here's hoping for a quick recovery and as little pain as possible! I know the pain of a busted rib, been there, done that, didn't even get a tee shirt. I bet that water was there long enough to grow a layer of moss just below the surface, and that can be as slick as ice! We get moss on the roads alot here in the PNW especially in the spring and early summer.

Well Bob...Here's hoping for a quick recovery and as little pain as possible! I know the pain of a busted rib, been there, done that, didn't even get a tee shirt. I bet that water was there long enough to grow a layer of moss just below the surface, and that can be as slick as ice! We get moss on the roads alot here in the PNW especially in the spring and early summer.

That appears to be the culprit, brown furry stuff

Hope you take care of your broken rib. BTW, what did you hit your ribs on. I'm trying to visualise you still stting on the bike with it leaning over. Was it the handle bars that hit your ribs or the ground? Either case its a sad story. Glad you posted this. I learned something.

Hope you take care of your broken rib. BTW, what did you hit your ribs on. I'm trying to visualise you still stting on the bike with it leaning over. Was it the handle bars that hit your ribs or the ground? Either case its a sad story. Glad you posted this. I learned something.

Since my left elbow is sore too, on the side nearest my body I figure it did the deed. There is a scuff on my leather jacket directly opposite of the sore spot, so that had to be what it was. From all evidence I fell with full weight(210lbs) onto my arm and pushed it into my side. I was a good captain and went down with the ship. I was still holding on when the water starting coming in my helmet, which by the way did not have a scuff or mark on it either. I think any one who reads this can learn something from it, I know I sure did. We went back out there Sunday evening, the algae/moss/mud on the surface is as slick as ice. Put your foot on it and it actually woulld start to slide before you pushed.

Sorry to hear about this Bob. I wasn't even aware that you had a Vulcan. Is that the bike that your wife usually rides?

Hope you heal up soon, at least quickly enough to come to our Southern Indiana Ride. If not on the bike, then cage it!

Joe

No, we both have Vulcans, I was on mine, she was at home. I can't ride hers, she gets upset if I fuss with her mirrors.First time in ages I have ridden without her being right behind me.

I have been following the thread on the ride, if things change for us we'll be there but at this time we have a prior engagement for the first weekend of Oct., we'll be in North Carolina

• 4 months later...

I ride across a lot of these riding my dual sport and that moss is definitely slick. If you can tell there has been any other traffic through and ride in the track that they left it helps but nothing is for sure. I read a lot of ride reports fro Advrider and going down on these here in Missouri is a common occurrence.

I have to cross this on the bike just to ride. Sometimes it gets to high and in the winter it's frozen.Just your typical Redneck driveway.Did I mention the time I baptized Ramona on the 89.

Has she forgot about that yet?? Pics of that one could have got you a big check from

" America's Funniest Videos":rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: She could have been Famous!!