IGNORED

09 RSV Handlebar Riser Question

csogbk

Mods, if this in the wrong place forgive my newbie self and feel free to relocate! I am awaiting a call from my credit union to come pick up a check so I can get my 09 RSV!!!!! I believe I am going to need risers on the handlebars, I'm 6'5". Any other tall RSV riders out there that have used risers? It seems there are two vibration dampers between the fairing and bars that may prevent risers from being used as well not alot of slack on the throttle cables, etc. Any advice of help would be much appreciated!

Barons offers 1 1/2" Riser Extenders and do NOT require extra length of the cables.

I was ready to put them on my Venture and then had the Butler Seat Mod done.Now that I sit lower INTO the seat there was no need to put the Riser Extenders on. I sold them to one of our Canadian members here.

Boomer......whose knuckles drag the ground when he walks.

I also installed the risers. They put me in a more relax postion. Now I'm not leaning forward with my arms stiff. Like everyones said the cables have enough length, but just enough. One thing I did was to cut the zip ties that bundle the cables and then replaced them after I got the risers in position. Other than that just pull hard to get all the slack you can out from under the gas tank. As far as the rubber dampers I just don't use them and have noticed no vibration because of it. I've had the risers on two years. Yes the handlebars will now hit the plastic cover around the igntion switch when you turn the bars all the way either direction. The only time it really hits is when you lock the steering or are backing up. There is give to this plastic cover and again hurts nothing.

Dennis Hayes

Good luck with the loan...hope it comes through.

I had a difficult time getting comfortable on my 08 but I think I've finally reached the sweet spot. I'm 6'2 and didn't mind the reach with the stock setup but I found that I was getting pretty bad neck and shoulder pain. Tried the risers which fit just fine with stock cables but was still uncomfortable after a short time. Ordered the Flanders bar and cables which helped a good bit but still not enough to let me ride all day. Put the risers back on with the Flanders a couple of weeks ago and that made the difference. Well, that and a new seat which has me sitting just a tad higher than before. I did 500 miles out to Vogel and back and felt great all day.

For what it's worth, I came to the conclusion that on the previous set up I tended to bunch my shoulders up while riding. Kind of like doing a shrug but keeping that position and not "slouching" or relaxing more. With the Flanders and risers I didn't resort to that riding position and if I started to it was easy to just "slouch" and rest my hands on the grips since they were much closer in. You may not experience this at 6'5 but if you start to get burning in the neck and shoulders you might want to consider the Flanders.

I have been told that the 1 1/2" risers will fit without longer cables. I am 6'-0" and I ended up getting another set of handlebars that had 2" pull back. That was the best thing I done but I did have to get longer hoses and throttle cables

I'm pretty sure I am going to do the Flanders bars this Winter.

Are they pretty easy to change everything out?

How long did it take you to do it?

craigr

Thanks ebat, the reach dosent seem bad (keeping in mind I've only sat on the RSV in the showroom) its just I can't turn the bars fully without moving my knees. I am hoping to be able to rotate the bars enough to give me the room I need without the risers but suspect it wont be enough.

Thanks ebat, the reach dosent seem bad (keeping in mind I've only sat on the RSV in the showroom) its just I can't turn the bars fully without moving my knees. I am hoping to be able to rotate the bars enough to give me the room I need without the risers but suspect it wont be enough.

Yup, forgot about the knees. I rotated my up a bit for clearance (mini ape hangars) and it helped.

craigr

Craig, you directed this at raceman but with my bar I had a dealer install them. I didn't want to mess with it...took them all day

craigr

This is how I did it. Others may chime in with a different opinion but here goes. Flanders bars is what I used and I went with a set that was exactly like stock except it had 2" pull back. Flanders sells a kit just for the RSV. I took the entire front fairing off so I could re-route the cables and lines as well as get some slack in the wiring. I made a mental note as to how each cable was routed and I replaced them one at a time routing the new cables/lines exactly like they were. Also had to remove the seat and gas tank so I could get to the spool that the throttle cables hooks to. The spool is located under the gas tank and it is what the cruise control uses to keep throttle on the bike while using cruise control. (It may have another name but I call it a spool because it is a little round spool) You don't have to go all the way to the carbs with the longer throttle cables. I also had to remove one of the front fairings around the radiator so I could access the connection where the clutch line connects. I upgraded all of my hydraulic brake lines at the same time....went to stainless steel lines. On a scale of 1 - 10, I would rate myself a 7 or 8 as far as mechanical ability and it took me almost 4 hours start to finish. If you have never taken the fairing off it can be intimidating the first time. Take pictures for reference and there are a ton of wires but they are color coded and will only hook up one way. I would say if you aren't comfortable taking a lot of stuff apart, let someone do it for you. If you are comfortable with tools and are pretty handy, it won't be to bad.

Edited by raceman62race

I added the Baron risers and it made a world of difference for me. It took a bit of finagling with the cables but I got it to work. The risers do hit the ignition cover but its not an issue. I also did a mod to the rubber dampeners which place them back in the stock position.

• 2 weeks later...

First let me say I love this place. I installed a set of Baron Risers. They were

a peice of cake to install. I did have a problem with the cables causing the throttle

to hang when I turned the handlebars to the right. I disassembled the throttle housing 4 times to re-route the cables. Finally success!!! (I got good at disassembling the housing.)

Next was the fairing bumpers--- Thanks Ruffy for the idea for the

"mock handlebars". I did it pretty much the same way, but I had access to some aluminum 1" round stock, and a lathe and milling machine. I drilled out the round stock to except an allen bolt. I drilled and tapped the riser and attached the round stock and instlled the risers back on the bike. the round stock simulates the handlebars up againt the bumper. Pictures below.:thumbsup:

Mods, if this in the wrong place forgive my newbie self and feel free to relocate! I am awaiting a call from my credit union to come pick up a check so I can get my 09 RSV!!!!! I believe I am going to need risers on the handlebars, I'm 6'5". Any other tall RSV riders out there that have used risers? It seems there are two vibration dampers between the fairing and bars that may prevent risers from being used as well not alot of slack on the throttle cables, etc. Any advice of help would be much appreciated!

I have a set of Barron's risers on my bike so you can check them out when you come for a visit to SquidAcres....