IGNORED

New to me '06 venture. Oil? Filter?

Hi,

I'm sure this has been discussed many times, however I did not find any old posts to my satisfaction.

So, My question is. What oil would you recomend and what filter would you recomend?

My bike only has 3k miles on it so I figured I could switch to whatever I wanted to run and stick with it.

I read that some oils have helped with the chirpping noise, which I have a chirp but it's not a bad one.

Thanks, Brett

Hi,

I'm sure this has been discussed many times, however I did not find any old posts to my satisfaction.

So, My question is. What oil would you recomend and what filter would you recomend?

My bike only has 3k miles on it so I figured I could switch to whatever I wanted to run and stick with it.

I read that some oils have helped with the chirpping noise, which I have a chirp but it's not a bad one.

Thanks, Brett

Welcome! ... you're gonna get a lot of variances to this one coz it's somewhat of a "personal choice". Shell Rotella T diesel 15w40 is one ... Amsoil synthetic is another ... the list goes on but frankly, I've tried at least 4 different types with varying weights (10w40, 15w40, 20w50, etc) and none really make much difference to the "chirp" IMHO.

Thanks SilvrT! Do you run Yamaha factory filter? Or do you use another manufacturer?

Currently I'm using cheapo Fram (which many, including myself don't care for) because I'm too lazy to seek out a better one LOL but come next oil change I will be looking for something better...not sure exactly what yet.

I use a Purolator pure one 14610 (hope that is the right #)It is a little longer than the stock filter but it fits perfect and the reports all say it's one of the best filters out there. Currently using Shell Rotella T 15-40 oil will try Mobil 1 next change to see if the chirp goes away a little.

i have always used factory yamaha oil filters and casterol gtx 20/50

non synthetic and after 38+ years and well over a million miles of yamaha's of all sizes, and never an oil related failure....it works well for me.

as stated earlier...your opening a can of worms and opinions. mike

I use a Purolator pure one 14610 (hope that is the right #)It is a little longer than the stock filter but it fits perfect and the reports all say it's one of the best filters out there. Currently using Shell Rotella T 15-40 oil will try Mobil 1 next change to see if the chirp goes away a little.

I went from Rotella T to Mobil 1 (which is what's in mine now) and it made no difference to the chirp. Rotella T was 15w40 and Mobil1 is 10w40

Same here But I use mobile 1 motorcycle oil

Just in case you or someone could use this:

Oil filter cross refference info...

Brand ....................Part Number

Baldwin...................B1400

Fram .......................PH6017A

Napa Gold .............#1358

Perf-Form.............. PFJ503

Purolator ..............PL14612 (2.5 inches long)

Purolator.............. ML16819

WIX..................... 51358

Yamaha ................3FV-13440-00-00

AC Delco............. PF2135

Amsoil .................SMF103

Carquest ..............85358

Honda ..................15410-MJC-00

K&N .....................KN-303 or Chrome KN-303C

STP .......................SMO 17

Bosch................... 3300 (2.5 inches long)

Mobile..................M1-108 (2.5 inches long

Edited by Eck

Welcome! ... you're gonna get a lot of variances to this one coz it's somewhat of a "personal choice". Shell Rotella T diesel 15w40 is one ... Amsoil synthetic is another ... the list goes on but frankly, I've tried at least 4 different types with varying weights (10w40, 15w40, 20w50, etc) and none really make much difference to the "chirp" IMHO.

Is the Shell Rotella T actually a diesel engine oil that works in the RSV. I am new to motorcyle oils and this doesn't sound right. I went to all of the Wally Worlds here and none carry any MC oil but I did see the diesel oil.

Is the Shell Rotella T actually a diesel engine oil that works in the RSV. I am new to motorcyle oils and this doesn't sound right. I went to all of the Wally Worlds here and none carry any MC oil but I did see the diesel oil.

Apparently it does (work in a motorcycle) according to many on this site. What is unique about it is that it has no "friction modifiers" which, if included as an additive, will harm the wet clutch. All "motorcycle specific" oils do not contain friction modifiers... as I understand it at least.

I note that your bike is a '99 ... just something to think about... I had an '87 for 3 years ... for all I know, it never had synthetic in it but I tried that and I immediately noticed clutch slippage in 5th gear when I cranked it hard. That may have been coincidental but I believe I've heard others say to not switch to synthetic in an older engine when it hasn't been using it.

Edited by SilvrT

Used to be that diesel oil was THE way to go for cost effectiveness and still have good protection. With emissions tightening up for diesels even new diesel oil is losing some of the parts (or having them reduced) that made them so good for a motorcycle engine. :( Still I use diesel specific oil in 15W/40 and will until my engine seizes up.

Car oil is bad. Anything that is labeled Energy Conserving is baaaaad.

The reason a lot of MC riders use diesel oil is that most automotive oils have additives that may not be combatible with a wet clutch. There is a lot of evidence that diesel oil provides similar protection at a better cost than the specialty motorcycle oils.

Thanks SilvrT! Do you run Yamaha factory filter? Or do you use another manufacturer?

Another vote for Amsoil 10-40 all year round. Amsoil oil filter is one of the best choice for filtration as well has built in anti draw back valve.

Good Luck

I use a Purolator pure one 14610 (hope that is the right #)I

That is the correct number. The Purolator (14612) listed in Ecks list is the shorter, 2.5", one. The 14610 is longer, looks like it won't fit, at first, but it DOES go in!

Hi,

Hi.

I'm sure this has been discussed many times

Yes it has.

Oil: Rotella T SAE5W-40 full synetic in the blue jug (The shape may be a little different, but the blue jug has synthetic while the white jug has dyno oil)

http://www-static.shell.com/static/rotella-en/images/products/rosn-1gal-5w40-z7.jpg

Click on the jug to go to Shell's website.

Oil filter Purolator PureONE part number PL14612 (but shoot it with some black high temp paint from a rattle can) or PL14610 for a taller filter that does fit, but on my bike takes a lot more fiddling to get it in place.

http://partsmart.boschwebservices.com/RB/NA/AUTO/AFTERMARKET/PARTSMART/PartSmartImages/PL14612.jpg

Click on the filter to go to PuronONE website to learn more about how well this filter cleans your oil.

In a wet clutch engine that the clutch and engine share oil, you NEED to try to get as much of the worn off friction material from the clutch out of the oil BEFORE it gets to your engines bearing surfaces. A high quality filter like the Purolator PureONE or Amsoil EAO filters will do this job. I find the PureONE at Advance Auto Parts and sometimes there is a coupon, but to get the Amsoil EaO filters I have to order them from Amsoil or find a dealer........ Both are GREAT filters, but for me the PureONE is easier to find and usually costs less.

Just a quick thought, go to schaefferoil.com, scroll for a retailer in your area and ask for #705 20/50, you'll find a great oil for your bike, higher in phos/zink and calcium than most 15/40 diesel oils. My trans "whine" is tolerable now. I bought a new rsv this spring and went right to the 20/50 at first oil change. Do some research on the site, i think you'll be impressed. I know i have been for the last 5 years!

Renne