IGNORED

Question About Transmission 2009 RSV

Larry C.

I purchased a New 2009 RSV and just got back from my first road trip (300 miles one way.) I now have 2000 miles on this bike in a month. When I was 40 miles from home I noticed a grinding/scrapping noise coming from my rear end, knowing about the infamous dry pins I didn't think anything of having to remove the rear wheel and lube the pins. When I got home I put it up on a jack, removed the rear wheel and checked the rear end lash, than I started it up with no rear wheel and shifted it through the gears to check out my tranny for problems just in case. I couldn't believe the noise coming from the trans in 5th gear, it sounded like it was flying apart. I didn't have any trouble shifting or keeping it in gear and the original noise was coming from my rear wheel. I lubed the pins and 4 were dry, lubed the teeth on the drive and reassembled it, torqued everything per spec's, than I took it for a test run and all's quite for now no noise's of any kind. Should I be concerned about my trans sound I heard with the wheel off in 5th?

in 5th gear without the rear wheel.

when in o/d 5th gear the trans is 1to1 and without the resistance of any drag or pull of the rear wheel, what you were hearing was gear lash. the same thing you would hear if you tried to take off from the stop light in 5th gear.

lube it and drive it. mike

in 5th gear without the rear wheel.

when in o/d 5th gear the trans is 1to1 and without the resistance of any drag or pull of the rear wheel, what you were hearing was gear lash. the same thing you would hear if you tried to take off from the stop light in 5th gear.

lube it and drive it. mike

what Mike said

I rode 100 miles today and no noises, shifted fine, quite, just like a new one but ah yes it is a new one. Gee if only the factory or dealer would use a little more lube :doh: when the rear wheel is installed. I still think the RSV is one great ride and am glad for both my bike and this forum:banana:. Thanks everyone for your input keep up the great work.

I purchased a New 2009 RSV and just got back from my first road trip (300 miles one way.) I now have 2000 miles on this bike in a month. When I was 40 miles from home I noticed a grinding/scrapping noise coming from my rear end, knowing about the infamous dry pins I didn't think anything of having to remove the rear wheel and lube the pins. When I got home I put it up on a jack, removed the rear wheel and checked the rear end lash, than I started it up with no rear wheel and shifted it through the gears to check out my tranny for problems just in case. I couldn't believe the noise coming from the trans in 5th gear, it sounded like it was flying apart. I didn't have any trouble shifting or keeping it in gear and the original noise was coming from my rear wheel. I lubed the pins and 4 were dry, lubed the teeth on the drive and reassembled it, torqued everything per spec's, than I took it for a test run and all's quite for now no noise's of any kind. Should I be concerned about my trans sound I heard with the wheel off in 5th?

I am trying to figure out why you did all the work. You have a brand new machine with factory warranty in effect. My first thought would have been to take it to the dealer and make them fix it.

:farmer:

Dealer is 100 miles away and I wanted to make sure it was done right so I wont have any problems. I'm headed to Branson Mo. next Wed. (300 miles from here) and I have the tools and the knowledge and would rather fix any problem myself if I can. If it were a major warranty repair I'd get to the dealer, but the minor problems I fix, the whole job was done in less than an hour. :superman:

Dealer is 100 miles away and I wanted to make sure it was done right so I wont have any problems. I'm headed to Branson Mo. next Wed. (300 miles from here) and I have the tools and the knowledge and would rather fix any problem myself if I can. If it were a major warranty repair I'd get to the dealer, but the minor problems I fix, the whole job was done in less than an hour. :superman:

You are like me and a lot of us here..We will take care of the small stuff.The RSV IS a nice bike but the downside is Most dealers know nothing about them..At least you are on a site that gives some good Tech advise AND If you need help,buy a case of beer and BBQ..The best of the best will show up to teach you how to do anything on it!

Don't forget to lube the splines (three places) and the clutch hub pins with Honda Moly60 lube.

Replace the gear oil in the final drive while you are there.

replace the aluminum crush washers with new ones EVERY TIME or put in some nylon ones like I did.