IGNORED

Mazdas?

craigatcsi

I know this isn't M/C related, but....

A Co-worker is looking at a little Mazda 3 (car) and neither of us know ANYTHING about Mazdas - she just likes the looks.

Have any of you had any experiences good or bad, with the newer ones?

I know they used to have the Rotary engines, but this one has a 4 cylinder.

She is looking at the Mazda or the Toyota Corolla.

Any info would be appreciated.

craigr

I have several friends who have new Mazda 6's, and they love them. I have heard nothing but good for the smaller version, the 3.

Have you checked sites like Edmunds.com to see what if anything they say about tests etc?

You can also search sites like Car & Driver, road and track, Motor Trend, Automobile etc and see what tests/comparisons they have that include the 3.

For small cars though, the Honda Fit is one of the best. A good friend of ours just got one, and she loves it. It gets top reviews for small cars every time.

also, don't overlook the Ford Focus. This car has been updated, and looks much nicer now, they are making great deals on them, and they have great reviews and seem to be very dependable.

We were looking at Toyata camry or honda accord. Through research and driving and price, we ended up getting a Mazda 6. WE LOVE IT. I don't think you could really go wrong with any of the three, but we liked the ride and features for the price much better.

I had a Mazda3 for a few years before I bought my escape, and I would still have if i didnt need a bit larger car to haul my toy hauler around.

It was very reliable, cheap on fuel and roomy for its size. (I am 6 feet and 300lbs) It didnt get around very will on snow and ice until I swapped out the oem tires for kumhos, then it was ok.

It was a bit noisy on the hiway as it sits low you get roadnoise. But overall, I would have to say it was the best car for the money Ive ever had.

Brian

Guest Oldsalt

Great car. My ex is on her 2nd one and really enjoys it. She had a Protege5 and now has a Miyata (sp). My son is the top salesman at Nelson Mazda in Broken Arrow, OK and he says they are selling like hot cakes with lots of repeat customers. I thought they were great on fuel ecconomy and had a lot more zip than I expected. My only concern was that I weigh 270 and have very high 'sitting height' so on long trips, I still prefered my F-150 truck.

oldsalt

I had a 1990 Mazda 929S and bar none it was a great car. Always ran like a top never had any problems with it in the 10 years I owned it.

I now have an 2000 Acura and I find it to be a great car too.

No problems with it either.

Steve

I have a 2004 Mazda 3 5 door hatch back. It is pretty zippy. I get about 21 mpg with it. I have had the lower belt pully freeze and a motor mount break ( fixed under warranty) at 50k. I have about 62k on it and it runs great. The only other thing is the low profile tires need changing at 20k. I have put Pirellis on it and they handle really good and are quite. The car is tight, no squeaks etc...

My wife drives a new Mazda 6 with the V6 and 6 speed automatic. It is faster than her garage queen T-bird with its V8. It also handles better, probably because it isn't a convertable. We have owned 7 mazdas over the years and every one was a good car and a great value. The new Mazda 6 is built in PA with 70% American content.

I also like that Mazda 3. Very sporty and roomy for a small car. I think if the Mazda 3 had a Lexus name plate it could sell for $6,000 more. They are a very good value.

Edited by Stoutman
Corrected number owned

If you are looking for a small car with good gas mileage, the Toyota Yaris is your car. I bought one for my daughter and despite the size this carit, has plenty of room for 5 people. The engine is a 1500 cc and has a chain driven overhead cam engine so no need for replacing the timing belt. I teach automotive and I was facinated by the simplicity of this car. It racks up about 41 mpg and the standards get 42-44 mpg. That kind of mileage ranks right up there with the hybrids which if you factor in the price of the battery is no more practical than a car that gets 30 mpg.

Guest seuadr
It's over my head....

What ever happened to Mazdas having the Rotary Engines?

craigr

only the RX line have a rotax motor. and wooz wooz is zoom zoom upsidedown.

before you make your choice, find out where you can get your service and warranty work performed...?

many times folks will buy a car with no plans of ever needing service, then pitch a fit when they have to drive many miles to get repairs performed.

mike

i have owned many mazdas the 3-5door hatch included, i now have a 2009 mazda 6 and let me tell ya, they are the best bang for the buck cars on the road. i can't believe they don't sell more. you will not be disapointed. this coming from and rsv owner who knows quality...

Great little cars but check your insurance rates. A lot of these vehicles are expensive to insure as a result of their high repair costs. On an insurance scale of 1 to 5 (1 being the highest) some Mazda’s rate 1. Improvements have been made on some newer models but even with a clean driving record some rates can be very high. If cost is a consideration it’s worth checking out.:mo money:

Great little cars but check your insurance rates. A lot of these vehicles are expensive to insure as a result of their high repair costs. On an insurance scale of 1 to 5 (1 being the highest) some Mazda’s rate 1. Improvements have been made on some newer models but even with a clean driving record some rates can be very high. If cost is a consideration it’s worth checking out.:mo money:

I own a 2004 Mazda 3 hatchback and my daughter owns a 2006 Mazda 6. Both cars are exceptional in quality and handling and my insurance premium on the MZ3 is less than $60.00 per month, for full coverage well in excess of the state's mandatory coverage limits. A good site for information on these vehicles is www.mazdaforums.org.

It's over my head....

What ever happened to Mazdas having the Rotary Engines?

craigr

Don't know what Mazda advertising is like in the USA, but 'down-under' they have a catch-phrase of "ZOOM ZOOM." Get it? No?

Well, if you turn ZOOM ZOOM upside down, you get WOOZ WOOZ.

WOOZ? Wuz! Ah, forget it!:doh:

It's over my head....

I originally caught the part that it was 'zoom zoom' upside down, but....

I had read in my mind 'on THE roof' (like on the roof of the house) - not on 'IT's' roof' - which is why I didn't understand the humor.

I JUST NOW re-read the joke :(

Oops.

craigr

I had a '90 626 GT turbo, that was a FUN car. Didn't care for the automatic trans as I had it rebuilt once, but the car was a rocket when the turbo kicked in. It was comfortable for me and I'm not on the petite side. I would more than likely own another one if the opportunity came along.