IGNORED

Great Idea for an Interior Trunk Light!

dragerman

The other night I was rummaging through the trunk on my Venture looking for one of my gloves. All the while I was thinking how nice it would be to have a trunk light... well today I installed one.

I went into Costco (Price Club) and picked up a package of Wireless LED Puck Lights, 4 in a pack for $14. Batteries included. They have a peal and stick Velcro back and installed in a minute. The light also has a sensor that if I want I can set it to come on automatically when I open the trunk lid... or I can just turn it on manually by touching the top of the light itself. I’m not sure how well the peal and stick will stay attached to the trunk lid on a warm day but time will tell. If it falls down I’ll put on some 3M two sided tape, that will keep it in place. I do have a small flashlight that I carry but this is so much nicer. Works great!

I have several of those LED touch lights. I've never had the adhesive stick long enough to be worth the effort.

Try the double sided 3M exterior tape, it’s the same tape used to affix decals like the Star decal on the Venture tank. I’ve used it to (among other things) hold the centerpiece on my boats steering wheel... that was 6 years ago and it’s still there.

Dagerman,

Keep the great ideas coming.....even if your idea may be a repeat idea that occurred here before.

You may come up with an idea that no one here has ever thought of.

Im always thinking of stuff, and seem to wast many thoughts on things that have already been done, but thats what makes fine tuning an idea and thinking out of the box such a great tools!

One thing you will have to pay attention to with your choice of push on light, is that if you over load your trunk, and then close the lid, the light may come in contact with the stuff inside the trunk and the light may come on and you wont know it because the stuff you packed in it is pressing on the "push on lid" of the light..

Just a thought....dont ask me how I know this....:whistling:

Dagerman,

Keep the great ideas coming.....even if your idea may be a repeat idea that occurred here before.

You may come up with an idea that no one here has ever thought of.

Im always thinking of stuff, and seem to wast many thoughts on things that have already been done, but thats what makes fine tuning an idea and thinking out of the box such a great tools!

One thing you will have to pay attention to with your choice of push on light, is that if you over load your trunk, and then close the lid, the light may come in contact with the stuff inside the trunk and the light may come on and you wont know it because the stuff you packed in it is pressing on the "push on lid" of the light..

Just a thought....dont ask me how I know this....:whistling:

I positioned the light as far to the rear (near the locks) as I could, almost on the round. The Velcro seems to compensate for the slight curvature in the lid. The light is relatively clear of the storage but one will still need to take some care in packing a full load. Good point.

Yes, from good ideas come better ideas... that’s one of the reasons for putting it out there. I don’t usually hide from a brain storm, even if it means getting a little wet!

I positioned the light as far to the rear (near the locks) as I could, almost on the round. The Velcro seems to compensate for the slight curvature in the lid. The light is relatively clear of the storage but one will still need to take some care in packing a full load. Good point.

Yes, from good ideas come better ideas... that’s one of the reasons for putting it out there. I don’t usually hide from a brain storm, even if it means getting a little wet!

Can you still load two helmets in the trunk with the lights? I got a pack of those for Sleeperhawk last Christmas, but we are afraid that the helmets will not fit in there.

Can you still load two helmets in the trunk with the lights? I got a pack of those for Sleeperhawk last Christmas' date=' but we are afraid that the helmets will not fit in there.[/quote']

The light I installed is close to the size of a hockey puck but round on the edge. My helmets fit well but I’ll make one more suggestion not related to the lights. The bolt heads that hold my trunk rack have marked the top of my spare helmet. The lid has enough clearance so I guess it’s caused if the helmet should bounce while driving. To prevent this I put a spot of clear silicone on each bolt head before turning in for the night and that seems to have helped.

Now if I can only stop dropping my helmet!

The light I installed is close to the size of a hockey puck but round on the edge. My helmets fit well but I’ll make one more suggestion not related to the lights. The bolt heads that hold my trunk rack have marked the top of my spare helmet. The lid has enough clearance so I guess it’s caused if the helmet should bounce while driving. To prevent this I put a spot of clear silicone on each bolt head before turning in for the night and that seems to have helped.

Now if I can only stop dropping my helmet!

Thanks for the advice and I hope that you are not in your helmet when you drop it!!!!:cool10::cool10:

Guest ReinyRooster

"I hope that you are not in your helmet when you drop it!!!!" Now THAT'S funny!!! Thanks...I needed that chuckle today...been one of those days.:rotf::rotf:

Guest timshosvt
I used industrial strength Vecro to put my Tap Light on. I can take it off easily and use it as a flashlight.

Those Costco lights are nice! I was looking at them yesterday. The Tap lights are a bit smaller though.:)

Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua :)

After reading these posts and suggestions i thought i'd toss in another one. What about one of those mercury actuated hood lights that are found in autos? It would need to be hard wired, but should be fairly bullet proof, and put out a ton of light. Pro'bly find them in a wrecking yard?... Just a thought??

What about one of those mercury actuated hood lights that are found in autos?

I don't think the EPA has allowed Mercury in switches sense the 1970's.

I think a magnetic switch would work without the hazardous materials.

They also stopped putting them in pinball machine tilt circuitry about the same time.

I have not seen mercury switches in parts catalogs that I have around.

I don't think the EPA has allowed Mercury in switches sense the 1970's.

I think a magnetic switch would work without the hazardous materials.

They also stopped putting them in pinball machine tilt circuitry about the same time.

I have not seen mercury switches in parts catalogs that I have around.

OK, makes sense to me.... but whatever they use to get those lights to actuate to work. Never really thought about it before.... Besides my A/C house thermostat is still using mercury, so i just assumed?????????

Hey Monsta -- that little bug on your post nearly made me put my finger through the flat screen.

:rasberry: :rasberry:

:rotf: :rotf:

I love that little bug in my sig.... :hihi:

Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua

Tuis pugis pignore!

``````````````````

BTW, Just to "fix" my earlier post, I use Dot-it's not Tap lights.

• 1 year later...