IGNORED

Helmet Cooling

Bob Myers

Any one ever think of trying to put a peltier junction in a helmet for cooling? Or maybe put one (or more) in a vest? I know they are rigid and won't comform to any radius but I found some that are only 40mm sq. Sounds like a good size to put top center of a helmet. Ones on market now are pretty low current draw compared to ones I played with several years ago.

Any one ever think of trying to put a peltier junction in a helmet for cooling? Or maybe put one (or more) in a vest? I know they are rigid and won't comform to any radius but I found some that are only 40mm sq. Sounds like a good size to put top center of a helmet. Ones on market now are pretty low current draw compared to ones I played with several years ago.

I would think that you would have a hard time mounting one, since you have to have a large heat sink to absorb the heat you are pulling out. Also, you would need to distribute the cooling across the entire helmet, and I would think it would probable cause some pretty bad headaches if it was too cool and too concentrated.

Without a large external heatsink the effectiveness would be reduced drastically, which would relate to a smaller temp differential. One I played with years ago was with the intent of using the heat side, and from that I remember that no heat sink whatsoever resulted in about a 20ºf drop only, not the 70ºc that you get under optimum conditions.10 or 15ºf drop would be a considerable difference, inside the helmet or a vest.

I do agree the task of spreading it around would be tough. Haven't actually got one now to play with but ebay is loaded with them.

I remember a few years ago seeing a close out on an AC Helmet. They had a small scoop on the toip that directed the air flow thru a fan to produce enough power to work a thermocoupler. Interesting but since they were on close out they didn't sell all that well, and probably didn't work that well either.... :)

Guest tx2sturgis

So...isnt the purpose of a helmet to save your noggin in the event of a crash? And dont they do that by using the crushable outershell and inner styrofoam? And wouldnt a metallic heatsink, maybe with sharp aluminum edges compromise that ability? As in: metal wedge driven into your skull in the event of a low speed 'get-off'?

Makes me cringe at the thought.

I'll pass.

Yea, the one marketed by the folks in UK appears to have "things" that could bite if provoked by falling down on them.

The 40mm ceramics I had scoped out could easily fit inside the helmet, as with what freebird said, very diminished capacity with no heat sink. They were only 4mm thick, depending on hot hot they get as to whether the styrofoam would stand it or not. Would not like to melt that stuff.

$250 for a watercooled helmet addon. I would guess that to be some what similar to the cool suit things the NASCAR guys have? Pumping cool water through the do rag would work but I would have to buy yet another helmet, the one I have broken in and fitted to my xxx melon already fits tight enough with out "shimming" it.

I would love a cooler helmet! When I am wearing a helmet and the temperatures rise, I experience scalp itch to the point where I just want to fling my helmet off the side of the road. It's not my shampoo (or lack thereof), which causes this reaction, but is just an acute sensitivity to wearing things (even ball caps) on my head when it's hot. I have tried (and I own), several types of different styles of helmets. And, all of them after so long push my endurance to the breaking point. I have also tried different kinds of doo-rags which do help a little, but they don't solve the problem.

I have only met a couple other riders who experience what I often refer to as Helmet Fleas to the same degree which I do. It's not a matter of cleanliness, just sensitivity which reacts in unbearable itching. Perhaps, it's an allergic reaction to the foam core inside helmets. I don't know.

Because of this situation, I often compromise my safety and don't ride with a helmet. And, that's the only reason I don't wear one when I know that I ought too. I know that it's stupid, but you gotta do what you gotta do. I think that if there was a way to significantly improve the air-circulation inside a helmet, that it might help my situation out.

Anyone else out there experience this problem?

Pete.

Guest tx2sturgis
I would love a cooler helmet! When I am wearing a helmet and the temperatures rise, I experience scalp itch to the point where I just want to fling my helmet off the side of the road. It's not my shampoo (or lack thereof), which causes this reaction, but is just an acute sensitivity to wearing things (even ball caps) on my head when it's hot. I have tried (and I own), several types of different styles of helmets. And, all of them after so long push my endurance to the breaking point. I have also tried different kinds of doo-rags which do help a little, but they don't solve the problem.

I have only met a couple other riders who experience what I often refer to as Helmet Fleas to the same degree which I do. It's not a matter of cleanliness, just sensitivity which reacts in unbearable itching. Perhaps, it's an allergic reaction to the foam core inside helmets. I don't know.

Because of this situation, I often compromise my safety and don't ride with a helmet. And, that's the only reason I don't wear one when I know that I ought too. I know that it's stupid, but you gotta do what you gotta do. I think that if there was a way to significantly improve the air-circulation inside a helmet, that it might help my situation out.

Anyone else out there experience this problem?

Pete.

Buy a cheap black helmet and drill a million 1/2 inch holes in it!!! Ever notice a cycle helmet?

http://media.rei.com/media/ll/d4f548e3-071f-481c-ba21-e81190108165.jpg

Lots of holes and light as a feather. I read somewhere that these are better than nothing,( for motorcycle use) and provide a fair measure of protection AND comfort.

You might try a helmet liner...or, a shorty helmet...I dunno...I have trouble wearing a helmet too...so...i got nothin!

:whistling:

Edited by tx2sturgis

I have a couple of the peltier junctions or TEC as thy are commecially known on the way. We'll see what and where they will fit/work. If nothing else I could have Tina put them in a vest. Cool(no pun intended) thing about them is if you reverse the polarity they become a heater.

Exactly!

So...isnt the purpose of a helmet to save your noggin in the event of a crash? And dont they do that by using the crushable outershell and inner styrofoam? And wouldnt a metallic heatsink, maybe with sharp aluminum edges compromise that ability? As in: metal wedge driven into your skull in the event of a low speed 'get-off'?

Makes me cringe at the thought.

I'll pass.

Y'know, this has me thinking. A small radiator with a small pump mounted up front in the air flow, spaghetti sized siamesed tubing for feed and return and a thin fabric covered vinyl helmet liner made with coolant passages all through it to circulate the coolant. Have a connector on the helmet with one way valves and it would look just like an intercom set-up.

Or instead of a helmet liner wear it like a do-rag and just put the helmet over it. Hmmm, with a bigger pump and radiator you could make a jump suit or jacket liner with hoody.

I'm on a roll! I need a backer! LoL

Guest tx2sturgis
Y'know, this has me thinking. A small radiator with a small pump mounted up front in the air flow, spaghetti sized siamesed tubing for feed and return and a thin fabric covered vinyl helmet liner made with coolant passages all through it to circulate the coolant. Have a connector on the helmet with one way valves and it would look just like an intercom set-up.

Or instead of a helmet liner wear it like a do-rag and just put the helmet over it. Hmmm, with a bigger pump and radiator you could make a jump suit or jacket liner with hoody.

I'm on a roll! I need a backer! LoL

Be sure to have the liquid coolant colored blood red...great joke to play on the EMTs!

I can see it now, fall down, hose comes loose...you get all this red fluid squirting out 30 feet......aw cmon...its funny!

:big-grin-emoticon:

Edited by tx2sturgis