IGNORED

Bug splatter.....need advice

Iowawegian

Didn't wash the bike the whole time we were gone...

Needless to say it had layers of bug splatter on it. We've washed and washed the thing, but I there is still some area's on the paint that just don't want to come clean.

What would be the easiest product to use to get rid of it?

Thanks

Deb:think:

This is what I use, spray it on wait about 3 mins and wipe off, bugs and all. even tho it's says Honda it works on Yamaha (LOL) http://www.honda.ca/NR/rdonlyres/e3nuiemsqgtb5bsf3j66wg7tvhaoldc3yhq4uyb6wx3bxl7v6nnk7rrdztfignubh5a4rs7t7isjme/001small1.jpg

Genuine Honda Spray Cleaner & Polish, http://www.honda.ca/NR/rdonlyres/e3nuiemsqgtb5bsf3j66wg7tvhaoldc3yhq4uyb6wx3bxl7v6nnk7rrdztfignubh5a4rs7t7isjme/001small1.jpg

:322:

try mineral spirits...it ought to soften those bugs up and it won't harm the paint...just rewax when you're done. i drag raced for many years and washed the melted rubbber off the rear quarter panels for years using mineral spirits, never dulled or harmed the paint..

buz

Didn't wash the bike the whole time we were gone...

Needless to say it had layers of bug splatter on it. We've washed and washed the thing, but I there is still some area's on the paint that just don't want to come clean.

What would be the easiest product to use to get rid of it?

Thanks

Deb:think:

what used to be Honda Spray is now missing some of the Stuff that made it work so well (thanks to to the great state of california) and is all environmentally "safe" but you can still get the safe product made by another manufacturer. it's in a simular can (without the name Honda) and works as good as the old stuff!!!

BTW works great on chrome and windshlieds

Edited by Arcs&Sparks
more content

Just don't use the Windex on the windshield (unless it's ammonia free Windex)

Crap, I don't even want to ask....what does it do to the windshield?

I use a commercial window cleaner made by Rubbermaid that we get at Menards,......but I don't have a clue if it has ammonia in it.

Crap, I don't even want to ask....what does it do to the windshield?

I use a commercial window cleaner made by Rubbermaid that we get at Menards,......but I don't have a clue if it has ammonia in it.

Ammonia will etch plastic ... here is a "blurb" from the Windex site ... at one time their site actually stated "should not use on plastic surfaces"

What ingredients are in Windex® Glass and Multi-Surface Cleaners? All but two Windex® Glass and Multi-Surface Cleaners contain detergents, solvents, fragrance, Ammonia-D®, and alcohol. They should not be used if ammonia is not recommended for use on surface. (Windex® Multi-Surface Vinegar and Windex® Outdoor Multi-Surface do not contain ammonia. They are safe to use in these cases.)

However, in this day and age, it's possible that not all "plastics" can be harmed by a product containing ammonia. (I had to put this disclaimer in for self-protection LOL)

Possibly a ClearView shield, for example, is OK ???

I must be tired .....I always like a good laugh, but I'm afraid I don't get it. :think: Please unconfuse my befuddled brain!

They sell bikes on Craigs list don't they? Just go buy a new one, they come all nice and shinny and clean, and then let us know when you post the old dirty one forsale.

I guess the old sayings true, you learn something new everyday". Thanks for the heads up and you can bet I'm checking on it as soon as I get home!

Thanks again!

This is a great place for knowledge!

You're welcome :D

Coming in the back door on this thread after the fact, but the next time you plan on being on a ride-about for a couple of weeks try spraying the fairing with PAM spray. When you get back home the bugs and gutz will wash right off with water. I also spray the fork tubes. One way to screw up fork seals is to have stuck bugs on the tube scratch the seals. With PAM they won't stick and slide up the tube out of the way. Don't spray PAM on the windshield. Things get very hazy. Doesn't damage the plastic, but will fog things up. Don't ask me how I know this, and the fact that a PAM can looks an awful lot like a can of Lemon Fresh Pledge.... :whistling:

Pledge Furniture Polish:thumbsup2:

+1 for Pledge... been using it on my bikes for the past 20 years with great results. With the silicones it contains, the cleaning process leaves a slick surface (so fewer things stick next time) and a deep shine. I use it on everything except for the seat. Just spray it on a microfiber towel and wipe down. For tough spots, like your dried on bugs, spray directly on, let it sit for 2-3 minutes, then wipe off.

Just don't get one of the new "furniture moistirizing" varieties, as they contain oil that will make a smeared mess of things. I prefer the "dust & allergy" variety.

+1 for Pledge... been using it on my bikes for the past 20 years with great results. With the silicones it contains, the cleaning process leaves a slick surface (so fewer things stick next time) and a deep shine. I use it on everything except for the seat. Just spray it on a microfiber towel and wipe down. For tough spots, like your dried on bugs, spray directly on, let it sit for 2-3 minutes, then wipe off.

Just don't get one of the new "furniture moistirizing" varieties, as they contain oil that will make a smeared mess of things. I prefer the "dust & allergy" variety.

hmmmmmm.... can't say as I heard that b'fore ... as previously said... "ya learn sumpin new every day" .... I'm gonna give that a try!

:thumbsup2:

Guest Boomerbiker

I soften them up with hot water and a large towel and then use the Honda cleaner wax others have talked about. For the windshield I use a plastic cleaner and/or Pledge multi-surface cleaner.

I pressure wash my scoot but I do a pre-soak , then hand wash , then pressure rinse . But I usually do not have to worry about bugs as I have a Bra for my upper and lowers . For just getting bugs off the Bra's , simply just use a damp rag as I do not have to worry about scratches . Also use Lemon Pledge for the scoot and shield .

BEER30

Guest seuadr

simple green. it's powerful, completly safe for all the surfaces i've ever tried it on, and not hazardous to you or the enviroment.

Sprayway Glass Cleaner, no ammonia, under $2 can usually.

Then hit it with Plexus.

http://www.completeframers.com/Sprayway_Can.jpghttp://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/productimages/OG/0000_Plexus_Plastic_Cleaner-Protectant_and_Polish.jpg