IGNORED

Stripped Oil Drain Plug

MrRadi8

Never, NEVER, work on your scoot when you are mad at the freaking world.

I have a ride this weekend and was going to change the oil. Spent over a decade in the USN as a dang knuckle dragger so you'd think I would always know righty-tighty lefty-loosey.

Over torqued the drain plug and she's stripped. Now what? Options??

Take your plug to an auto parts store and buy an oversized plug. It will thread right in making new threads and all will be right in the world again.

Good Luck,

Don and I must have posted at the same time, his idea works also.

Jerry

Take your plug to an auto parts store and buy an oversized plug. It will thread right in making new threads and all will be right in the world again.

Good Luck,

Jerry

Have you done this?

Just a stinking boneheaded move I can't believe I did.

I had to use one of those once. Not on this bike, but on a car I had years ago. There were two or three oversizes of bolts available. They cut their own threads while you turn them in. They do work. And at this point it wouldn't really matter if you used one with metric threads or standard.

Boo is right on. Did this to a 1967 Chevy. one time the over size plug I got at auto parts work great had the car for another 10 year no more trouble.

PS I sure miss that Malibu

:7_6_3[1]::7_6_3[1]::7_6_3[1]::7_6_3[1]:

Tried one that was to be a 1/2 size over. It never tightened up or stopped dripping. Yippie.

Rubber one I got was too big and the store closed as I left. Life sucks.

I think your only options are going to be a heli coil type insert. Shouldn't be TOO bad. Sorry it happened to you though.

Sorry to disagree with you on this one freebird but helli coils are not the best choice for this as they may leak along the threads. However there are thread repairs that are similiar to a helli coil but are solid, install them with a good qaulity pipe sealant on the threads. failing that go with the oversize drain plug or tap the hole out to accept a bigger drain plug.One down fall of the oversize drain plug that taps its own thread is that If your not carefull you can cut the thread poorly install using a socket, ratchet and long extension at least 6 inches. this way you can use two hands and keep things steady, just using a wrench will cause too much wobble and loose fitting threads.

Ive drilled out oil pans before and retapped for a larger drain plug. Ive done it on the new volvo D16 motors twice now.

On Caterpiller motors, Ive used ReCoil kits. Drill the threads out of the hose, retap and install a new thread coil, exact same thing as a helicoil.

On Cummins motors, Ive drilled the threads out, retapped, installed an oversized bushing adapter, and went to a smaller drain plug.

But, for this situation, with the aluminum pan, I think an oversized, self-tapping plug would be good.

Since the new 1/2 size over plug did not work, I'd go up 1 whole size from the NEW plug.

You are right to disagree with me. I knew there was another type other than heli coils and I agree with you. I intended to do a search after posting that because I don't remember what they were called. Thanks for correcting me.

Here the Link you remembered. http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=8432&highlight=Helicoil

I'd sincerly not recommend to use a bigger Plug and have cutted the new Thread by itself. Might work for now, but once you've opened the Plug for the next Oil change, it won't stop leaking. Fix it once with the right Method and be done with it forever.

Ive drilled out oil pans before and retapped for a larger drain plug. Ive done it on the new volvo D16 motors twice now.

On Caterpiller motors, Ive used ReCoil kits. Drill the threads out of the hose, retap and install a new thread coil, exact same thing as a helicoil.

On Cummins motors, Ive drilled the threads out, retapped, installed an oversized bushing adapter, and went to a smaller drain plug.

But, for this situation, with the aluminum pan, I think an oversized, self-tapping plug would be good.

Since the new 1/2 size over plug did not work, I'd go up 1 whole size from the NEW plug.

Right now I'm in the emergent repair mode. The oversize sounds like the way to go with a full tap repair after that. I've been a wrench for way too long to have done something this stupid. Brittney at the VMA's is looking better than I am right now. Oy.

Right now I'm in the emergent repair mode. The oversize sounds like the way to go with a full tap repair after that. I've been a wrench for way too long to have done something this stupid. Brittney at the VMA's is looking better than I am right now. Oy.

I know this is a little late, but here's a company that sells a kit to repair stripped out threads. They ain't cheap but the do work.

http://www.timesert.com/ Hey!! it's an alternative.... :confused24:

And..... here's a pan on Ebay for a lot less. May be another way to go???

I know this is a little late, but here's a company that sells a kit to repair stripped out threads. They ain't cheap but the do work.

http://www.timesert.com/ Hey!! it's an alternative.... :confused24:

And..... here's a pan on Ebay for a lot less. May be another way to go???

I get the temp repair to get through the weekend and I'm perfectly willing to drop the pan and do a good repair later. Hell, while I'm at it maybe I'll do the clutch basket and get rid of my whine.

volvo has a drain plug warranty campaign out on the D16 drain plugs should look into it

I heard that they've got a recall, but when they're in my shop, I have to get them out. The oil pan in plenty deep and there's lots of aluminum. I can't believe that the plug is only 4 threads deep. I drill it out with a 59/64 drill bit and retap it to a Cummins plug.

So I'm off attempting repairs only to discover I am king of the idiot moves.

I'm waiting for a salvage place to call me. I broke the mounting hole for the drain plug. I didn't strip the threads. I broke the cast aluminum sump. If I had used a mirror to check it or taken it off Monday when I did it I might have had time to ship it in.

No dealers stock it and it's $150.

My life sucks.

do you got somebody to weld it for you , than retap the hole , take off the pan , wash it very good , wash it with acetone than pour acetone over both sides do not wipe it off , let it air dry , you can have a welding shop weld it up , the hard part is taking the pan off and putting it back on .

do you got somebody to weld it for you , than retap the hole , take off the pan , wash it very good , wash it with acetone than pour acetone over both sides do not wipe it off , let it air dry , you can have a welding shop weld it up , the hard part is taking the pan off and putting it back on .

It's off the bike. I'm working on getting a used one if I can.

I don't know what exactly is broken, but you might consider JB Weld for a repair. I have used it for permanent repairs on engine cases before. You could even use it to permanently install the existing drain plug after drilling and tapping it for a slightly smaller replacement plug. Good luck,

Goose