IGNORED

Numb fingers

ArticusMedicus

Well, I rode about 120 miles yesterday. Longest trip so far on the 04.

I'm wanting to make darn good and sure she don't have an issues that I need to know about.

Well, I started to have troubles with my hands going numb. Starting with my little fingers and slowly spreading to the rest of my hand and fingers. I don't think it is from vibrations because I don't feel any.

What you guys think? I'm worried it is the position of my hands in relation the my heart.

Edited by ArticusMedicus

My 1st suggestion would be to check the carb sync.

My 2nd is to get a throttle rocker where most of the time you are using the palm of your hand.

My 3rd would be to think about how tight you are holding on to the grips.

My 4th would be to think about what kind of grips you have. Mine are the foam type and work good.

RandyA

Guest seuadr

you can also get gloves with the gel type lining in the palms, cuts down on it alot. but i find ( at least for me ) when my hands are getting numb i'm usually either leaning back too hard and stressing the nerves in my wrists, or i am holding on too hard.

If it's the first one, it's going to sound stupid, but instead of resting the heels on your pegs, rest the balls of your feet. it changes the dynamics of your legs, and your back so you are leaning forward slightly. this will take the pressure off your wrists and let blood flow back into your hands. i find if i move around from time to time of course that helps too, but what i mentioned there works every time for sore/numb wrists hands and shoulders.

I've had a problems for 25 yrs. with my little fingers going numb then the numbness spreading to the rest of my fingers. After trying everthing I could think of, changing

handlebars, position, grips and seeing a few doctors, it was determined the position of my elbows was causing pressure on some nerves that go to my hands. Started using elbow braces that would support and straighten out my elbows. Took some getting used to, but now ride without them. Have found I have to keep my arms straight and not bent to much and this has solved much of the problem. Once in awhile when I ride 500/600 miles or more in a day and get a little tired I feel my little fingers going numb and reposition my arms the feeling goes away. Since I have found and trained myself to a running position that elimiates this from happening, having my hands go numb is a rare coccurance.

Don't know if this could help your situtation....Good Luck.

Carb Sync. And maybe the type of grips you have on that thing. I had a set of pretty chrome grips on the 56 Pan chopper I had. Along with I think it was 18 or 24 inch Ape Hangers. Ended up covering them with foam sleeves. It was really bad. Don't remember where I got the sleves. Got a set of chrome ones now I would like to put on "Ugly" but this has stopped me. Lot of other good advice on this one. Maybe I will get them "Shiney Things" out and give them a try.

I have the same problem. When ever I ride without gloves my fingers get so numb that I can't feel the controls. So I tried using gloves that you can get at any bike shop, but it still was there. While in Panama City Beach at the Ralley I bought and tried a pair of Qwi nerve protection gloves, and since then I've had no problems.Their website is www.QwiNerveProtector.com If you want to check them out. It just might help you stay out riding for a longer ride.

I had the same problem and it was the result of gripping the throttle too tight. Several people recommended different grips so I figured let's go the cheap way first. I was digging around the garage and found some foam pipe insulation. It fit over the throttle just right and it's easy on, easy off. It doesn't interfere with the brake lever because the foam gives way when I use the front brakes. Another issue reported by several members was carpal tunnel, that may be my issue as well but I avoid doctors if at all possible. Good luck in figuring out a solution that works for you.

I have the same problem. When ever I ride without gloves my fingers get so numb that I can't feel the controls. So I tried using gloves that you can get at any bike shop, but it still was there. While in Panama City Beach at the Ralley I bought and tried a pair of Qwi nerve protection gloves, and since then I've had no problems.Their website is www.QwiNerveProtector.com If you want to check them out. It just might help you stay out riding for a longer ride.

Nighthawk, I think I'm going to try this route. I guess we will see what happens:think:

Another issue reported by several members was carpal tunnel

I am afraid this might be my issue. I have been shooting pistols for a long long time. I be I have cycled over a five million rounds :happy34:, just in the last five years. And that can be very hard on the hands.

I use the cruise as much as possible because of the same problem. With the cruise off, it doesn't take long to go numb. I switched to the foam grips but it only helped a little. When I feel numb I hit the cruise and take the numb hand off the bars and let it hang by my side and open & close it till the feeling comes back. Nowadays my right elbow bothers me a lot and sometimes I have a bit if a "trigerfinger" problem in the left thumb. I don't know if the elbow problem is due to the degenerative joint disease, from the bike, or all those nail I pounded when I was into framing and roofing all those years. I already had surgery for the "trigerfinger" problem on my right thumb a few years ago and surgery on the right knee for a torn miniscus. I'll see if if I can reposition my bars to see if I can releave some of the stress on the elbow now that you guys make me think about it. All these ackes and pains have me seriously entertaining the idea of putting a hack on the VR. Now if only the lawyer will come through on the lawsuit with workmans comp so I can afford one.

I have mild carpal tunnel. Years ago the doctor suggested stretching as a treatment. It has worked for me. Take your one hand and gently bend the first and middle fingers back until you feel the stretching in your wrist. Hold for a few seconds. Do this for both hands a few times.

Art,

If you can get out to the house here I'll carbtune the bike and a few other tricks. MRC came down from Barrie Ontario with the same problem and we sent him home without the numb hands :thumbsup2:

Being that you seem to have time on your hands :think: I think I'll take you up on that offer.

I was just told I need to tune my carbs because my bro can smell gas when I jump into the throttle and leave him behind.

I wouldn't know if it was shaking to much bein that I've never had one O' these.

You gotta hold on tight with that much power. :stirthepot:

I used to have numbness in both hands and a constant pain in the lower back til I put the Baron handlebar risers on.

All gone now.

Ponch

Tell me more about those risers? Like a link to em?

I have had 5 right shoulder operations and my right hand has always been a problem. California Sports Touring.com sell foam covers that slid over the hand grips. I use Simple Green and a lot of water to get them on. I have used them on a BMW Rt1150, 2006 Stratoliner and my 2005 Venture. I also put them on my wave runner. Some stores call them Hush Puppies ? I also go to Home Depot and get work gloves with padding or gel in the palms. They are a lot cheaper there than a bike shop and more to chose from. Wal mart sell a finger-less glove that is padded the I wear a lot.

Cb

Well, I rode about 120 miles yesterday. Longest trip so far on the 04.

I'm wanting to make darn good and sure she don't have an issues that I need to know about.

Well, I started to have troubles with my hands going numb. Starting with my little fingers and slowly spreading to the rest of my hand and fingers. I don't think it is from vibrations because I don't feel any.

What you guys think? I'm worried it is the position of my hands in relation the my heart.

I just had my right wrist carpal carved on and so far so good. My hand went dead on a VR ride, and stayed that way 24/7 for about 5 months until the operation. One thing that is strange about your symptoms is the little finger isn't effected by carpal, and you stated that your's went numb also?? If that's the case you might just be experiencing numb hand from lack of circulation, but not pinched off carpal nerves. One of the things I found while working -up- to the total dead hand sindrone is I had a tendency to over tighten the velcro strap on my fingerless riding gloves. It's easy to do. I got relief by just loosening the strap, relaxing my grip, and put on a few 600+ mile days with the help of a throttle lock on the '83VR. I don't think engine 'buzz' is causing your hand to go dead, and 'cushey' grips and padded gloves are going to help all that much. :stirthepot:

I had carpal in both hands. One thing you don't realize is that the 2-1/2 fingers to the outside (pinky, ring and half middle) the nerve for those run through the elbow at the "funny bone" area. This can become calcified also and thats what gives you the tinglies on those fingers. Thumb, pointer and other half of middle come through the "Carpal" area of the wrist. Doc operated on both, I'm fine now except for numbness when riding. Put a wrist-rest on there last week, so far so good!

I purchased the motorcycle gloves at this link

http://www.qwinerveprotector.com/MotorcycleGlove.html

I will not endorse a product unless it works for me and folks....IT WORKS! I rode just a bit over 200 miles yesterday and my fingers didn't fall asleep and I usually only make it to the 50 mile mark before trying to find different positions for the hand or using the cruise control. I have pretty good size hands and ordered the XXL. They are a bit tough to get on but they are starting to stretch out just a bit. It's a good product and it's something I wish I would have found sooner.

OK... I'm sold.. I make it 10-15 miles before my hand falls asleep and I need to use the cruise control. My V65 has foam grips, no good. My bicycle same thing. My hands have been doing this for 20 years. If these gloves work they will be a God send. I hope they dont cost a fortune, but on the other hand they might be worth it.