IGNORED

Side Reflectors to LED's

I know I've seen a post before where some one changed their reflectors by the front wheel and the rear crash bar to LED's.The front would be no problem,but I have the saddle bag rails and cannot figure out how to hide the wires with out them being seen.

Does any one that has done this give me detailed instructions? Pictures would be even

better,if that is possible.

There is a hole in the crash bar right behind the screw that holds on the bag rails. Just run the wire through the bar to there and then out the hole. The rubber spacers in the reflector mount that you need to use to make them fit the bag bars are slit, so just position that slit to the back and run the thin wire out the hole in the crash bar and over through the slit in the rubber spacer to get it inside the reflector mount. Only about one inch of wire is exposed that way, and being behind the rail, you will never see it. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

There is a hole in the crash bar right behind the screw that holds on the bag rails. Just run the wire through the bar to there and then out the hole. The rubber spacers in the reflector mount that you need to use to make them fit the bag bars are slit, so just position that slit to the back and run the thin wire out the hole in the crash bar and over through the slit in the rubber spacer to get it inside the reflector mount. Only about one inch of wire is exposed that way, and being behind the rail, you will never see it. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

:sign yeah that: Yeah what he said.

See my profile...easy to hid the wires to swap the red reflectors to LEDS near the bags. Put some black heli wrap on the wires and run them throw the bars and run them near the rear shock air valve into the battery box.

picture.php?albumid=276&pictureid=1932

Front wrap them again with black heliwrap and tyrap them to the brake lines..

picture.php?albumid=276&pictureid=1938

I didn't replace my front reflectors, rather I added LEDs to the reflectors (need to keep the reflectors to pass annual state inspection). Anyway, check [ame=http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=36949]this thread[/ame] for pics of running the wires along the brake lines, but completely hidden using black tubing.

I didn't replace my front reflectors, rather I added LEDs to the reflectors (need to keep the reflectors to pass annual state inspection). Anyway, check this thread for pics of running the wires along the brake lines, but completely hidden using black tubing.

Steve, there is no problem replacing the existing reflectors. The "drop in" replacements you can get from JCW and other places are both LED lights and reflectors.

Goose

Steve, there is no problem replacing the existing reflectors. The "drop in" replacements you can get from JCW and other places are both LED lights and reflectors.

Goose

Thanks for the info. I like the look of the total replacement, but have never seen them up close and in person. Sooooo..... now I have another project for the winter! :mo money:

I wonder how long the led's will last in the front where they bounce with the front tire?

How long have people had led's mounted there without problems?

I like the idea of leds on the side of my bike. I'm also thinking about putting them on their own circuit so I can use them as true parking lights, the led drain on the battery shouldn't be excessive.

I wonder how long the led's will last in the front where they bounce with the front tire?

How long have people had led's mounted there without problems?

I like the idea of leds on the side of my bike. I'm also thinking about putting them on their own circuit so I can use them as true parking lights, the led drain on the battery shouldn't be excessive.

Sense LEDs are solid state, they should last longer than the bike....

BUT it also depends on if they were "potted" into place. this would add a mechanical bond in addition to the mechanical bonding that the leads have.

I doubt they are tested to MIL-STD-810 shock and vibration specs.

I was wondering if there was some specific units - part numbers - that replace the front and rear side reflectors?

Birin

Whoa...

Got mine from JP Cycles 19.99 each amber or red

Part number 3300773 Amber and 3300774 Red

15 single density LEDs per light. They are exactly like the stock reflectors except they have chrome trim around the outside of the LED. The have the 3m stick tape on the back of them just like the rear reflector. I took a 1" aluminum flat bar and installed a bolt flush to mount them on the front.

Lot cheaper than $80 a pair

http://www.jpcycles.com/Search/ProductDetail?sku=3300773&Ntt=3300773&Ntk=product_number&Ne=0&N=0&Ntt=3300773&Ntk=sku_search&results=10

http://www.jpcycles.com/Search/ProductDetail?sku=3300774&Ntt=3300774&Ntk=product_number&Ne=0&N=0&Ntt=3300774&Ntk=sku_search&results=10

JCW prices have gone through the roof in the past two years - I have about quit ordering from them. Those lights used to be $40 a pair there, and I thought they were too expensive then. The gauges I use to sync carbs were $50 for about 20 years, but now they are selling them for $120 when everybody else sell them for $80. Glad you posted a better source.

Goose

• 8 months later...

I was wondering if there was any "trick" to seperating the existing relector from the plasctic mounting unit - so the LED can be taped in.

Apply heat etc? I dont want to wreck the plastic housing.

Thanks

Thanks for posting those Mike. I got a pair of fronts on the way.

Heck, everting else EXCEPT to small light bulb for the lic plate

is now LED.

Did you just run a wire up behind the brake hose's?

birin, I was thinking the same thing , I think I am going to use

a little heat as well. I will remove them first.

Jeff

Thanks for posting those Mike. I got a pair of fronts on the way.

Heck, everting else EXCEPT to small light bulb for the lic plate

is now LED.

Did you just run a wire up behind the brake hose's?

birin, I was thinking the same thing , I think I am going to use

a little heat as well. I will remove them first.

Jeff

Just took some heli tubing and wrapped the two wires then tie wrap them to the brake lines...on the back side with small black tyraps.

Also to remove them...if you do not have a heat gun...3m makes a adhesive remover that desolved that sticky stuff so you can pull them off. I you destroy them, who cares, if you save them, what are you gonna do with them anyway...loose them in your stack of stuff?

:rolleyes:I just found out today after all these years that J&P is in my state:confused24:

and ONLY about 45 mins away from me :whistling:

I guess I need to go to there open house and ride-in's once in a while now.

what a dummy! could have been saving on shipping all this time :D and man

1 day shipping all the time sheesh I thought that was fast.

OH MY, I will go back to hanging my head in shame now.:think:

and yes I thought I would share this finding with you all *LOL

And thanks for the tip on the LED's they are great.

Jeff