IGNORED

Side Reflectors to LED's

I got my LEDs in yesterday and was out working on them this evening..

Pulled the rear red ones off and got them separated nicely and with a small dremel bit got a small hole carved out the back to pass the wired through.. Glued the new red LED panels on the housing using Automotive "Goop"... this is a neat adhesive that really sticks to stuff..

Right now looking to figure out how to pass the wires through the crash bars without taking them off.. I shall be hooking these LEDs up to the Saddle Bag light bars connectors so I won't need to route them up but down through the bottom. There is already holes where the housing fits on.. Just not sure how to fish these wires through the crash bars..

Amber front.. Ok.. stumped.. how do you keep these attached to the front? Again I could used a good dollop of Automotive Goop there to glue them on but would feel much safer if they were bolted on like the OEM ones..

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance..

(I'll be posting pics later this week of the additional safety lighting I've done to the bike this past week.. Quite 'attention getting' for the cager to notice you...)

they will never move or come off with household goop. I am sure the auto goop is the same thing. that is how mine are going on. then have (2) black wires , remove the yellow one, and come up the back of the brake line so you will not see the wire.

you are going to remove the amber lens and have the whole black base to attach goop that is a lot of area to apply to.

they will never move or come off with household goop. I am sure the auto goop is the same thing. that is how mine are going on. then have (2) black wires , remove the yellow one, and come up the back of the brake line so you will not see the wire.

you are going to remove the amber lens and have the whole black base to attach goop that is a lot of area to apply to.

Remove the yellow wire? What are you using as ground then? I tested the lights using the yellow as pos and black as neg which worked..

If I pop the OEM amber out of it's housing, the housing is too small for the new LED lens to fit in there, know what I mean? I'd have to do a lot of trimming to remove the edge of the housing to make it flat to glue to the back of the new LED lens.

Or am I missing something?

yes, replace the yellow with black (hiding wire color)

run both wires (black) behind each brake line.

you could even goop (dot) them up the back side

holing them temporally with tie wraps until goop is fully cured.

Yes you will have to dremal the edge of the

old base. and then goop away.

Just not sure how to fish these wires through the crash bars..

I found it was fairly easy to run a line through the bars, then use that to pull the wires with the bars off. You might try pushing a solid copper wire through and then pulling the wires through with that. I think you will spend more time doing that than you would just removing the bars and fishing it, though.

Just took some heli tubing and wrapped the two wires then tie wrap them to the brake lines...on the back side with small black tyraps.
Why not just wrap the wires and the brake line together with a slightly larger tubing? I'm thinking it would look neater.

Right now looking to figure out how to pass the wires through the crash bars without taking them off..

I did like Gray Ghost and ran a wire in first, pulled them through (also greased them up a little bit) BUT make sure you sand/file down the holes as smooth as you can I found that on my first attempt the holes cut, shaved off some of the wire wrap(coating)

yes, replace the yellow with black (hiding wire color)

run both wires (black) behind each brake line.

you could even goop (dot) them up the back side

holing them temporally with tie wraps until goop is fully cured.

Yes you will have to dremal the edge of the

old base. and then goop away.

Understood.. I even went back out to reverse test the wiring to see what you were going on about.. silly me, sorry about that..

I have to dig out my old VStar reflectors to trial on those as here also we have to have front reflectors on our bikes.. if I pooch this task up then I'm on the hook for a moving violation if I don't have them up on the bike proper ;)

BUT my red LEDs are installed and wow.. looks snazzy.. you don't notice them much during the day time but any shade or dusk / dark and these pop up nicely!!

I was surprised at how easily I was able to fish the wires through the tubes while they were still attached.. nice.. I just used a length of lockwire (stainless steel wire) with a hook on the end of it, passed it up through the bottom end of the crash bar tubing near the wheel, when the loop showed up near the two holes that are located under where the reflector light housings sit, I then used another hooked lockwire to hook the first one, needle nose pliers to pull it back out of the tubing. The red/black wires were taped together at the end, then the long lockwire hook placed between the wired and taped together down to a taper towards the long end of the lockwire and basically snaked it all back through gentle, being careful not to shave off any insulation.. and poof, just like that.. start to finish less than two minutes on each side.. wow.. I have to admit *I* was impressed how easy THAT was..

I connected the red to the saddle bag light bar system from Diamond Accessories ( http://www.diamondraccessories.com/yamaha/proddisplay.php?name=RSV/RSTD%20LED%20Saddlebag%20Light%20Bar ) and hooked the ground and toot fini..

Now, with all these lights I have on the BACK and side of the bike.. I pity the cager who runs into me with that bovine look of incomprehension saying "Sorry, I didn't see you"..

I would be justified in rendered him a severe beating about the head and shoulders with a wet rag.. you know, just saying.. cuz, yeah... you know.. ;)

Once I locate my VStar reflectors, I'll add those on as well..

next winter project will be cleaning up all this wiring work I've been doing.. I wants to ride, not be an electrician ;)

w000t

I got my lights today

I purchased the leather studded wraps from Chilhowee

http://www.chilhowee.net/saddlebag-guard-covers/080428001.html

I have the bag guards on my MIDNIGHT and the reflector is mounted on the bag guards - not the main stock bar at the rear.

I plan to simply run the wire under the leather wrap to the base of the bike and then into the battery box.

I see I have a red and and black wire on the new LEDs. Can anyone help with where these connect? What color is the primary running light wire- where does the RED LED ligt wire connect too ? And the black is simply ground?

Appreciate your help

Bill

I got my lights today

I purchased the leather studded wraps from Chilhowee

http://www.chilhowee.net/saddlebag-guard-covers/080428001.html

I have the bag guards on my MIDNIGHT and the reflector is mounted on the bag guards - not the main stock bar at the rear.

I plan to simply run the wire under the leather wrap to the base of the bike and then into the battery box.

I see I have a red and and black wire on the new LEDs. Can anyone help with where these connect? What color is the primary running light wire- where does the RED LED ligt wire connect too ? And the black is simply ground?

Appreciate your help

Bill

RED is usually always "hot" or POSITIVE while black is usually always "ground" or negative. The black can be attached to any solid metal part of the bike. The RED can be connected to the running light wire in the bundle of wires found behind the license plate.. Or as in my case, I jumped onto the under the bag lighting wire (Diamond Accessories) but failing that, go behind the license plate, you just have to figure out where to route your wires..

Nice link to the wraps.. though it wouldn't load (no link referral access) I'll have to check that out too as I got my bag guards and was thinking out loud where to run my wires.. Hmm

Cheers M8