IGNORED

The Big Day has arrived!

YamaDuck

The Big Day has finally arrived. James (Highlander) Tut (a Harley Davidson owner friend) and I are leaving Wednesday morning from Fayetteville, Ga. at 6am on our trip. Now this may be a little long so bare with me as we are going to put about 11,500 miles on our Ventures (and HD) in about 28 days. (I sure hope the HD holds up:fingers-crossed-emo).

I'm not going to mention the cities as it will take to long for my two little fingers to type. But the states are, GA, Tn, Ky, Il, Mo, Nb, Ia, SD, Wy, Mt, Wy, Id, Mt, Id, Wa, Or, Ca, Na, Az, Ut, Co, Ks, Mo, Il, Ky, Tn and finally back in Ga. My :moon: hurts just thinking about it.

Now is the part where you come in. I would like all of you to keep us in your thoughts and prayers that everything goes alright and we all arrive at our homes safe and sound. Oh and a little prayer wouldn't hurt to keep us on our time table.:2143:

See ya'll in about a month,

Yamaduck

wow sounds like quite a venture....:whistling:

hope all goes well for you guys and you have a blast........

make sure u take your trusty venturerider assistance list along in case you have problems along the way.

Is there such a list or is it something you have to go through and build from the membership list?

Is there such a list or is it something you have to go through and build from the membership list?

Harry,

1st off enjoy that trip! Lonna and I did a similar one that took us 9315 miles in 28 days. I wish I could do a ride like that every year.

Here is the link to the VR assistance page, you'll have to print it out and keep it in your bike unless you have a laptop with you.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/memberlist.php?&field12=2&order=asc&sort=location&pp=30&page=1

Be safe and have a great time :thumbsup2:

Harry,

1st off enjoy that trip! Lonna and I did a similar one that took us 9315 miles in 28 days. I wish I could do a ride like that every year.

Here is the link to the VR assistance page, you'll have to print it out and keep it in your bike unless you have a laptop with you.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/memberlist.php?&field12=2&order=asc&sort=location&pp=30&page=1

Be safe and have a great time :thumbsup2:

Probably in the FAQ, but is there a way to get a printable version? Printing 30 individual pages... ugh.

Dave

Thanks utadventure for your very gracious offer. Our route does take us through UT but not near SLC unfortunately. Thanks again for your very kind offer. Cinderella thank you for your well wishes and your great advice about the help network, I totally did not think of it but a great idea. Squidley thanks for the link that will make getting the info a lot easier.:thumbsup2:

I rode with a 3 guys from my home town in arkansas and 1 from kansas city Mo., we started our trip the 5th of july. The other 4 guys are on their way to Alaska, i went to moses lake Wa. it wsa 2427 miles for me and the best part of the trip so far was the Beartooth Pass. We spent the night in Red Lodge Montana it was 42 deg. when we left and 33 deg. of Beartooth. This alone was worth the trip.

Enjoy your trip and watch out for the other guy.

I will start my trip back to

arkansas in the morning.

• 1 month later...

Well we're back. I'm sorry if I didn't contact anybody as we went through your state. I had copied everyone's phone number down along with the VRassistance info and I l forgot to take it. A few of you called and it was great talking to you.

It was a great trip but very exhausting. Our shortest days were 11 hours and our longest days were 15 hours. There were many more 15 hour days then there were 11 hour days. We hit 20 states 8 of which we hit twice. Two states we hit 3 times. We were sleeted on once at over 9,500 feet and were in Washington state during their record breaking high temperatures. I don't care if it is a dry heat 106 is still hot. I had to close the vent on my windshield as it felt like a blow dryer blowing in your face. You don't sweat much though.

Our highest elevation (and I have a GPS picture to prove it) was 14,171 feet. Boy is the are thin up there. I believe we were above 7,500 feet more than we were below it. We saw many wonderful animals ( I even had a squirrel in the bed, when I turn down the cover out popped a squirrel) many beautiful flowers, and many many beautiful mountains and streams.

We traveled 11,155 miles in 31 days and we could have traveled the same distance in 310 days and still not seen everything. The drivers were so curtius except in the southeast (mostly GA and TN). Drivers only drove in the left lanes when they passed people unlike it is around here where people come straight off the entrance ramp and go straight to the left lane and campout.

Our Ventures were the hit of the trip though. Not but one problem between two bike the whole trip. My shift lever bolt came out somewhere and I had to get a metic bolt from NAPA. People acted like they had never seen a Venture before. We would walk up from sight seeing and there would be people taking pictures in front of our bikes. We offered to let people sit on the bikes and take pictures. People would take pictures of us on the Ventures. Peoples just loved the big Ventures.

The biggest negative was the gas mileage. When you got the Ventures up to 75 mph the gas mileage dropped to about 35 to 37 mpg and when you got it close to 80 or a gusty head wind it dropped to around 30 mpg.

All in all after 31 days I was glad to get back to my wife and kids.

Harry

Thanks Squidley, it's nice to be home. Only had one near miss. Sun was setting behind me and a car pulled out in front of me at the entrance to Bryce Canyon. Didn't think I could stop it but I did. I guess he couldn't see me because of the sun. Oh and the tar snakes are very slippery out west also.:thumbsup2:

• 1 year later...