IGNORED

Undercover/Not so Secretive Meet

OK,a few watched the post "Member in need of Help" where we helped out a Member from Utah with a shock problem and figured out fast we had somthing going on..Well We did! Ponch and BuddyRich cooked up an idea to get together at my house for an "Adjust Valves learning seminar maintenance day" We had this Grand Idea if we took 4-5 members and taught them how to adjust valves we could spread our knowledge with everyone else at Mini Maintenance Days in the future. Well,V7Goose Myself ,Ponch,Gunboat and GuthDaddy tackled into it. It was a successful learning experience.I now know how to adjust the valves on a 2nd Gen. I also know I am not as young as I thought I was, and seeing my bike torn down was a very TRAUMATIC experience to say the least. Also, I learned before I do it again I WILL buy a Motorcycle Jack that I can drive onto and lift it to where I can stand up and work on it! We did 4 bikes and took from daylight till dark..hope BuddyRich made it home OK. The other thing I learned is I can't see as good as I thought I could! Anyway,Thanks To BuddyRich for the special tool and expert help,V7Goose and the rest for everything. A special thanks to Ponch for making a set of gauges to put in place of my cassette player..I now have a Temp Gauge, Oil Pressure gauge and a Volt meter where the cassette player WAS! V7Goose...thanks for showing me how to set my floats..it sure is running great! 2.5 cases of beer,1/2 gallon of salsa, a case of gatorade,100 gallons of water, couple gallons of tea and 8 bottles of ALEVE was all it took to make it thru OK! Tom

Next to last Picture,Goose in a heavy conversation about the Venture front forks...Last picture ONE of my dogs trying to find the squirrel that just ran up that darn tree"Im gonna get that Squirrell" little did it know it was on the other side of the tree getting an acorn out of that hole! NOTE,ADDED 2 Pictures of the Gauges at the last. Tom

Edited by Tom

I sure wish that someone close to me would have one of thes training sessions. I would definitely attend that one so I would know more about working on these motorcycles and could maybe help someone else down the road. I love the gauges, would like to have a set of those. thanks tim:thumbsup:

Guest HdHtr
The way I feel, A hurry up and shoot me meet! Sore You bet!

I was wondering ... Buddy don't feel much better I think ... he emailed me last night wanting me to overnight him Advil about as big around as the top of my coffee cup ...

Guest HdHtr
Yea, Where's that Advil at anyway Steve ???

Post Office is closed ... i guess I could bring it to you ... if I left now ...

You know, I didn't think you 2nd gen guys would have to be told this ... but when you works on one of these things ... you don'ts have to pick them up and hold them ... much better to just put the kickstand down since you don't got no main stand and work on them while they is just sitting there. That way yous don't have to take turns holding the rear of the bikes up off the ground ... and yous wouldn't hurt so bad ...

Oooh very very nice.. I live in Nova Scotia and would ride out a day or two south to gather up with others for such an event.. So much I'd love to get done to my bike but shy to do it myself without seeing someone else do it.. (show me and I learn)..

Currently up here, I install leveling links and RK pipes for other RSV riders.. same as me, they wouldn't find it that hard but if you never saw it done before you are shy of it..

Please DO drop me a line if anyone is having a Maint Day in Mass or north to Maine etc..

I'd LOVE to attend and learn!!

Good on ya, gents!

:doh: Now I know why I hurt all over.:hurts::hurts:

I didn't think Tom was gonna get up off the floor there for a while.:whistling::whistling::rotf:

You would really have hurt if you wouldve tried to get me off the floor..probably gotten a hernia!

Made it back to North TX a couple of hours ago - just a tad warm out there this afternoon!

I gotta say what a fantastic host Tom and wife Debbie were for us down there - Ponch and I kinda took some liberties when we invited ourselves to his place as the central Texas location instead of either him riding all the way up here or me all the way to Houston. Tom and Debbie really took our invasion graciously, made us welcome, fed us, and never hinted that it was time for us to leave!

But I can't help but comment on how little Tom seems to ride his Venture - he claims to have around 25,000 miles on it, but the scientific evidence is to the contrary! From looking at his carbs, I seriously doubt if he has bought his third tank of gas yet!!!! He's just a poser - the only thing missing from this picture is a trailer with a Harley emblem on it!

Goose

Made it back to North TX a couple of hours ago - just a tad warm out there this afternoon!

I gotta say what a fantastic host Tom and wife Debbie were for us down there - Ponch and I kinda took some liberties when we invited ourselves to his place as the central Texas location instead of either him riding all the way up here or me all the way to Houston. Tom and Debbie really took our invasion graciously, made us welcome, fed us, and never hinted that it was time for us to leave!

But I can't help but comment on how little Tom seems to ride his Venture - he claims to have around 25,000 miles on it, but the scientific evidence is to the contrary! From looking at his carbs, I seriously doubt if he has bought his third tank of gas yet!!!! He's just a poser - the only thing missing from this picture is a trailer with a Harley emblem on it!

Goose

UH--UMMMM...Explain the AIR COMPRESSOR that dont LEAK AIR...The Throttle Sensor...The Perfect tuned Carbs..Need I go Farther???? In all seriousness Goose,It is how well you ride and handle the Beast!! Next Time I will give YOU a few riding skill lessons! Thanks Man..I really appreciated all you did and WELCOME at our Home ANYTIME!

yep we did 4 bikes in one day. i even got a late start, i got to sleep in til 8:00 am. thanks to all for the help & friendship. especilay buddy rich who stayed late to help me fix my oil leak. (valve cover had a leak) lucky it was easy to get at. ponch & goose were right in there also. now let me tell you this is not a job for the weak harted. once you start tearing your bike apart, holly moley you have a lot of parts piled up. we did the valve adjustment & set the carb float levels & rechecked the carb synch. a lot of stuff going on at one time. i would have not atempted all of this on my own. now i have done the carb synch before on my bike & a few others & it's not so bad. this was a venture family effort. but not last was tom and debbie who put up with all of this. thanks so much. debbie i sware tom gave me that "bucket" to use to clean my carbs with. it was nice to see larry again & to meet bob from utah who had the bad shock.

best reguards to all

don c.

I would like to run to Texas sometime to learn from the gurus how to set the valves and set the floats. I can then extend this knowledge up here in Great Flyover Country of the Midwest.

Goose is a one day ride (1100 miles), BuddyRich might be doable in a day (1330 miles). Could do this in a 3 day weekend if we don't spent too much time consuming the honorary beverages.

Would some of you be willing to teach a Grasshopper your mechanical Ninja secrets?

Perhaps a weekend in late Sept. or October? Maybe in the spring?

RR

Edited by RedRider

Oooh very very nice.. I live in Nova Scotia and would ride out a day or two south to gather up with others for such an event.. So much I'd love to get done to my bike but shy to do it myself without seeing someone else do it.. (show me and I learn)..

Currently up here, I install leveling links and RK pipes for other RSV riders.. same as me, they wouldn't find it that hard but if you never saw it done before you are shy of it..

Please DO drop me a line if anyone is having a Maint Day in Mass or north to Maine etc..

I'd LOVE to attend and learn!!

Good on ya, gents!

DITTO here. I work on cars with no problem but bikes are new to me. Would love to learn from some experience RS owners to do my own and then help others. I havenot seen many members this direction. I keep looking.

Keep up the great info cause I can read (most of the time) the how to's here.

Thanks, Wayde:hurts:

Great job guys, I was probably working on an '07 at the same timew as you boys were down there. Good job on the comeraderie and those gauges are pretty slick aren't thet Tom

:thumbsup2:

I Love those gauges Brad and they fit perfect where that dad blame^%$#% cassette player WAS. To all the rest of you AFTER I get over this soreness I will explain what all you take off to get to the Valve covers and a Brief idea on the Valve adjustment. The ones wanting to come down and learn,,Well I am going to get a VERY good Motorcycle lift to where I can stand up and work on it..would be much easier! (Out of shape old fat guys need to stay off the floor for extended periods) Of course would have to get our resident wrenchers also but they are cheap help..one survives on beer,the other Salsa/roast beef and potatoes and a little Advil. Tom