IGNORED

Florida to Nova Scota to Vancouver to ...

1joeranger

Ended my job, placed the few possessions I have in storage, those that would not fit on the bike, and started the 09 Summer Tour today! Drove 366 miles out of Florida through Alabama finally stopping at James H. (Sloppy) Floyd State Park near Rome, GA. 366 miles in great weather, Bike with loaded trailer averaged 38mpg, not a bad day!

Plan on seeing Lee University in Cleveland, TN, the Cherokee Nation in Cherokee, NC, and hitting the Blue Ridge Parkway tomorrow! Before this ends hope to visit Nova Scotia, Vancouver and everything in between. Should be a great summer!

Visiting this site constantly for advice, insight, and recommendations helped in preparing the bike and trailer for this trip! Thanks to all!!

I rode to Prince Edwards Isl and Nova Scotia in 2001 I highly recomend Nova Scotia but didn't care for Prince Edwards isl the bridge going over was the scariest ride I ever had the wind was blowing and it is only a 2 lane road so one minute you are looking at the ocean the next you are looking at on coming traffic but if you go to Nova Scotia camp at the nat park on the noerthern tip it is awsome then motor down to the southern port you will not be dissappointed.

:hurts:

Going there to, God willing! Spent childhood at Loring AFB, Maine so I have to go through Newfoundland (sp?) to get there from Nova Scotia, I think? Bottom line I going through Newfoundland and hopefully taking my time while there!!

Newfoundland would be a separate side trip; its not on the way to anywhere. You would have to ride Nova Scotia to the northeast end and take the ferry from North Sydney to either Port aux Basques or Argentia. Make sure you ride the Cabot Trail in Nova Scotia (Cape Breton).

Newfoundland by itself is a great MC destination and to spend less than 4-5 days there would not do it justice (a week or more would be better, if you have the time). If you would only have a couple of days on the island, I would suggest taking the ferry to Port aux Basques (shorter crossing (~6 hr) and less expensive) and focus on the western part of Newfoundland; especially Gros Morne National Park on the Northern Peninsula. North-central coast (Twillingate, Fogo) and east coast (Bonavista, Terra Nova Park, Avalon Peninsula, St. John's) are also great. If you want information on motorcycle riding in Newfoundland, try this website. Ask some questions and I'm sure you will get a lot of responses and suggestions. Newfoundlanders are among the most friendly people I have met anywhere. (Watch out for Moose on the highways, especially during evening hours!!)

I was there last year and I plan to go back in a couple of weeks. The ferry is a good long day's ride from where I live so getting there is not a big deal for me. Ferry reservations are STRONGLY recommended. Check here.

Sounds like a great trip.

Ross

When you get to B.C. I suggest you plan on a week in Nelson and rive the various loops with Nelson as your base. When you get as far as Hope B.C. I suggest you branch off onto Highway 7 to Horseshoe Bay then take the ferry to Naniamo. Ride up to Long Beach and explore then head down to Victoria and take the ferry to Port Washington and continue south along the coast road. If you do get to Vancouver Island let me know and we could meet up. Saltspring is a great place.

Well the trip so far has been a blast!! Love the Blue Ridge Parkway. Found the North Carolina portion very instructional and was quite pleased when the RSTD haul the trailer up to Mt. Mitchell at 6300ft elevation (or thereabouts) The BRP thru Virginia was fantastic! I was able to relax a little and enjoy the senery. I found the back roads of Pennsylvania heaven! Actually found ourselves in Dairy country. Nigara Falls was a zoo! To many people and to commercialized. Glad I went, but never again.

We have had to contend with some rain, but nothing dishearting. Or biggest issues have been getting an early start and trying to stay out of Walmart!! I think, now though we have all the gear worked out and late starts, when your bewteen jobs, does not really matter!

Tonight we are at Four Mile State Park, NY. Tomorrow we are going to the Reinnesance Festival in Sterling, NY then it is on to New England then Nova Scotia! I could use some info on Camping there in NS.

If youre taking the Trans Canada hiway from Nova scotia to Vancouver, youre gonna cross the Canadian prairie from Winnipeg Manitoba to Calgary Alberta. I am in Regina Saskatchewan and about halfway between them and a good place to overnight. If you need a place to stay or want someone to ride with send me a pm and we can set something up!

Ride safe!

Brian