IGNORED

147 MPH and no ticket

Gray Ghost

Ohio State Patrol clocked a couple of motorcycles speeding. The lead was going 147 MPH. There is video on this link along with the story.

The quote that got me was: http://www.nbc4i.com/cmh/news/local/article/osp_video_off-duty_trooper_officer_ticketed_for_speeding/19172/

Trooper Bryan Lee: “Either one of you have anything on you I need to know about?”

“No sir. A couple badges is all,” one of the motorcyclists said.

They were given tickets later but not during the traffic stop. All I could think of was that if it had been me, they would have had me on the ground and cuffed before hauling me in.

I wouldnt have admitted on camera that I was a cop, I would have taken my lumps:crying: and gotten on with it, it could cost them their jobs, especially the one on injured leave. In the first place I would never:no-no-no: have been going that fast, when I was younger I had a Kaw Z1 and I had it up to 117 mph, and that was way too fast for me, but that was on a closed section of Interstate under construction, and if something would have gone wrong the only one hurting:starz: from it would have been me, these clowns were doing it on a busy interstate.......DUH! They should have been sited for careless and reckless driving:buttkick: along with speeding. So much for my :soapbox:

I suspect the cop on medical leave will soon be unemployed and may even face fraud charges and the Trooper may also be seeking other employment.

That kind of speed on an Ohio Interstate is way beyond bad judgement. The same speed on a deserted interstate out west here wouldn't be wise, but they'd only endanger themselves. Just imagine hitting a deer or antelope at that speed.

You all are being much nicer than the people on advrider are about this. I have always thought that cops should set a better example than the rest of us. Above all though don't be a hypocrite and charge people with the same thing that they are guilty of. I have a good friend that I also worked with. Every evening when we got off we would be on each others tail running faster than the speed limit. He became a deputy sheriff and I asked him if he issued very many tickets for speeding. I give him credit for saying that people have to be doing something pretty bad before he bothers them. Here in our rural county there are plenty of other things the deputies need to be doing. He's a state park ranger now so he doesn't have to worry about it.

it's a fact police officers do favors for each other. i have several close freinds that are cops and my nephew is a cop. i highly doubt if my nehew would give me a ticket if i was caught speeding. i would expect him to but can't see it happening. thats just the way things are and always have been. cops take care of each other. if i was a cop i would be the same way. cops are just human like all the rest of us. sure would be a rough world without them. bill :2133:

I have relatives who were troopers. I can understand, a little bit, letting a fellow cop slide, but for more than double the speed limit. No way. And I wouldn't have any respect for anyone who would turn a blind eye to that. I still recall a cousin who was fairly high up in the state patrol. His mom got a ticket one day and told him about it, thinking he might "help" out. His response was, "I guess that will teach you to keep your foot out of the carbureator".

I have relatives who were troopers. I can understand, a little bit, letting a fellow cop slide, but for more than double the speed limit. No way. And I wouldn't have any respect for anyone who would turn a blind eye to that. I still recall a cousin who was fairly high up in the state patrol. His mom got a ticket one day and told him about it, thinking he might "help" out. His response was, "I guess that will teach you to keep your foot out of the carbureator".
i would have to hand it to your cousin for doing the job he was getting paid to do. i just may have done the same thing. i don't know. if my mother took advantage of the system i would throw the book at her. just would depend upon the circumstances. if i was a cop i probably would'nd last a month. first i could never carry a gun, i would be in prison in no time. if i break the law and get caught i have no argument. and i would not be lenient to people who break the law. i am a very hard person and have no compassion for law breakers. snarley bill :2133:

Not addressing the OP and the officers not getting tickets. Something else. Based on some things I've read on this forum and others, should officers be allowed to give breaks and issue warnings? I'm not just talking about dead tags or something similar. I'm referring to anything from speeding up to reckless.

Just thought Gray Ghost should know he was quoted by an officer in the comments under the video as to what would happen if it was one of us . Nobody move big brother is watching /er reading . Jus in case I sure am glad I don't speed :whistling: anymore .Don't you hate unidentified quotes ? Badjas we dont need no stinkin badjas.

Well they do give breaks here...even to us corrections people. Some of our guys have gotten tickets too and were po'd at them for it. They mentioned to the officers that they were corrections and almost demanded to be let off! Thats nerve and wrong if you ask me.

I would be po'd too....for getting caught, not for the officer doing what he/she is supposed to do.

We also had a city officer get a speeding ticket from a RCMP officer...the mountie told the city officer that he should know better and sent him on his way with his tag.

I drive this section of I-70 on a daily basis. sometimes on my bike and other times iin my car. Look at the amount of traffic that goes by just during this clip. These guys should be held to the same level of accounaability as any of us should. I believe they will pay for their actions. I also think they were hoping to get off scott free or they would have never mentioned anything about their badges in the first place. It's a shame that bikers of any sort think they have to ride this fast on public roads. My wife alos drives this stretch of highway daily and I can't imagine how I would feel if something would happen to her because of a couple hot doggers like these guys.

Maybe they were trying to show off, but to me they juist proved their total stupidity.

Rant over.

it's a fact police officers do favors for each other. i have several close freinds that are cops and my nephew is a cop. i highly doubt if my nehew would give me a ticket if i was caught speeding. i would expect him to but can't see it happening. thats just the way things are and always have been. cops take care of each other. if i was a cop i would be the same way. cops are just human like all the rest of us. sure would be a rough world without them. bill :2133:

Pulled over by a MHP on US49 down here on the Gulf Coast.. Yeah, ok, I was about 30+- over the limit.. When I was taking my license out, my Deputy Sheriff badge kinda-sorta inadvertently peeked out. As the trooper peered at me from under his 'Smokey' hat and over the rims of his RayBans he just said " Son, You of all should know better " handed me a ticket for the full violation and drove off. Can't really expect 'Professional Courtesy' in all cases.

On the news last night they actually said the two were given speeding tickets. The Ohio State Highway Patrol is investigating the whole incident though, because the one officer shut off the mic on the video camera inside the car. That is not standard procedure apparently.

The news also went on to say that the highway patrol has given out many tickets to people for speeds in excess of 100mph on Ohio highways. Peopl are sure in a hurry to get where they are going around here. Maybe they should leave home a little earlier.