I am looking for a starter/fuel pump relay. Does anyone have an extra or know what dealer might have one in stock? Part number 5EA-81950-00. I need ASAP. If you can help I would appreciate it very much. Bill:thumbsup:

Edited by wm.butler
claify info

I have one off a Roadstar, but the part # is a little different.

3en-81950-00

but beneath that

G8R-30Y-B

19Y9D2

Yamaha is pretty good at parts bin engineering and using a lot of the same parts across all the bikes but changing the prefix.

My wiring diagram shows this relay powers the fuel pump, side stand & a host of other items. I have no power going to the fuel pump. Here is how it happened. I left my key on, killing the battery. I put it on a charger. waited a while battery not up so I put the charger on boost(BIG MISTAKE)! I cranked it a few times with the 10 amp boost I must have fried this relay & maybe even the fuel pump. The fuel pump will not energize, I tried it with 12v direct. Needless to say this is going to cost me big! Anybody out there parting out a 2001 RSV?
:crying:

Yes the first thing I did was check the fuses & discovered the fuel pump is not fused it has a relay. I have no power going to the pump. The relay powers the pump. I think I fried the relay & maybe even the pump.

I got the relay today. Plugged it in & the engine started briefly & quit. I cranked it & found the pump is not working. Now I need a pump, this thing is like 230 bucks. I checked for used, Pinwall has one but wont guarantee that it works! I just wonder if there is a rebuild kit available.

I'd connect the Pump directly to a 12 Battery or other 12 Volt source. Then work on the ground Connector to give the Pump intermittent Power. If only the Diaphragm is stuck from Fuel Residue) it could free up again. Also, the Fuel Pressure Switch inside the Pump could have a bad Connection. I'd open the the Cap and take a Look inside.

I checked for continuity I have it. Took off the cap like you said & it looks like a set of pointes inside. They are closed I can work them back & forth but they stay closed. How tough are these things? Is it possible the armiture is burned up from me giving the battery a fast 10 amp boost? Sounds like you've dealt with these pumps before. I just want to make sure its shot before I spend the bucks on a new one. I had a trip planned for this weekend but it looks like its postponed. Bill

If you're looking to get your bike running right away, without a pump, here is a discussion I had with Mike G in SC, on this forum;

My fuel pump died last week (2006 RSTD 53k miles). Will be replaced under warranty.

But while I wait,,, I got to ride.

Yes you can bypass the filter/pump and gravity feed, and do this in 15 minutes.

So, pull the seat, pull the line going from tank to the fuel filter, and relocate it to

the carburetor input. I did have to remove the seat tank bolt to be able to lift the tank enough to get a needle nose on the clamp to the carb line.

With this, I did disconnect power to the fuel pump, as it was trying to spit some remaining fuel. I also spent $5 and put an in-line filter, 3" hose and two clamps.

I put it right off the petcock. When the shop replaces it this week, they can just put it back together seeing how I didn't do any chop work. Be sure you don't have loose gas dripping from any unhooked hoses.

So you know, the fuel pump & filter are NOT under the tank, found that out.

The pump is in the left side cover by the fuse box, it's electrical plug is right under the fuse box. And the filter is just in front of the battery.

I've been riding it on gravity feed for a few days now, and yes, keeping the fuel level above 1/4 tank. I don't think I would know the difference. PS: the shop said Yamaha sells this Mitsubishi part for $250,,, thanks for the 5 year warranty.

It's really nice to know you can do this in a pinch. Next time you pull the seat you may want to look at the hoses, wiggle the one from the tank so you know where it is. Then if you are out in the boonies, with just regular tools you can drive off with out the pump.

Thanks a million! I have spent hours on the phone trying to locate one of these pumps. I even called the Yamaha Warehouse in Wisconsin. Yes they have it in stock but they will only ship to a dealer. Literally I have found this part @ dealerships anywhere from $217-$275 makes you wonder wholesale cost would be???? I have called salvage yards, they want $90-125 for a pump off a 1999. Its true, they have a corner on this market!! I appreciate your info. Thank You!:smile5:

I can't help it - just gotta ask . . .

Why are you so insistent on spending that kind of wasted money instead of buying a generic pump from JCW for about $40?

It's not that I care how you spend your money - I'm just flabbergasted at the decision!

Goose

I can't help it - just gotta ask . . .

Why are you so insistent on spending that kind of wasted money instead of buying a generic pump from JCW for about $40?

It's not that I care how you spend your money - I'm just flabbergasted at the decision!

Goose

Or at least, if you want to stay with the overpriced stock pump, you may want to order from Partshark.com as they have it for $185 (p/n 4NK-13907-00-00).

Joe

I would try Rick at Buckeye Performance. I don't know if he has these or not but I would check with him or one of our other supporting vendors. I don't know much about Partshark. I've heard pretty good things about their service but they bothered me a little bit in that they wanted to post their ads and specials here in our forum but were not willing to become an official vendor here by offering our members a discount, donating some prizes to our rally or helping support the club in any way. Sorry, they may be great but I felt that they were trying to use our site for unpaid advertising and that's just not fair to the fine vendors who support us in one way or another. THEY are the ones that I try first to honor with my business.

Thanks for your input Freebird. I called JCW, they sell aftermarket VW fuel pumps but they want you to buy a fuel regulator also. I took Wizards advice. I spent $6 bucks on fuel line & a filter. Removed the pump & away I went. I wish I would have thought of this idea. I may leave this pump off, well at least for now. I rode to work & back, she runs great not missing a beat. Thanks again you guys I appreciate all the input & special thanks to Wizard:guitarist 2::bowdown::Im not listening to

You don't need the fuel regulator, and they will be happy to sell you whatever you want. Your stock fuel pump is only rated at 3 psi, and that is within the spec for that cheap pump. But if you want to spend slightly more, here is another one that would work fine for $46:

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/ItemBrowse/c-10101/s-10101/p-100000213121/mediaCode-ZX/appId-100000213121/Pr-p_CATENTRY_ID:100000213121

I used one of those to solve a vapor-lock problem on an early S-10 Blazer back in the 80s.

Goose

You don't need the fuel regulator, and they will be happy to sell you whatever you want. Your stock fuel pump is only rated at 3 psi, and that is within the spec for that cheap pump. But if you want to spend slightly more, here is another one that would work fine for $46:

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/ItemBrowse/c-10101/s-10101/p-100000213121/mediaCode-ZX/appId-100000213121/Pr-p_CATENTRY_ID:100000213121

I used one of those to solve a vapor-lock problem on an early S-10 Blazer back in the 80s.

Goose

Thanks for the links to the aftermarket pumps Goose.

If I ever have a pump go bad, I know what I'll be buying.....and it won't be a $200 pump!

Joe