IGNORED

New to me 88 VR - Rear Brake Issue

utadventure

I added an '88 VR to the garage this week. The bike came along with a parts bike ('86) and has some parts already gone.

I changed out the lens cover on the instrument panel, changed the right panel and speaker, swapped the CB radio but the neither CLASS units work so it's without air suspension.

Got the bike completely cleaned and changed the fluid in the front brake resevoir and the clutch resevoir (very dirty, ugly). I couldn't get the rear brake to hold up. I could pump it up and bleed the front left and then the rear but after during the test ride I had NO rear brake at all. Resevoir was filled appropriately and both lines bled out fine and I don't find any leaks. I couldn't tell the status of the rear brake pads. If it were yours, what would you do next? What do you check?

I would appreciate your suggestions. Also the throttle doesn't alway snap back on its own.

Dave

When you bled it, did the brake fluid come out of the rear bleeder in a normal volume? It should be identical to the front caliper.

If so, the things I'd check would be the brake pads and then if the caliper cylinders are frozen.

Frank

Hey Dave,

What a nice looking 88'VR you have there. I have always wanted one with those colors. Because I switched to the r1/r6 Calipers on my 87'VR I happen to have a rear stock caliper that has been freshly rebuilt but never installed because of the brake swap. If you are interested, PM me. Price the seal kits and I promise you I will give you a heck of a deal on a perfectly functioning rear caliper.:thumbsup2:

Earl

I got an '86 parts bike also, so I have spare parts to work with but not enough experience on brake systems.

I think I'll get replacement pads first. How is the best way to check if the calipers are working correctly. Take them off the rotor and press the pedal?

When bleeding the brakes, you should do the rear brake first and then the left front and then bleed the portioning assemble that is located at the top of the triple tree. You will need to remove the false tank cover and you should see another bleeder up near the triple tree and you will need to bleed this one with the rear brake pedal. This is the high point for the linked brake system.

You could have other issues but try bleeding them this was and see if it helps with the linked brakes.

Good Luck and enjoy the bike.

Rick F.

Just remove Right muffler, then the two bolts that hold the caliper on, and lift it out.

A bit tight with saddle bag installed, but it can be done.

Most likly it will need new pads , at the least. But sounds like the Pistons might be froze up. Inner pad will be worn at an angle, compared to the outer pad.

After removeing, force the pistons, to full depressed position, then put the pads in, and somthing the thickness of the rotor, then work the pedel,

Carful you don't blow out the pistions.

Make sure you bleed thru ALL the old fluid.

But haveing said all this, most likley you will have to dissassemble and re-build that caliper.

When bleeding the brakes, you should do the rear brake first and then the left front and then bleed the portioning assemble that is located at the top of the triple tree. You will need to remove the false tank cover and you should see another bleeder up near the triple tree and you will need to bleed this one with the rear brake pedal. This is the high point for the linked brake system.

You could have other issues but try bleeding them this was and see if it helps with the linked brakes.

Good Luck and enjoy the bike.

Rick F.

Boy Rick, you nailed it!! I bled a lot of water absorbed brake fluid. I bbled it until it ran clear and then I had rear brakes. Thanks.

Now on to a couple of other issues. Without the CLASS working, add Progressive Springs and maybe heavier fork oil? Also, need to stop the valve cover leak.

I took it for a 30 mile ride tonight. It has plenty of power and rides nice unless you hit a hard joint.

Happy Independence Day

Dave

I just installed the Progressive Springs in the front forks with 10W Fork Oil and am very happy with the ride. I didnt use the plastic preload spaces as I left in the aircaps and the factory metal washer. I have about 500 miles on them so far and am very happy with the ride of the bike. Figured if I didnt like it I could also add them later but as of now I dont expect I will.

Good Luck and enjoy your bike..

Rick F.