IGNORED

'Supersport' motorcyclists have highest death rate

SilvrT

That is an interesting article. I would be curious to see the rates per mile driven too. The touring class is 6.5 deaths per 10,000 riders compared to 5.7 for cruisers. I have 5 bucks that says if you looked at accidents or deaths per 10,000 miles driven, touring bikes would be the lowest. I think we are just more aware of our surroundings because, I think, we ride a lot more.

http://www.personal-injury.com/practice_areas/Motorcycle_Accident_.asp

Your post got me searching for other data. I'm trying to find an answer to my question on my previous reply. I find this article interesting. Some highlights (to me anyway)...

11. Weather is not a factor in 98% of motorcycle accidents.

24. The motorcycle riders involved in accidents are essentially without training; 92% were self-taught or learned from family or friends. Motorcycle rider training experience reduces accident involvement and is related to reduced injuries in the event of accidents.

32. Large displacement motorcycles are underrepresented in accidents but they are associated with higher injury severity when involved in accidents.

34. Motorcycles equipped with fairings and windshields are underrepresented in accidents, most likely because of the contribution to conspicuity and the association with more experienced and trained riders.

Randy in PA

That is an interesting article. I would be curious to see the rates per mile driven too. The touring class is 6.5 deaths per 10,000 riders compared to 5.7 for cruisers. I have 5 bucks that says if you looked at accidents or deaths per 10,000 miles driven, touring bikes would be the lowest. I think we are just more aware of our surroundings because, I think, we ride a lot more.

I agree with that!

I'm wondering specifically what bikes are in "Touring class" and "Cruisers". Improper classification would affect those numbers.

Additionally, there are probably 10 times as many cruisers out there than tourers so that could also "cloud" the true picture. Having said that, something has to be used as a "baseline".

"figgures never lie and liars never figgure"

change the baseline and ya get a whole different picture!

This one caught my attention!

"43. Seventy-three percent of the accident-involved motorcycle riders used no eye protection, and it is likely that the wind on the unprotected eyes contributed in impairment of vision which delayed hazard detection."

unless wearing a full face helmet counts - I can't believe people would ride without some sort of eye protection!!

Either that or their glasses just couldn't be found on the accident scene.....

We've been screaming this for years.

6. In multiple vehicle accidents, the driver of the other vehicle violated the motorcycle right-of-way and caused the accident in two-thirds of those accidents.

That's 66% of the time in car/motorcycle accidents the car driver was at fault!

7. The failure of motorists to detect and recognize motorcycles in traffic is the predominating cause of motorcycle accidents. The driver of the other vehicle involved in collision with the motorcycle did not see the motorcycle before the collision, or did not see the motorcycle until too late to avoid the collision.

The I didn't see him get out of jail free card!

9.The most frequent accident configuration is the motorcycle proceeding straight then the automobile makes a left turn in front of the oncoming motorcycle.

Gee, none us here would have ever guessed this!

How come this isn't blasted across headlines?

I can't believe people would ride without some sort of eye protection!!

Riding with a windshield almost eliminates the necessity for eye protection. When it's night time, I always ride without eyewear. Nothing comes close to my eyes because the windshield and fairing deflect it...with the exception of rain. In that case, I put on clear glasses. Truth is, I rarely ride at night when it's raining. I'm not suggesting; however, that eye protection shouldn't be worn. Riding without a windshield and without eye protection is simply stupid IMHO.

9.The most frequent accident configuration is the motorcycle proceeding straight then the automobile makes a left turn in front of the oncoming motorcycle.

Two things about this that I see...

a) it's more difficult to mentally calculate the distance and speed of an oncoming motorcycle.

b) both drivers (auto's and bikes) need more "awareness" to this. More specifically, the auto driver.

This, of course, isn't counting those "I didn't see the biker". In such situations, I feel the onus is more on me to ensure that the oncoming cager can see me, regardless of whether or not they are making a left turn. If they are, then I make a point to pay close attention to the driver, what they are doing, do they see me?, ... anticipate, anticipate... defensive driving is crucial to survival on a motorcycle.

In our area the government runs a lot of advertizing promoting awareness of pedestrians, school kids and cyclists but absolutely nothing about motorcycle awareness. We have been trying for years to get motorcycles included in the campaign. I often tell people to make a bet with themselves,

on a particular day guess how many motorcycles you will see, then make the effort to count the ones you do see. I guarantee that they will count twice as many as they guessed.

In our area the government runs a lot of advertizing promoting awareness of pedestrians, school kids and cyclists but absolutely nothing about motorcycle awareness. We have been trying for years to get motorcycles included in the campaign. I often tell people to make a bet with themselves,

on a particular day guess how many motorcycles you will see, then make the effort to count the ones you do see. I guarantee that they will count twice as many as they guessed.

I do recall hearing on the radio, in the spring, the announcer talking about drivers being more aware of motorcyclists as well as scooters "now that the nicer weather is here". That, of course, is good but certainly not enough.

I do recall hearing on the radio, in the spring, the announcer talking about drivers being more aware of motorcyclists as well as scooters "now that the nicer weather is here". That, of course, is good but certainly not enough.

On a recent trip from Salt Lake to Havasu Just outside Vegas, I started noticing billboards about Motorcycle Awareness. None in California (very short stretch to cross) But they were allover in Arizona.

DJ

:thumbsup2:

One of the studies I always found interesting is the purple gorilla test. It was published about 4 years or so ago to illustrate one of the reasons people hit motorcyclists. It was also used to justify that greater awareness of motorcycles is the most effective way to cut down on accidents. The general idea of the test was that they took 100 people (I believe this number is accurate but there may have been more or less) and brought them into a lab and had them drive around a neighborhood in a simulator. During their drive there would be sudden obstacles such as a child darting into the street, a car backing out of a driveway or a car door opening in their path. There was also a purple gorilla that walked to the edge of the road. I don't remember exactly how many but it was staggering, about 95%, that never saw the gorilla. They were able to steer around the obstacles but many had to be shown afterwards that the gorilla was not a joke but actually there during their test. Supposedly motorcyclists represent the purple gorilla to many motorists because they do not notice what they don't expect to see while driving. That is why they said education of the common motorists about motorcycles would be the most effective way to cut down on wrecks. If they expect to see you they are more apt to see you.

One of the studies I always found interesting is the purple gorilla test. It was published about 4 years or so ago to illustrate one of the reasons people hit motorcyclists. It was also used to justify that greater awareness of motorcycles is the most effective way to cut down on accidents. The general idea of the test was that they took 100 people (I believe this number is accurate but there may have been more or less) and brought them into a lab and had them drive around a neighborhood in a simulator. During their drive there would be sudden obstacles such as a child darting into the street, a car backing out of a driveway or a car door opening in their path. There was also a purple gorilla that walked to the edge of the road. I don't remember exactly how many but it was staggering, about 95%, that never saw the gorilla. They were able to steer around the obstacles but many had to be shown afterwards that the gorilla was not a joke but actually there during their test. Supposedly motorcyclists represent the purple gorilla to many motorists because they do not notice what they don't expect to see while driving. That is why they said education of the common motorists about motorcycles would be the most effective way to cut down on wrecks. If they expect to see you they are more apt to see you.

With all the darn environ"mental" nut jobs out there in the news media and false global warming scare you think they would be pushing huge ad campaigns not only on motorcycle awareness, but also encouraging everyone to buy a motorcycle or scooter to save the planet.

Riding with a windshield almost eliminates the necessity for eye protection. When it's night time, I always ride without eyewear. Nothing comes close to my eyes because the windshield and fairing deflect it...with the exception of rain. In that case, I put on clear glasses. Truth is, I rarely ride at night when it's raining. I'm not suggesting; however, that eye protection shouldn't be worn. Riding without a windshield and without eye protection is simply stupid IMHO.

But claiming the windshield is your eye protection is not only foolish, but illegal in many states. Maybe even all states. I know MN requires eye protection even though helmets are optional. From the MN motorcycle handbook.

Protective Eyewear

Motorcyclists are required to wear protective eyewear, such as glasses, goggles or a face shield, even if the motorcycle is equipped with a windscreen. Contact lenses do not qualify as protective eyewear.

My guess is most states have pretty much the same law.

"The bikes are built on racing platforms and then modified for the highway before being sold to consumers.

They boast a light weight, powerful engine and are meant to be all about speed. IIHS says the bike is especially popular among riders younger than 30. "

This from the first article - the accident rate is not the product of the bike per se but the mentality, hormone level and experience of the rider.

"24. The motorcycle riders involved in accidents are essentially without training; 92% were self-taught or learned from family or friends. Motorcycle rider training experience reduces accident involvement and is related to reduced injuries in the event of accidents. "

This reflects the benefit of proper training, of course, but I think it again is more of a reflection on the mentality particular riders who TAKE the training. Those who do are more concerned about safety in the first place and would be more safe even without the training.

"1. Approximately three-fourths of these motorcycle accidents involved collision with another vehicle, which was most often a passenger automobile.

6. In multiple vehicle accidents, the driver of the other vehicle violated the motorcycle right-of-way and caused the accident in two-thirds of those accidents."

That conflicts with a stat I heard before which said that over half of bike accidents are single-vehicle and are simply related to the rider failing to control the bike. I wonder if this reflects some bias from the "personal injury" (lawsuits-R-us) website. We just have to be super-aware of our surroundings, from potential "puller-outers" to rocks in the road, etc. When I see a car that could pull out, I like to keep one eye on the front wheel. It's easier to detect the wheel turning than the car moving, if that makes sense.

I too have ridden without glasses or visor at night, but I've also had stuff bounce off my forehead even behind the Venture's big windshield. I need to change my night habits in that regard and get some clear glasses.

"41. Groin injuries were sustained by the motorcyclist in at least 13% of the accidents,"

:shock3:!!!!!!

Jeremy

But claiming the windshield is your eye protection is not only foolish,

You're right, of course...but it's better than nothing at all.

My guess is most states have pretty much the same law.

This being Canada, I really don't know if there is a specific law and if there is, is it federal or provincial? Any Canucks out there have info on this?

• 7 months later...

Great article, just soooo many things to think about.

IMO, the best way to avoid trouble at an intersection, do NOT tailgate a car. The oncoming/left-turning traffic will not see you until it's too late.

Also, something I've been doing that I think/feel helps at intersections or when approaching a car that's waiting to pull out onto the road:

-Weave a bit. I simply weave a bit to give the bike more dimension and visibility, hopefully increasing the apparent distance/depth of my bike.

Semper Fi,

Erich

Guest divey

.......and while we're at it, this afternoon in Edmonton another cager made a left turn in front of a sport bike, killing the driver. Witnesses report the bike travelling at excessive speed just prior to the collision and his helmet bouncing down the roadway after the impact. Wonder how many helmets actually come off/break apart upon impact? Sounds as though the cager driver may have been elderly, reaction time, awareness of surroundings????

The circumstances are typical however. Too fast and not enough attention to other traffic on the road. You have to ride as if every vehicle is going to turn left in front of you.

Be safe..............

gee guys, how come we are always on the subject of motorcycle accidents and deaths. kind of ruins the fun of riding. we don't talk about getting killed in our cars. i got better things to do on my bike then worrying about getting killed on it. have fun on them bikes and drive safely. thats what i do and think about the enjoyment of owning and riding a bike. it's alot more fun riding one if your not thinking about dying all the time. if ya think about the up side of things it makes life alot more fun. :depressed::2133:

Geez Bill, I couldn't have said it better.

When I was a kid, I had the fastest bike on the road, and LOVED it! Why would we expect the kids today to be any different.

The only thing that bugs me is that I DON'T HAVE ONE!

Enough of this stuff.

Ride on,

Steve

Guest Vermincelli

It's very true. I've argued this for ages. People, including bikers when driving cars, are accustomed to seeing things subconsciously. Cars, trucks etc. that are common are recognized on the subconscious level. Bikes aren't. They take longer for the conscious part to make the identification.

Ever have a situation where you are looking right at the driver of a car at an intersection and they still don't see you?

The other problem with bikes is it's harder to quickly calculate distance/speed. Cars have more width that makes it easier for a person to subconsciously make the calculations about how fast it's going and how far away it is (although even at high speeds that's tossed out the window) whereas a bike is much harder to judge due to it's smaller size. This is even more exaggerated at night when people use the dual headlights of a car/truck to make that estimation whereas a bike's single light doesn't give that info til it's right on you.

Add in sun and a bike's smaller width makes it literally disappear if the sun is behind you.

As a biker, we have to take more responsibility while riding when we are in traffic by realizing this and taking a more defensive (offensive at times) approach. If you see a car coming at you, you have to assume it's going to turn, especially if there's a street/driveway to the right. The majority of the accidents that involve the left turning vehicle can be avoided if riders work on this thought process.

Reason I get on this kick is because as a state trooper, I had to sit in court twice for bike/car crashes. Both times the same lawyer presented his argument as I stated above complete with video of a car and then a bike coming at the camera, then presented the forensic evidence of the crash that demonstrated the biker in both instances failed to slow down before the car made it's turn and effectively argued that the bikers were not paying attention as well as the drivers.

Guest Vermincelli

I'm not trying to take blame away from drivers, but I am saying that as a motorcyclist, we do have responsibility as well to be aware of the surroundings, plan for the unexpected and always make the assumption that you are invisible to everyone around you.

Geez Bill, I couldn't have said it better.

When I was a kid, I had the fastest bike on the road, and LOVED it! Why would we expect the kids today to be any different.

The only thing that bugs me is that I DON'T HAVE ONE!

Enough of this stuff.

Ride on,

Steve

hey steve, i guess i'm still just a kid. still have the fastest bike on the road. not going to succumb to old age till i have to. if i ever have to go to an old folks home , i'll have the fastest electric scooter in town. got this neat idea for a 3 wheel drive triple motor 440 volt scooter. bill :cool10::2133:

Well, that moonwalking bear is pretty cool. I didn't even see him the second time, when I was looking. I had to watch it a third time. But with all the mahem going on, he just looks like another player in black.

"One of the studies I always found interesting is the purple gorilla test. It was published about 4 years or so ago to illustrate one of the reasons people hit motorcyclists. It was also used to justify that greater awareness of motorcycles is the most effective way to cut down on accidents....That is why they said education of the common motorists about motorcycles would be the most effective way to cut down on wrecks. If they expect to see you they are more apt to see you."

Ya know, I agree with the concept, but I don't think education will do it. I've been in a number of driving classes (speeding habit) and they always talk about bikes. It's not education that forms the impression but experience. Thus, it comes back to the point that we gotta be careful and drive defensively, and even then, sometimes stuff happens.

Jeremy