IGNORED

RSTD Flanders How To w/new stock end weight idea

Do any of your that have replaced your rstd bars with the flanders bars still have the stock ones. I would be interested in them. According to the meausrements of the rstd and the rsv, they are 2" taller and have about 2.5" more pullback from the rsv.

Please reach out to me.

Robert "theKid"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sent you a PM Robert...... Bruce

Thank you very much.:thumbsup2: I just did a write up with pictures for rear brakes, like you, I have a new respect for those who do this with the pictures and all. Tough and time consuming, thanks to all for the help. I am going to have to have bars or something, my bars are to far away from me. I am reaching to the middle of my fingers to feel relaxed. If I need the full grip on bars, I have to lean forward.

Fuzzy

After installing my new Flanders handlebars on my RSTD, with the assistance of the great write up (with pictures) by “Usnmustang”, I proceeded with the next step, installing the end weights.

Not having the materials “Usnmustang” described in his article, I searched and found an idea by “Phoneman1981”.

After a few emails back and forth I modified his design a little and came up with the following article posted below.

Once again, a big Thank You to both, Usnmustang and Phoneman1981 for the time, effort and write up which made the handlebar change an enjoyable project.

============= ============

Modifying “Phoneman1981” design, I used a 1 ¼” long piece of ¾” Grey PVC conduit instead of the many washers required to take up said space. I felt this would insure a more rigid installation of end weights. (A longer piece of PVC could be used if desired.)

I did have to do a little sanding in order to get the conduit to fit inside the handlebars and in the end it was a tight fit.

Parts used where:

(2) ¼” - 20 x 6” long bolts. (5” would work, but I had 6” on hand)

(2) ¼” – 20 T-nuts

(2) ¾” rubber stoppers

(4) ¾” washers

(1) 2 ½” long section of ¾” PVC conduit

Sandpaper (to sand PVC conduit)

Parts can be purchased at Home Depot or Lowes for around $10.00 or less.

If I was to do it again I would probably use 1” rubber stoppers and cut them down (end off) in order to have a tad tighter fit.

I pulled hard on the end weights and couldn’t get them to move, so I feel pretty sure they will be there for years to come.

I am going to disassemble the project and reinstall using loctite on the treads, so you might want to do that the first time around.

picture.php?albumid=809&pictureid=5444

picture.php?albumid=809&pictureid=5445

Just another idea to consider.....enjoy.

Thanks Bruce: Glad I could help....Phoneman1981

• 2 months later...

That was a great write up, very helpful. I just put the new bars on my 08 Royal Star. The biggest problem I had was getting air in my clutch line. I had to bleed the line. I had a friend from work turn down a solid round shaft to fit inside of the bar. He put threads in it for the bolt to attach the end weights. He also drilled a small hole in the handle bar to weld the new piece in place. This worked great. If anyone else is going to put these bars on their bike I had 2 extra inserts already made. Ted :322:

• 3 years later...

usnmustang, phoneman, and primebeef,

I want to thank you all for your posting on how to install, bars and end weights.

I put the flanders bars on last week and the bar end weights today.

Haven't taken it out on the road yet. Still lots of sand and salt here, but the next week should take care of all of that. They really feel great just sitting on it.

BTW mine is an 05 RSTD

Ok, so yesterday took it out for a couple hour ride and I like the bars but they will take a little getting used to. They definitely put you back in the seat. The pull back if very noticeable but I thi001 (Medium).jpgnk that I might just raise the bars up a couple of inches. The middle of the bar end weights are 36 1/2" from the ground. I wish I could remember what my stock bars were. Anyone's measurements would be appreciated, either stock or Flanders.

One other thing, my throttle doesn't go back to dead idle. Seems to stick a little, so I'm not sure where to look to solve this issue. Not a big deal but not quite right either.

Edited by eagleeye
added info

You seem to be missing the spacer.[ATTACH=CONFIG]98554[/ATTACH]

Thanks for looking out for me, but I have grip puppies on and they just cover up that spacer.

It turns with the throttle so doesn't matter. After time they tend to slip down, so I just put them on a little farther.

• 7 years later...

I just installed a set of the Flanders Bars on my RSTD and read these suggestions for how to add the stock bar end weights.  I did some experimenting and came up with this solution which seems to hold really well.  Replaced the stock bolts with 5" 1/4 by 20 and 70207195024__08A54989-0316-4CB5-97EF-B9C3B4EC38DC.HEICused a short section of heater hose I had laying around which measured 13/16th OD and a Tee-nut.

Really liking the feel of these bars and did a quick 15 mile trip just to get the feel.  Wasn't dressed right for the 37*F and wind we had yesterday.  Got home and put the cover on it as we are going to get hit with the white stuff again today.

Hope someone finds this helpful.

IMG_0788.HEIC IMG_0789.HEIC IMG_0791.HEIC