IGNORED

The taking of Yammer Dans bike ... Metric Thunder in WV

Guest HdHtr

Guest HdHtr

OK, this is what I got roped into Saturday at the Skid-in. First I made the mistake of going with Jeff and Dan to a parts place about 50 miles away … not that there was anything wrong with that … it was just that we were taking Jeff’s cage and given Dan’s infirmity and all, we started out with Dan sitting in the front seat, I got the back … Jeff’s cage was built for vertically challenged people with inseams of … oh, say around 15 inches!!! So here I was, I managed to wedge my 5 foot 17 inch, 200 lb frame in the back of Jeff’s cage, my feet jammed against the side window, my head bent under the back window. This was not a pleasure ride … So, off we went.

We got back with the Saab part, were not successful in getting it running and that created another unfortunate circumstance for me. Bob and Earl had showed up in the mean time. Finally it was decided that we should all head back to Skids. I noticed everyone was over at Dan’s 85 VR looking at it. For reasons unknown I was asked to ride it back to Skids, it appeared to have been sitting in place for sometime BUT … faced with riding the 85 or jamming myself in the back of Jeff’s cage, this time along with Dan or the Warden back there … I immediately asked “does it run”???

Dan fired it up. The roar was deafening … it appeared to have exhaust leaking from places no VR should vent exhaust from and it was obvious that 100 mile an hour tape would not be a temporary solution. There was a very large hole apparent in the middle of the collector. In the mean while Dan blipped the throttle and the thing roared like a lion with it’s tail caught in a door … my teeth were shaking and my eyeballs bounced around in their sockets. I noted the trees shaking around us and the windows of his neighbors house some distance away flexing in and out … Dan shut it down and the silence was … well deafening! I noted the gutter drain on a corner of the afore mentioned house fall off. I looked at Jeff’s cage, looked at Dan’s 85 and said … “got a helmet??”.

Fortified with a diet coke, a helmet one size to big to really fit my head … and everyone heading for their respective transportation resources, I straddled the thing, turned the key and hit the ignition. Over the roar of the bike I asked Dan if the brakes worked … I think he said yes and then something about bleeding, pads, use to … but he was heading away towards Jeff’s cage. I noticed one of his neighbors next door had fallen to his knees, hands up to his ears and eyes shut, mouth wide open … huh, guess it really was loud. Sitting right on top of this 85 it didn’t seem so loud … I later realized that was because I had gone deaf.

Jeff pulled out in the lead with Bob then Earl following down the narrow one lane road Dan lives on … I took a deep gulp, said a small prayer (or did I take a small gulp and say a big prayer?) pulled in the clutch and popped it into gear. Feathering the clutch and riding the rear brake I rev’ed ‘er up and pulled out of the impressions in the ground the 85 VR had apparently settled into over time …

With the bars slapping the tank and the rear end wiggling like a fat lady hustling towards the buffet line in those too tight polyester pedalpushers they seem to find somewhere … the 85 bellowing like the beanstalk giant in protest of being wakened from his sleep and me screaming like a frightened little girl … away we went. I noticed two squirrels fall from a nearby quaking tree …

It appeared that Jeff, Bob and Earl were trying to keep a considerable distance from me as I attempted to keep the rubber side down … probably the noise yah think?

As I navigated out onto the lane and got 15/20 mph on it I realized I should of checked the tire pressure and that would of helped considerably with the tank slap. But like the thoroughbred it was, the 85 settled down after a few miles and with warmed up tires only wallowed a bit when heeled over. I corrected this by not heeling over!!

Heading down the lane, windows of houses along the way flexing, trees shaking, people running for cover, I got used to the bike. So there we were … ambling down this little, narrow lane that goes UP and down, blind corners and crests. Passed this quaint little church … the 85 producing it’s bellowing note and I swear the sound waves got the bell in the belfry a gonging … anyway, I could hear bells but might have been something internal. Anywho, by the time we were on the main road I felt that I could probably get to Skids on this 85 rather than in an ambulance … I saw a lot of friendly folks along the way to Skids, strange way they have of waving up here though … almost thought they were shaking a fist at me while trying to plug their ears … figured it was some local gesture of friendship …

Hit 70 mph up on the freeway, 4th and 5th gears slipping like crazy under acceleration. Jeff and Earl had shot off for parts unknown but Bob hung back with me … quite a distance behind me now that I think of it.

We finally made it to Skids, I pulled into his drive and pointed Ugly towards the garage opening and bounced over the threshold of the garage and stood on the brakes and got him stopped. I think that is when I finally started to breath again …

Actually Dan that is quite a little 85 VR you got there, does need some TLC but it actually is a rather fetching beast that I believe I have melded with … if you get tired of it … let me know!!

And that’s how Dan’s bike got to Skids!

Ok first of all the car is mine, and it's not for vertically challenged folks it's a mustang. Meant for speed you know. I totally agree on that lovely supposed road to Dan's more like a crazy driveway. Glad you made it back to skids in one piece though. Guess that's why I saw so many squirrels dead on the road. Musta got run over after they fell out of the trees.:crackup::crackup:

Margaret

Steve,

That has to be one of the best written short stories I have read in a long, long time! It had me laughing like crazy here at work. After passing the link around to a couple of the surveillance operators they were impressed with the story as well. You are an awesome story teller for sure! I wish we did gatherings, eat and meets, and stuff like that around here more often!

:bowdown:

Guest HdHtr
Ok first of all the car is mine, and it's not for vertically challenged folks it's a mustang. Meant for speed you know. I totally agree on that lovely supposed road to Dan's more like a crazy driveway. Glad you made it back to skids in one piece though. Guess that's why I saw so many squirrels dead on the road. Musta got run over after they fell out of the trees.:crackup::crackup:Margaret

Jeeze ... sorry Margaret ... loved that car ... simply loved it ... matter of fact may just go out and buy one.

Guest HdHtr
Sleeperhawk is still rolling on the floor with laughter! :rotf::rotf::rotf:Great story' date=' loved it!:thumbsup2:[/color']

Great seeing you again too!:bighug:

It is always great to see you guys and as always, great pictures!!

Guest HdHtr
I been driving that road for years.. Now I'm scared to go out!!

Ahh, you might wanna be careful out there Dan after you quiet that nice little 85 of yours ... the neighbors might recognize Ugly even it they don't hear him coming ...

Jeeze ... sorry Margaret ... loved that car ... simply loved it ... matter of fact may just go out and buy one.

I know where ya can get one what color do you want?:crackup::crackup::crackup::crackup:

Hey Skid I think you should ride it put your blue lights on it too. That'd scare the neighbors.

Margaret

Great write up hdhtr. Now I know why no one was wanting to work on it. Dan kept telling me someone was supposed to do some tune up work but as the day got longer and longer it still sat quitely waiting it's turn.

Sorry to say I never did hear it running before we headed back to the hotel. Probably a good thing for me as I already have enough of a hearing loss. Maybe just as well since it's squirel killer too.

You know Dan them guys getting that bike to Skids may be the Wardens doing you think? Doing what she needs to do to keep you grounded till that leg is healed you know. No where near as temping to wrench or heaven forbid ride it till you're healed good and proper.

Larry

You know Dan them guys getting that bike to Skids may be the Wardens doing you think? Doing what she needs to do to keep you grounded till that leg is healed you know. No where near as temping to wrench or heaven forbid ride it till you're healed good and proper.

Larry

But he has others, to tinker with as well. :stirthepot:

Well, PETA is probably after you now. Birds and other critters droppin from the sky

Some women I know want your head... Jude said something about

"He's gonna be pushin up the pedals".:rotf:

The USAF is trying to figure out what left the sound print in WV in the middle of the day and nothing flyin. :whistling:

That's a sight that had to be a case of Double Ugly....:rotf:

Guest HdHtr
Well, PETA is probably after you now. Birds and other critters droppin from the sky

Some women I know want your head... Jude said something about

"He's gonna be pushin up the pedals".:rotf:

The USAF is trying to figure out what left the sound print in WV in the middle of the day and nothing flyin. :whistling:

That's a sight that had to be a case of Double Ugly....:rotf:

Wada ya mean Double Ugly?? I thought I looked good ... sorta.

Guest HdHtr
Steve,

That has to be one of the best written short stories I have read in a long, long time! It had me laughing like crazy here at work. After passing the link around to a couple of the surveillance operators they were impressed with the story as well. You are an awesome story teller for sure! I wish we did gatherings, eat and meets, and stuff like that around here more often!:bowdown:

Just set a time, a date and people will come ...