IGNORED

Immediate observations of my first day Electra Glide v. Royal Star

This is what it gives in the specs on RSTD and RSV both on Starmotorcycle.com

5-speed, wide-ratio w/5th-gear overdrive; hydraulic clutch

Here's what the Starmotorcycle.com says about my RSTD for 2008 under the Features tab.

Wide-ratio five-speed transmission with 4th and 5th gear overdrive provides plenty of highway passing power as well as low-rpm, fuel-efficient cruising.

http://www.starmotorcycles.com/star/products/modelfeatures/413/1/features.aspx

I thought the RSTD and RSV were the same until I saw that. Could be a misprint, it wouldn't be the first time. :detective:

If you go to the STAR web site you can find the owners manuals for both the Venture and the Tour Deluxe, if you look at the specifications page you will see all of the gear ratios listed. The Venture and the Tour Deluxe have the same ratios for 4th and 5th.

4th = 24/25 or 0.960, 5th = 22/28 or 0.786, technically any ratio that is less than 1 is an overdrive, so both 4th and 5th are overdrive gears, albeit 4th is just barely.

Edited by M61A1MECH
spelling correction

I had a lot of fun on that Harley, but the attitude thing did get a little old.

The real reason I traded over to the RSTD was the money and the power. I like wrenching some, but the cost of keeping the Harley healthy and sharp was too high, even with me doing most of the work. Basically, to ride a Harley I have to pay double and work double - or more. At this point I am getting long in the tooth and I just want to ride. It had 65K on it, so it was starting to get too needy.

So my mileage is normal. Good. The throttle grip was a little sloppy. It slid side to side in my hand a little so I put a rubber band in the lower groove before the end cap and that tightned it up fine.

Put highway pegs on but they need adjustment. Hard to find the right place for them.

The mirrors are way out there to the sides. That takes getting used to.

So why did they use carbs on this bike? That is so old school isn't it? They work fine, but getting used to turning that fuel switch on and off takes time.

I think I am going to put some louder pipes on it. I have some stock Road King pipes from a 2006 and I will try them first. If they are not louder I will try some cheap slip ons from Vtwin that I had on my Electra Glide. They are about mid-loud so they may be nice. They are only $225 and my local guy stocks them.

I need the muffler adapter brackets so if anyone has some for sale let me know.

Well, it's day three and I am up to about 550 miles. Time to go ride it again!

On your fuel mileage...With my large clearview windshield I'm around 37 mpg and with my shortened 4" stock windshield I'm around 40 mpg...06 RSTD. The only backrest I found for the stock seat was Utopia, I also found the comfort-cruise seat really comfortable from yamaha, which the Utopia backrest works with also. I tried the mustang seat and to me it was to shallow and wide at the tank.

I average around 42mpg solo weekly commuting.

2-up, it really doesn't change much (usually goes up a little cause I don't ride as hard).

So, now you have the 500 mile break-in huh? - PUNCH IT and see what you really think.

Hold it to the rev-limiter. Just watch out for 3rd. I have yet to hit the limiter in 3rd (and don't know that I have any need to).

Mentioned to someone else - watch the back brakes. The inside wears faster than the outside. I am getting between 8 and 12k on them.

I had Michelin Commander tires and loved them but, switched to a Dunlop E3 on the back and it is even better. Putting one on the front soon.

Guest tx2sturgis

The real reason I traded over to the RSTD was the money and the power. I like wrenching some, but the cost of keeping the Harley healthy and sharp was too high, even with me doing most of the work. Basically, to ride a Harley I have to pay double and work double - or more. At this point I am getting long in the tooth and I just want to ride. It had 65K on it, so it was starting to get too needy.

I also have been riding Harleys for years, but I kept my old ElectraGlide...with about 75,000 miles on it, its also a bit 'needy'....

Put highway pegs on but they need adjustment. Hard to find the right place for them.

Try mounting them just above the bottom curve of the engine guard. That way, you can rest the heel of your boot on the footboard, and rest the ball of your foot on the highway peg. It works well for me.

The mirrors are way out there to the sides. That takes getting used to.

Yeah, you can actually see something besides your own shoulders! Sure, you can get extenders...but they looked kinda funky.

So why did they use carbs on this bike? That is so old school isn't it? They work fine, but getting used to turning that fuel switch on and off takes time.

The bike may seem new and shiny, but actually its got an engine that was designed decades ago. It aint broke, so they dont fix it. Personally, having dealt with the Harley FI problems, I like the carbs. And mine work fine all the way up to 10,000 feet elevation. Actually, the bike gets GOOD fuel mileage in the mountains.

I think I am going to put some louder pipes on it. I have some stock Road King pipes from a 2006 and I will try them first. If they are not louder I will try some cheap slip ons from Vtwin that I had on my Electra Glide. They are about mid-loud so they may be nice. They are only $225 and my local guy stocks them.

Lots of members here do this, thinking that Harley mufflers are the same on both sides, and that all year models are the same. Nope. There are diffences in stock left and right mufflers, and differences from year to year.

The best option is to buy aftermarket pipes made for the bike. Next best is to drill out the stock pipes. Next best from there is to try to find some aftermarket RK or FL pipes that are the same on both sides. Last and worst option is, stock Harley pipes. Many may disagree, but since you cant easily tell by looking sometimes, you may end up with stock Harley pipes that flow differing amounts of air between the left and right sides. Not so good, and it will throw your carbs out of synch.

I have a set of BUBS Sleepers on mine, and they sound pretty good, not too loud, with a mellow rumble around town.

You look happy on the new scoot. Enjoy!

Edited by tx2sturgis

Thanks for the great feedback - everyone.

I am worried about uneven flow with using Road King slip on mufflers. But I think that may not be a problem as the ones I have are from 2003 and they are partially drilled out. I will definitely check to see if there is any problem with uneven flow before leaving them on for long. I have a set of cheapo Vtwin slip ons I can get for about $230 at my local store and I may try them once I get the money.

Does anyone know if I will need to re-jet the carbs with medium flow slip ons?

But for now it is life on the cheap until I recover from all the bucks I have spent on the bike, seat. luggage rack, smooth end muffler clamps, muffler adapter brackets, highway pegs, oil filters and such.

And to think this was my idea of how to save money! :think:

• 2 months later...

Service manager told me that all you accomplished by turning the fuel switch on and off was that you would wear out the seals in the switch. In 3000 miles, I've never turned it off and don't see any signs of leaks. How many turn the switch off?

Mine is set on reserve and I never move it...good or bad, I couldn't say.

I know alot of guys say run it through the gears. Me personally, I found that if I shift at the recommended shift points, 15, 25, 35, 45, I get the best fuel mileage at 40 mpgs compared to 36 mpg if I whine it up thru the gears. Which I don't consider is lugging it. Don't get me wrong, I won't pull a hill in 5th under 55 mph.

Just a quick question guys. Why do the inside rear pads wear faster than the outside rear? I had the right bag of my 2009 RSV the other day and noticed this. The bike is 3 months old with a little over 8,000 miles on it! Is the a common wear factor?:grandpa:

Just a quick question guys. Why do the inside rear pads wear faster than the outside rear? I had the right bag of my 2009 RSV the other day and noticed this. The bike is 3 months old with a little over 8,000 miles on it! Is the a common wear factor?:grandpa:

my theory is because it is the only one that moves.the outer brake pad is set, and the inner does all the traveling.

might not be correct, but it sounds good to me!

lol

just jt

I was once a Harley guy. Had it about two years and was stolen. Can't say how the new ones are. I still think that they are way over priced. Been on both sides of the fence. "Over all" I'll take the RSV, I now have almost 100,000 miles on this bike. The Yamaha and Honda folks are so much friendlier and nicer and fun to be with and I rally like how they respect all bikes :7_2_104[1]:

On the RS engine the max torque is around 4700rpms, max HP is at 6000rpms, but the rev limiter stops the engine at 5600rpms. The original version of this engine was the 1200cc in the V-max which had a redline of 8300rpms. Even if you managed to rev the engine 2000rpms past the rev limiter you wouldn't hurt the engine.

:Avatars_Gee_George:OK, here's a crazy question from a Crazy Frog. Since the inside rear pad wears faster than the outside, has anyone ever tried swapping the rear pads around so that both will wear out at or near the same time??? Could it be a problem getting them to reseat????????