IGNORED

Paired off with a Porsche today

Venturous Randy

While out today, I encountered a fairly new 911 type convertible Porsche moving thru some traffic in front of me on the split four lane. He went around some slow traffic coming out of a red light and nailed it a bit. I followed him with him having a run on me for a couple of seconds and then we quit accelerating at about 65 in a 55mph speed limit. I ended up pairing off with him at the next light, about 3/4 a mile later, and was curious as to what he would do. As we sat waiting for the light to change, I did a quick 360º view so see what was around. When the light changed, we both nailed it. From zero to 70mph we stayed exactly side by side, even through my shift from 1st to 2nd. At 70mph, with me topping out in 2nd at 8,000 rpm's, we both decided that was as fast as we wanted to go and slowed back down to about 60mph.

I looked over at him and he gave me a big smile and a thumbs up. I have done a few red light runs over the years and may make a run up to maybe a little over the speed limit, but I just don't do the runs much over the speed limit now, getting too old.

I really wanted to tell him that he was just matched by a 26 year old bike with 123,000 miles on it, and the guy riding it was a Great Grand Father, but I didn't.

That was the strongest stock looking street car I have paired off with in a long time. I did not look to see if it was a turbo, but it was quick.

RandyA

Wasn't a Saab 900 Turbo!!!

I don't really know. The Saab is really strong on low end but so is the Venture!! The old Saabs I had 85 & 86 were really strong on low end. I really don't know which was the fastest. they were both 1st Gens. The newer Saabs are not as strong as the older ones. Kind of like the............:stirthepot:

I don't really know. The Saab is really strong on low end but so is the Venture!! The old Saabs I had 85 & 86 were really strong on low end. I really don't know which was the fastest. they were both 1st Gens. The newer Saabs are not as strong as the older ones. Kind of like the............:stirthepot:

C'mon, don't be ridiculous - the only thing a Saab is good for is carrying a refrigerator! I know that 'cause their own commercials focused on it; therefore, it MUST be true!

Goose

I paired up with that Saab before, it wasn't much problem....:cool10:

you ain't had no fun till you blow these people off with a majesty 400 scooter. i do it all the time. i probably race 2 or three cars every time i ride. neat thing is no one else knows your racing. i don't pick on the porches., not unless i got the big guns with me. :2133:

• 9 months later...

one of the best races I ever did see was a vega vs. suzuki gs1100 turbo. The vega one, not by much but you dont need much to win. The vega was a midengine 396 built to the max. This happened down in jackson, TN way back in the day. The suzuki was built a little to and the turbo was an add on.

one of the best races I ever did see was a vega vs. suzuki gs1100 turbo. The vega one, not by much but you dont need much to win. The vega was a midengine 396 built to the max. This happened down in jackson, TN way back in the day. The suzuki was built a little to and the turbo was an add on.

Wow, I bet that was a thrill ride!

RandyA

I have a 2002 Por. Boxster "S" and it's fast.... BUT MY 1992 GMC TYPHOON IS FASTER ! Untill you hit 70 mph, then the Boxster just keep going............ 172 mph.... never got there .

I have not tried to race anyone with my bike.

Cb

I paired up with that Saab before, it wasn't much problem....:cool10:

"Saab" owners wanna call em' "Swedish Flyers" ........Me thinks....."Swedish Cryers"...(SOB)!

Renne........Proud new owner of a 351 Ford powered Seabring Healey...YA!:dancefool:

I have a 2002 Por. Boxster "S" and it's fast.... BUT MY 1992 GMC TYPHOON IS FASTER ! Untill you hit 70 mph, then the Boxster just keep going............ 172 mph.... never got there .

Cb

Talk about a sleeper, the Typhoon was the pick up truck answer the Buick Grand National and extremely quick. They had so much power for the weight, they had to be 4 wheel drive. I would love to ride in one. They were a very rare vehicle. :thumbsup2:

RandyA

Cb

There's a nice one for sale on eBay. I had no idea how fast these were until your post, wow.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GMC-Typhoon-1992-GMC-Typhoon-black-turbo-AWD_W0QQitemZ150434108107QQcategoryZ6248QQcmdZViewItem

Just to throw my 2 cents in I went for a ride a couple of weeks ago with one of my sons friends in an SRT4 Dodge Neon. Now I have to be honest, when he asked if I wanted to go for a ride I was thinking ( Why would I want to, it's a little four cylinder) Man let me tell you it is amazing what kind of speed they can get out of those little engines! I have an old Plymouth Duster with the old school stuff, four speed , 360 small block good cam and heads, posi rear, and there is no way I could handle that little neon! Plus he still gets about 26 mpg compared to my 8 mpg!

Talk about a sleeper, the Typhoon was the pick up truck answer the Buick Grand National and extremely quick. They had so much power for the weight, they had to be 4 wheel drive. I would love to ride in one. They were a very rare vehicle. :thumbsup2:

RandyA

and I saw one destroyed for the Cash for clunkers trade in. It was in good shape too.

I get my kicks with the kids around here riding the smaller cheap "Ninjas". Sorry but your 250cc sportbike is no match at all for my geezer glide. Lots of fun.

Just to throw my 2 cents in I went for a ride a couple of weeks ago with one of my sons friends in an SRT4 Dodge Neon. Now I have to be honest, when he asked if I wanted to go for a ride I was thinking ( Why would I want to, it's a little four cylinder) Man let me tell you it is amazing what kind of speed they can get out of those little engines! I have an old Plymouth Duster with the old school stuff, four speed , 360 small block good cam and heads, posi rear, and there is no way I could handle that little neon! Plus he still gets about 26 mpg compared to my 8 mpg!

heh ... but who would want a Neon 20 or 30 years from now? Heck, who would want one now?? :rotf::witch_brew:

Now that Duster .... that's a kewl car! :thumbsup2:

I have had my Typhoon for 15 years. I have stop-light raced many cars and saw their faces when a Chevy S-10 Blazer blew them away. Those that know what a Typhoon is don't even wamt to try and race. I have 120,000 miles on mine and got my first oil leak this winter. It has been a very good ride for all those years and miles.

Cb

in 1974 they avertised the volkswagen rabbit would out-ran a vette from 0-60, i had a mazda rx-3 wagon with the rotory engine in it and i blew several rabbits away from the get-go, never could keep up. the rx had a four barrel carb on it and it'd run over 140 mph top-end. back in 1974 when they first came out with pistrol type radar, Al trooper lockme at 97.5 but said i was running over 100 when i first hit it, i had just dusted an olds 442 w-30 hurst and was running over 140 a few miles back. remember them!!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHUjKAV0OsU]YouTube- 1971 Oldsmobile 442 W30 Convertible[/ame]

an SRT4 Dodge Neon. Now I have to be honest, when he asked if I wanted to go for a ride I was thinking ( Why would I want to, it's a little four cylinder) Man let me tell you it is amazing what kind of speed they can get out of those little engines!

A buddy had a 87 Dodge Omni GLH and that little four banger moved along pretty good for a square box.

Brad