IGNORED

I finally went down

Schlepporello

I'd been hoping I could make it at least one year before I fell over on my bike. Now I'm not talking about wrecking or having to lay it over (which I haven't yet done), I'm talking about falling over while being stopped. Well, I finally fell over yesterday with just one month to go before I had my bike for a year. And unfortunately, there were witnesses.

A young friend of mine who had been a trumpet player in our church orchestra found out that I had a bike. He has two and he was in town last week so he felt we needed to go for a ride. I invited our minister of music and a couple from my Sunday School class to come along, they agreed. We were to ride from Amarillo to Palo Duro Canyon and back. Not a long ride by any means, but it sure is scenic and for me, a lot of fun. We were to meet at the Hollywood Cinema at I-27 and Hollywood, then ride east to Washington St. and south to the turn off for the canyon, picking up our minister of music along the way (he was waiting at the convenience store on the old Claude highway turn off). The decision was made by the masses that I lead the group, so after I jump-started a fellow riders shiney gold wing with my crappy old 84 VR, we headed out. We made it just past the canyon turn off when we had to stop. Our minister of music's Harley had the top steering column nut trying to rotate itself off. Luckily we had a set of sockets, so with a few quick turns we were back on the road. We went on down in the canyon and ran the entire route through the canyon. We stopped back in at the horse stables where they had a large covered area with some tables set up. It was time for a soda. I pulled in first, right up to the curb and at a slight angle to lean my bike properly into the uphill slope. Came to a complete stop, killed the engine, grabbed the front brake hard, spaced my feet properly (so I thought) and leaned forward so my wife could dismount. I don't know what went wrong after this, but it felt like she had her entire weight on the left side (uphill side) peg and was leaning outward. I couldn't hold the bike straight, it started to lean, and lean, and lean, and lean until there was absolutely no way II could recover or regroup. And down I went. Not hard, nothing got broken and I suffered no injuries, but I was thoroughly embarrassed and flustered. I promptly picked the bike back up, caught my breath and set the side stand. Now this in itself is a milestone for me as this is the largest displacement motorcycle I have ever had to pick up from being laid over. It shook the wife up a bit, she didn't fall, she was already off the bike when I fell, but she didn't like seeing me fall.

Anyhow, we drank our Pepsis, chatted for a bit, then rode back into town for ice cream. Even with the fall, it was a great ride and I'm looking forward to the next outing.

Sure glad you and your wife are ok and the bike is not damaged.

86er came up with a site rule for those who drop thier bikes...

you might want to ask him what it is......:whistling:...........:mo money:

Yeah, it's amazing what you can pick up when something like that happens.

Been there done that and done it more than once.

I make my wife sit still until I get the stand down before letting her dismount and sometimes I get off first.

When you ride as long as I have you invent new ways to dismount a bike and some of them hurt.

Glad to hear you are fine.

BOO

Guest seuadr

interesting little walkthrough on how to pick up the bike, haven't seen that one before.

i use the "power of fatass" method.

i put my foot on the protruding peg, grab the handlebar as close to the middle as possible, stand up on the peg, and lean back :p

you are legally required to yell " by the power of fatass! " when you use this method, however :big-grin-emoticon:

of course, i've seen it done this way, too:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4LopvgztUY]YouTube - Raffaele de Rosas Amazing Recovery[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEYA2072YmE]YouTube - Amazing recovery by a motorcyclist[/ame]

Edited by seuadr

I agree its the wifes fault. Ive doen this twice and it was never my fault either. Once 20 years ago My boy was on the back and when leaving a Ice cream stand he shifted in the seat and my foot sliped on some sand over we went. then once when my X was giving me a problem I forgot to lower the sidestand when getting off the bike. :confused24:

I'm not sure why you're embarrassed, this incident was clearly caused by the wife.:stirthepot:

It's amazing how easy they are to pick up when the adrenaline's pumping.

I agree!;)

And yes, adrenalin can be a wonderful thing. It can cause your friends to say "and he lifted it with one hand!"

How did you pick the bike up????

I hope you used the method shwon in the Ride Like A Pro DVDs or by Skert at her web site HERE

I might have tried that method were I 5'3" tall and weighed 113 pounds. But I satnd 6' 7.5" tall and weigh 220. If I get down low enough to put my butt aganst the seat, I'll need help getting my butt back up.;)