IGNORED

1989 VR Popping Out Of 2nd Gear!

I have been working on a 1989 Venture Royale with a lot of problems and I need some help on the transmission. When under medium to hard acceleration this VR pops out of second gear. Is the fix the same as on the MKI 83' to 85' VR's or is there a different problem? I haven't run into an MKII that has had tranny problems other than a slipping clutch. Can anyone please help me with this? :confused24:

Thanks in advance,

Earl

First two questions I'd ask is how many miles on the bike and what kind of riding was it done under. Was it a lot of stop and go with a lot of clutch action. Its not inconcievable that even the harden spacer upgrade couldn't wear thin under certain conditions. Especially considering that there was never any major redesign of the 1st gen tranny after this upgrade was put into effect.:detective:

I have been working on a 1989 Venture Royale with a lot of problems and I need some help on the transmission. When under medium to hard acceleration this VR pops out of second gear. Is the fix the same as on the MKI 83' to 85' VR's or is there a different problem? I haven't run into an MKII that has had tranny problems other than a slipping clutch. Can anyone please help me with this? :confused24:

Thanks in advance,

Earl

The repair is the same procedure if not the same parts. It could be the washer being worn but chances are the fork is bent and the dogs are now rounded. Either way the motor needs pulled and split for the repair. Once inside, the culprit parts can be assessed.

Dick

I'll throw one in there too. I'll be posting it on another thread, just throwing it in here too. Big Dude (Mike) has an 86 that has a stripped gear noise. He did a hole shot, went to grab second and it left him, he thought he missed a shift, went to 3rd, still grinding. will barely pull itself, we pulled the swingarm and the pinion is fine, checked the clutch and everything is OK there (PCW upgrade). Dropped the oil pan, nothing in there. The only thing I can think is to pull it and split the cases.

Think we got something going on here?

Dan

Greetings...

My 89 has on occasion, popped out of 2nd gear under very heavy accel - The delaminating kind of accel...

Maybe 3-4 times over the course of the last year. But I've always chocked it up to a bad/weak shift on my part. I bent my shifter lever last summer, and it's a little higher than it should be. It's always happened really quickly, never after getting a good long pull in 2nd...

Maybe it's something that simple for you too?

Most likely the Shift Fork is bent a little Bit, the Fork is worn a little bit at the Tips and the Dogs are not sharp anymore. While riding under Stop and Go Traffic a Lot, the Shift Drum isn't also the best anymore. It's a Combination of everything. The Thrust Washer won't be the Main Culprit, but I'd replace them anyway.

In the 1300....most all the dogs are undercut. But they can get rounded off. If the dogs don't get in deep enough. There is a potential for "popping" out. I always shift very deliberate and hold the lever up even after releasing the clutch. I have never had it pop out once,even at the drags...knock on wood 72k. But if you have a very repeatable issue, the fork could be bent or very worn. But these are very hard bits to wear out. Or you have a 1200 engine w/1300 case covers on it...