IGNORED

Windshield and Ventilation

Hey Guys,

I BADLY need some of your wise counsel. I'm the happy owner of a new '09 Venture having just traded off my '07 FJR (Quantum Shift:happy34:). This is my first full boat tourer. For MANY years I've gripped and moaned about windnoise, buffeting, etc. My FEEJER was terrible for that -great bike though...

Anyway, you've heard it said "be careful what you wish for". Well I wanted a bike with a quiet ride and good wind protection. Boy, did I ever get it in the Venture. Problem is, on a hot sunny day (96 here in the sun today) I thought I was gonna die from heat exhaustion. I wear a full vented jacket in hot weather, but behind the Venture's shield I got ZIP in the way of airflow. Great when it's cool (last evening) but way to hot today:fiddle:. I badly need additional air flow. It looks like the answer would be a shorter shield, but, how short? I'm 5'11" and am looking through the top 4 inches or so of the existing shield. Any thoughts, ideas, suggestions for HOT weather riding? THANKS in advance!

Some of the guys put in vents on the sides of the windshield. I've seen Squidley put them in before. Also you can always get a new windshield with a vent in it from clearview. The hubby said you may get some water when it rains but I guess it's a compromise if you want the extra air flow. Good luck.

Also the baker air wings will give you more wind since you can adjust them for airflow direction.

Margaret

I picked up a set of Baker Air Wings last week at the Americade and after my first ride with them, I wonder why I didn't install them long before this. I had a set on my 1st Gen but they wouldn't fit this one. The bottom section does a real fine job for the legs and the top 3rd helps with the seat area. I don't see any difference for the upper extremities but that's where the shorter windshield with vents would help. In stop and go traffic, though, forget about it!! I don't care what you ride or with what accessories you've got, your butt is gonna fry!! It took me 20 mins to install the Bakers. Brian

thanks guys, please keep the suggestions coming.

I picked up a set of Baker Air Wings last week at the Americade and after my first ride with them, I wonder why I didn't install them long before this. I had a set on my 1st Gen but they wouldn't fit this one. The bottom section does a real fine job for the legs and the top 3rd helps with the seat area. I don't see any difference for the upper extremities but that's where the shorter windshield with vents would help. In stop and go traffic, though, forget about it!! I don't care what you ride or with what accessories you've got, your butt is gonna fry!! It took me 20 mins to install the Bakers. Brian

Brian, do you have to drill to install the Bakers or are the bolt on? (Hate to drill a brand new bike).

also, how do ya get the chrome trim off, intact, to access the windshield screws to change out a shield?

THANKS!

Ok.. here is what I have learned about riding in the heat.

1) Vent in the wind shield is a good thing. It helps a lot.

2) The yamaha lower vents are a good thing. Helps cool when hot and shields the wind when cold.

3) Clothing... I have ridden with sleeveless shirts etc. The hot sun baking on your skin is much hotter than being covered. What is best to wear? There are two ways to go. A) Long sleeved, light weight and white. B) A sleeveless tee under a full ballistic mesh armored riding jacket. I prefer the riding jacket. Not black. I wear a MotoBoss.

4) Footwear... Leather is great for protection but very hot on the tootsies. I wear Bates ballistic upper, leather lower, rubber soled riding boots. Good protection with good air flow.

The single best way to cool your feet is using hiway pegs. Get you feet away from the motor and out into the air.

Today I rode from Kerrville Texas to Houston. Thats about 250 miles. The sunny temp ranged from 85 at departure to about 102 at arrival. We only broke a sweat when stopped for fuel or hung up in very slow traffic. By the way the bike was heavily loaded with passenger and gear. The hills were no issue and the venture never complained. Averaged about 37mpg.

Thats my 2 cents worth, your mileage may vary.

I'm sure some will disagree with me, they usually do.

Enjoy the ride! :scorched:

Edited by Owen

thank you ALL for your input and suggestions. Right now I'm thinking a shorter Clearview w/vent, plus the yamaha lowers.

I typically wear a Hi-Viz Olympia Bushwhacker vented jacket and Airglide pants over a tee shirt and jeans. Never (EVER) before had a motorcycle that had too MUCH weather protection:256:! I'd like to keep the bike quiet and calm (no buffeting) while still getting some air through the jacket. I thought about a cooling vest, but unless you go with the high buck models with circulating pump ya gotta have SOME air flow to get evaporation.

Any and all additional suggestions GREATLY appreciated!

By the by, the Venture is an absolutely GREAT bike. I love it and if I can get this overheating of the body thing whipped, it is going to be outstanding!

thanks guys, please keep the suggestions coming.

Brian, do you have to drill to install the Bakers or are the bolt on? (Hate to drill a brand new bike).

also, how do ya get the chrome trim off, intact, to access the windshield screws to change out a shield?

THANKS!

No drilling! The set comes with a classy pair of 1 in. clamps that go to your engine crash guards. My Kuryakin pegs are also mounted to these same clamps since I felt there was not enough room to have both sets of clamps one above the other. It would interfere with my shifting lever.

No drilling! The set comes with a classy pair of 1 in. clamps that go to your engine crash guards. My Kuryakin pegs are also mounted to these same clamps since I felt there was not enough room to have both sets of clamps one above the other. It would interfere with my shifting lever.

BTW, here are a few pix of the install:

thanks for the info Brian! looks good. Now, what about changing out that windshield? How DOES that chrome trim come off??

I've switched off shields a few times. Just kind of pull up on the chrome strip, pops right off.Up along the windshield axis not out away from the shield. Be careful about the tabs they say. Never had any problem with mine breaking though.

There are two Allen head bolts on either end of the inside of the fairing at the top. Those hold the chrome strip on.

FWIW, I'll add my two cents for hot weather riding since I do my fair share. :) I'm blessed not only because I live in Hawaii but that I also live on the Big Island which has the most diverse climate in a given area in all of the world. We have 11 of Earth's 13 climates right here. That includes deserts and arctic tundra!

Using the post in the tech forum that outlines how to add circular vents in the windshield I added two about a year ago. It's hot riding through a lava desert (black rock!) with very high surface temps. I needed some airflow especially since I have the largest windscreen available through Yamaha.

Those two vents don't do a whole lot when opened though. So I just took to removing them. The airflow through is quite pleasant and keeps me cool in town and through the desert regions. If I see rain I just pop them back in. Takes a couple of seconds.

Best part of the mod was the price. Less than $30 if I recall.

If I was to do it again, I would only add one and put it right in the middle. Less cost and less measuring to make sure the two holes are even. :happy34:

Edited by Monsta

Thanks Monsta! Found the bolts right where you said they'd be. I'm going to see if I can find the thread on adding the vents. I really like the weather protection the stock shield gives, but BOY does it get HOT behind that puppy on a bright sunny Kentucky afternoon!

Must be tough being "stuck" in paradise:happy65:

The vents sound like they'd be the ticket! Thanks again!

The round vents you're looking for are called "Snap Air Vents." Using info found on this forum, I purchased them from Aircraft Spruce & Specialty Co. Click here to see the vents for sale on the Aircraft Spruce site; you want part # CC-3251.

I also put in the Goldwing vent. Works great - no water leakage in the rain - as long as you close it. Had a few bugs make it thru unscathed tho. Be sure to mark the location with the windshield on the bike and allow for the up slope on the top of the dash. I taped the bottom of the windshield w/ masking tape, marked the vent with a felt tip pen, drilled 4 small holes in the corners. If you cut it out with a sabre saw - have some one mist the blade w/ water as you cut - you get a cleaner cut that way.

thanks all! I ordered a set of the snap vents this morning from Spruce. I'm gonna give them a shot. If that doesn't cut it I can always go with a shorter shield, baker wings, etc.

Weird problem though.... first motorcycle in more than 40 years riding that gave me too MUCH weather protection! I've been cold and wet on bikes for years, but NEVER had too little airflow:happy-emoticon:

Don't know whether or not it was mentioned or whether you would want to do it, but a quick fix to get more airflow is to take the fork deflectors off. You can also pull the clear lower deflectors at the bottom of the fairing. That will allow wind to flow over your legs and get blown up onto your body.

I have the short clearview on and love it. You will not need a vent if you go with the short one. Plenty of airflow around it. Keep your original windshield though for winter/cooler weather riding.

I've just installed a low low short windscreen, just the ones you see on the HD *-Glides.. Face full of wind but cool lookin..

Don't mind the wind in the face stuff IF it's without buffeting and excessive wind noise. I just traded off my 07 FJR which was a great bike seriously handicapped by incredible buffeting and windnoise with the stock shield ('course I tried LOTS of other shields 'till I found one that worked ok for me:thumbsup2:. One of the great things about the Venture (in addition to the good ergo's for me and the bride) is the QUIET ride. How is it with the shorty shield?