IGNORED

What should I be looking for on this 89???

I'm getting ready to drive 3+ hours to go look at a 1989 that has 20K miles on it.

Never owned one of these bikes before so any input is much appreciated.

The bike looks really clean and in great shape. But other than that who knows.

He's asking $3500 and sounds like he's willing to move just a tad but not much.

I'd really appreciate any wisdom from those who have been there before me. I probably have to ride it home so I am a bit wary since it has not been riden much in the last couple years.

Thanks to all.

Chris

If you're going to ride it home you need to have a really close look at tires, brake fluid, all the lights and horn work etc.

By 89 Yamaha had most of the kinks worked out of what started out as a very good machine. They do seem to be a bit prone to pinion gear failures at both ends of the drive shaft - the machine will still go but there will be bearing noise that changes on accel and decel.

Otherwise, they have the standard 80s Yamaha fuse block and stator plug that will fail. Easy fixes but not good on a 3 hour ride.

Hey Chris,

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your "new to you " 89'VR! Micarl has listed some valid items especially the tires. My check list for driving a used bike home is as follows:

Bike starts and runs smoothly (If this is not the case, $3700.00 is a high price to pay. use this point to get him to lower the price.)

Condition of tires (are there cracks in the sidewalls, are they way under inflated, if so, 1 up unloaded 38 front 40 rear will do)

Make sure the front and rear brakes are functional (these are big dollar items to repair/replace if either is not functioning, get him to lower the price)

Check the function of all lights (if not working you run the risk of getting a ticket on the way home, i.e. get him to lower the price)

Check oil level (right side of bike, ahead of foot peg, in front of water pump, there is a window, 1/2 way up the glass with bike level, on center stand is best, you will need a flashlight.)

Ask the seller to put the bike on the center stand (if he can't, ask him to lower the price)

Check amp meter (upper right side of dash, if you rev the bike to 3000 or better, needle on gage should show a charge, if not ask him to lower the price)

This last item is more of a mindset that a check item, I am going to cut thru the BS and say it like it is,

You are looking to buy a 22 year old used bike for pretty close to top dollar, If I found 2 or more of the above items to be sub-standard and the seller was not willing to come down on the price (more like $3000.00 than $3700.00) then I would have it in my mind to walk away. I can assure you that this bike is going to $100.00 you to death even if it is a $3700.00 bike. If you pay $3700.00 and it turns out to be a $2500.00 bike, it's going to $200.00 you to death! Have your game plan in your mind before you get there and don't get caught up in the "thrill of the moment" so to speak. Even if everything I listed is messed up if he will sell it for $2000.00 then we can help you fix it up, but don't pay full boat for a bike that is not worth it. Calling a turd a rose doesn't make it smell any better.

Just my thoughts on this subject, for what they are worth.

Earl

One more thing to look for, after the mechanical part is to look at the fairing/sides/plastic in general. Look at the bottom part of the trunk, they are notorious for cracking there. Also around the stereo/CB. Pull all the little black screw covers off and look in each crevice. This won't affect the ride, but it will affect your pocketbook when you start to try to fix them. Take off or look under the leather bags on the front fairing they crack right there also. The mechanical stuff will keep you from riding it home, but the asthetic stuff will be something you beat yourself up over if you don't check it. Mine looked perfect to me when I bought it, but when I got it home I had to rebuild 4 of the broken little tabs that held the CB/air shock controls in place. Nothing that can't be fixed, but a dang good bargaining point for a bike that is on the high side of the book value. I paid $3400 for mine with 18,000 miles on it and he had replaced tires/stator/front and rear brakes/rotors/and all the cables. I got lucky and I hope you do too. I still get offers to sell mine on a regular basis so the market for them is good. Good luck

I'm an ASE certified mechanic but have never worked on bikes that much.

What's involed in or cost for card synch, valve adjustments?, air ride compressor? etc.

I know the air ride needs something as he said he had to add air manually, now whether or not it holds air is another thing!

Thanks

The carbtune should be no problem you may want to get one if you don't have one though. Here's the link for the morgan carbtune with the exchange rate its a bargain now. Plus I'll add a link to where the guys were talking about it.

http://www.carbtune.com/

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=175

Since you're already a mechanic the valve's shouldn't be a problem for you either. As my husband says a motor is a motor don't matter what it's in they all do the same thing.

As for your air ride depends on what's wrong with it exactly and evidently this guy doesn't know. Might want to check into who's close by to where your getting this bike in case you need help if you get it. Sometimes it just needs a bit of resoldering on the circuit board.

Good luck. Oh and welcome to the family.

Margaret

thanks, I was more concerned with how hard it was to actually get at the valves in order to adjust them and if the adjustment specs and procedure was readily available online.

Thanks to everyone.

I see there is some kind of ride in July that comes through Georgia, what's it all about?

WHO is the SELLER?? anyone on this or the 'other' site!!!------------take some of the plastic OFF and check fer DRIED grease around the [all valve covers} front and back!!!!!:thumbsup2::usa:u will b able to tell if it has recent or many moons ago valve cover leaks--------just my 2 shekels

:thumbdown:Well,

After spending 3 days back and forth on email and the phone and after I rented a trailer and imposed upon a nieghbor to drive me 3hrs each direction the guys just calls and leaves a message that he sold it. What a jerk, I even called this morning telling him I was going to the bank and that I would be there in the morning.

Why are people so inconsiderate.

Sorry to hear that. The ride in July is to Asheville NC July 10th weekend. You're more then welcome to come along and meet everyone that'll be there. We did a longer get together last year in Asheville but there's the international and Vogel in Aug. Here's the link to the thread on that.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=35542&highlight=mini+Asheville

Hope you can make it.

Margaret

After spending 3 days back and forth on email and the phone and after I rented a trailer and imposed upon a nieghbor to drive me 3hrs each direction the guys just calls and leaves a message that he sold it. What a jerk, I even called this morning telling him I was going to the bank and that I would be there in the morning.

That sucks, but at least he called you before you hit the road.

Get excited!! He probably saved you a lot of headache. That wasn't the right bike for you and the perfect match is just waiting for you to find it. I had an '89 and absolutely loved it so keep looking and the right one will show up. It's a karma thing. People and their bikes just have a way of finding eachother.:Venture:

Get excited!! He probably saved you a lot of headache. That wasn't the right bike for you and the perfect match is just waiting for you to find it. I had an '89 and absolutely loved it so keep looking and the right one will show up. It's a karma thing. People and their bikes just have a way of finding eachother.:Venture:

I have to agree with loehring on this, sometimes it is just not ment to be and you just have to tell yourself that evidently it was better this way. There are several pretty good 1st gens out there and most any of us would help check them out for you if we can. Sometimes people get rid of them because they know little about them and here you have a huge bank of information and help to draw from.

RandyA

Welcome to the forum and here is where members can help you . About two weeks a go i posted a listing here for a friends bike up here in New York State. This bike was going for about the same price and has every available option and then some. It only has 35k on it and only a few little blemishes. The front fender was repaired but until it was pointed out I hadn't noticed it. The bike is super clean and was well maintained Its a Burgundy and red 89 you can call the owner at 315-539-5028 . You may still be an owner yet. Good Luck.