IGNORED

Driveshaft. Is there a trick to it

You are refering to the end by the engine? If so, I use a metal fly swatter handle. Rest the U-joint on the handle part of the swatter. Feed it down the tube. It helps support the end of the shaft and helps keep it from droping down past the spines. It is not a quick fix but a hell of a lot better than what you are trying to do. Don't ask how I know.

There is a small opening above the spline thats capped with a plastic plug. it might offer some leverage. If your trying to put the shaft in while its attached to the rear housing, forget it. It does take some finessing and a delicate feel. Try and slide the shaft up the tube and gently bump the spline, which will be facing downward. Once you feel contact, gently lift up the shaft to try and raise the spline at the same time while gently pushing the shaft in. It may/will take a bunch of tries. Took me 45 minutes the first time, 2 minutes the next. And make sure you have the spring in place at the end of the shaft prior to putting on the rear housing. Dont ask.....

Above all, have patience...walk away when getting frustrated. It helps. Also, before you torque the rear housing into place, install the rear axle first to properly align the housing.

LoL I have an '07 also. The first time I did it, it took me 6 hours on and off! Because I was tired and aggravated. I did it yesterday twice and it took a few seconds.

This works for me... pick the diff end up and the front end down until it bumps the u-joint spline then lift the front while you are pushing in. You may have to use a screwdriver to go in through the speedo pickup hole to rotate the gear a bit.

There is a grey plastic plug just above the ujoint that will give you access to reach in with a piece of wire and lift the ujoint if needed. You have to remove the side cover to do that.

My best advice... relax. :thumbsup2:

I am sorry to hi-jack this thread, but what is the difference between Molly 60 from Oreily`s auto parts and the Molly 60 from Honda?? besides about $12.00...

I recomend lifting the U-Joint spline with a magnet, thur the hole listed above, to get the dirve shaft to slide in easly.

BTW, Did you use Honda Moly60 grease on your splines?????

There is a small opening above the spline thats capped with a plastic plug. it might offer some leverage. If your trying to put the shaft in while its attached to the rear housing, forget it. It does take some finessing and a delicate feel. Try and slide the shaft up the tube and gently bump the spline, which will be facing downward. Once you feel contact, gently lift up the shaft to try and raise the spline at the same time while gently pushing the shaft in. It may/will take a bunch of tries. Took me 45 minutes the first time, 2 minutes the next. And make sure you have the spring in place at the end of the shaft prior to putting on the rear housing. Dont ask.....

Above all, have patience...walk away when getting frustrated. It helps. Also, before you torque the rear housing into place, install the rear axle first to properly align the housing.

For me, exactley what

Ruffy said. I tried several times with the wire and no luck, but

I had a wire with just a bend in one end.

I am sorry to hi-jack this thread, but what is the difference between Molly 60 from Oreily`s auto parts and the Molly 60 from Honda?? besides about $12.00...

Who manufactures the Molly 60 from the auto parts store??? Does it say Moly grease or actually say Moly 60 on the tube????

If it is Moly Grease it is probably just 3% Moly....

Post the manufactures name and part number so MAYBE we can find the MSDS on it or find it at the manufacturers web site to see if they sate the percentage of moly in the grease.

BTW teh Honda Moly60 can be bought at a Honda or Acura CAR parts counter for under $10 and I have seen it as low as $6.85 for the 3 oz tube. a tube will probably last the life of the motorcycle!!!!!!!! you should be using small amounts. apply with an toothbrush or acid brush with the bristles cut off to about 1/4 inch long. SMALL AMOUNTS of this stuff goes a LONG WAY!!! Don't over lubricate!!!!!

because I'm curious, at what point does the shaft NEED greased ??

As soon as you purchase the bike, as the factory did not apply the correct lubricant......

And like FuzzyRSTD said, every time you have the rear tire off would be a good time as you are already mosty there..... you might do some preventive maintenance.

Use Honda Moly60!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 60% Moly!!!!!!!!!