IGNORED

Maximum Gas Fill-up You've Done?

awsmsrv

I don't know how to create a poll, but, I'm curious as to the biggest fill-up you've had. A couple times I've done more than 5.8 gallons,but, today was my biggest: 5.976 Gallons.

Talk about running on fumes! Guess you could say I just about maxed out the available gas. And some say you can't get 6 gallons in the tank.

Left the dealership where I bought my 05 RSTD last month and less than 2 miles down the road I am trying to figured out why I'm sputtering and running rough. Put the tank on "Res" and it worked well. 5.121 gallon fill up took care of the problem. Next trip to the dealership I mentioned it to the GM and got a free top off. So far thats the most gas I have had to put in the bike.

I don't know how to create a poll, but, I'm curious as to the biggest fill-up you've had. A couple times I've done more than 5.8 gallons,but, today was my biggest: 5.976 Gallons.

Talk about running on fumes! Guess you could say I just about maxed out the available gas. And some say you can't get 6 gallons in the tank.

So, how far did you go on Reserve? Always wondered what the ballpark number was.

I always run quite a ways into reserve - usually at least 20 miles. I know I can get at least 40 miles on reserve under almost any conditions, and 60 if I slow down. But watch out for 80mph and a surprise headwind! Hit that yesterday and found 35 miles was max available on reserve!

I have put 5.8 and 5.9 gallons in a couple of times, but usually I fill up and take between 5 and 5.5 gallons. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

Guest seuadr

man you guys and your huge tanks!

my GS only has a 4.5 gallon tank.. i've got 4.3 gallons a couple times but that is all i have the stones for :D

looking foreward to getting that larger tank with the 1st gen i am on the brink of buying.

just waiting for uncle sam to hold up his end of the deal.

My RSTD has a different tank, so it isn't a fair comparison on volume. This last time I probably put 35 miles on reserve. I leave it reserve now and don't even think about gas until I am 30 miles pass the low fuel indicator. Since I did the filler neck venting mod this past fillup, I'll probably increase that to 40 miles.

My RSTD has a different tank, so it isn't a fair comparison on volume. This last time I probably put 35 miles on reserve. I leave it reserve now and don't even think about gas until I am 30 miles pass the low fuel indicator. Since I did the filler neck venting mod this past fillup, I'll probably increase that to 40 miles.

Don't do that Dave! Venting the filler neck makes it easier to fill the tank to the very top, giving you more miles BEFORE you hit reserve. But it doesn't do a thing to change how much gas is left at the bottom of the tank!

Goose

Don't do that Dave! Venting the filler neck makes it easier to fill the tank to the very top, giving you more miles BEFORE you hit reserve. But it doesn't do a thing to change how much gas is left at the bottom of the tank!

Goose

Whoops! :doh: Thanks for the warning! :Avatars_Gee_George:

Dave

First gens have a 5.3 gallon tank. Any more than that and the station is pouring a short gallon, and you're getting screwed. Gas volume will expand when it gets hot out of the pump and will take less to fill'r up. I generally run 150 miles, and start looking for a station. Not because I need gas... I have to pee..... :rotf:

Most I've done is 5.5 gallons. I'm curious about everyone's filling procedures.

On the stand or straight up?

To the bottom of the long neck, or add some extra??

I've always wondered where they calculated the 6 gallons from, but fortunately I've never found the bottom...yet...

Later, Scooter Bob

I like to stop at every 100-125 miles and top off . I will NOT go to the running on fumes stage ! Several reasons I make frequent stops . One , give the wife and I a chance to stretch the legs , she gets herself a smoke break , and I look over the scoot , get a drink . Second and most important .You have at least a half a tank or more of good gas , then top off . If I am on fumes and stop to get a full tank of fuel , that gas may be BAD ! So if I fill up on a half of tank , top off with possible bad gas , I can still get down the road even if the scoot runs poorly . Rather than none at all if gas is extremely bad .

Just coming home yesterday from MD , stopped to get gas . Another biker yelled to me from the front door , " DO NOT GET THE PREMIUM GAS, It's FULL OF WATER" !!!!!! Sure enough he just had pumped out his tanks and showed me the bucket and water was standing on top of the gas pretty thick. I offered him some Seafoam just in case he did not get all the fuel out and he accepted . Nice guy , even though he was on a HD .

BEER30

Sure enough he just had pumped out his tanks and showed me the bucket and water was standing on top of the gas pretty thick. I offered him some Seafoam just in case he did not get all the fuel out and he accepted . Nice guy , even though he was on a HD .

BEER30

Neat trick, since water is heavier than gas. That's why even crude oil makes a slick on top of the water.

Goose

Sure enough he just had pumped out his tanks and showed me the bucket and water was standing on top of the gas pretty thick. I offered him some Seafoam just in case he did not get all the fuel out and he accepted . Nice guy , even though he was on a HD .

BEER30

Ummm??? I thought that if water were heavier than gas it would sink to the bottom of the tank?? That's why tanks rust out... And since the pickup is on the bottom of the tank, any water at all will make a mess of things. Maybe the gas was floating on top of the water?? Which would make for a LOT of water...

• 1 month later...
man you guys and your huge tanks!

my GS only has a 4.5 gallon tank.. i've got 4.3 gallons a couple times but that is all i have the stones for :D

looking foreward to getting that larger tank with the 1st gen i am on the brink of buying.

just waiting for uncle sam to hold up his end of the deal.

Hey SEUADR,

My first "big bike" was a GS 1100GK. I thought I was in heaven. Wasn't long before I got my first GW, but I really liked that bike.

Running in the UP during the MN1000 rally at about 10:00. Few of the stations up there have pay-at-the-pump and I hit reserve going to a bonus location. Checked the Garmin and it pointed to 2 stations - each about 15 miles away. I knew one of them was closed because I had just passed that way and wanted to get gas.

Headed towards the other and hoped they were open. Dropped the speed to 45 mph to improve mileage and made it there at 10:20. They were closing at 10:30 and did not have pay-at-the-pump.

Put in 5.7 gallons. Too close for comfort. To have missed that station would have screwed the whole rally for me.

RR