IGNORED

"Jumped" a bike with a car

GuthDaddy17

I sold my Honda CBR 929RR friday to a young man. :happy34:He called me last night and said the bike would turn over but was not getting any fire. :fiddle:He then told me that he had left the ignition switch on overnight and the battery was dead the following morning.:innocent: With the advise of his buddy, he used a car to jump the bike but while it turned over, it never started. :puzzled: He then put the battery on a trickle charge overnight but it still will not start even just on bike battery. :think: What did he mess up? Stater? Regulator? Ignition? Any input would be appreciated!:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

I've jumped many a bike with a car.. never had a problem... I've also jumped my old truck a few times with my bike, and also my wife's car... once again, never a problem... I'm wondering if there is something else wrong...

What ever happened to "sold as is"?

A wise man once told me to never jump a bike from car, if the engine is running. Always jump a bike from a vehicle that has the engine off, or just jump from a battery removed from vehicle. Is this good advise?

I sold my Honda CBR 929RR friday to a young man. :happy34:He called me last night and said the bike would turn over but was not getting any fire. :fiddle:He then told me that he had left the ignition switch on overnight and the battery was dead the following morning.:innocent: With the advise of his buddy, he used a car to jump the bike but while it turned over, it never started. :puzzled: He then put the battery on a trickle charge overnight but it still will not start even just on bike battery. :think: What did he mess up? Stater? Regulator? Ignition? Any input would be appreciated!:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

Check all of the fuses.

A wise man once told me to never jump a bike from car, if the engine is running. Always jump a bike from a vehicle that has the engine off, or just jump from a battery removed from vehicle. Is this good advise?

It doesn't matter. Cars and bikes are both 12volt systems. Some will say the amperage of the car battery will hurt the bike, but that's not true. The bike will only draw as much amperage as it needs to start.

Unless the battery was fairly new, I suspect that a complete drawdown on the battery may have ruined it. Also, a trickle charger will not charge up a dead battery.

As far as starting, since he did not have any experience starting this bike, he may have flooded it. Once flooded, he may have to replace the spark plugs.

The first thing he needs to do is make sure the plugs are getting fire.

RandyA

The guy I bought my venture from tried jump starting it the day I bought it. He fried the starter which I had to replace. I verified this by trying to jump it from the positive post directly on the starter. this bypasses your switches and relays. if you don't get anything, it's fried.

I think the danger in jumping a MC from a car battery comes when you let the starter run too long or too much, overheat it, and possibly damage the windings & insulation. Short bursts should be ok from the car battery.

I've never heard of having to replace spark plugs because of a flooded engine. If I suspect I've flooded an engine, ie: used a full choke a couple times without getting the engine to run, I just stop for a few minutes to let excess fuel work out of the combustion chamber, and off the plugs. If the plugs have lots of blackish buildup after normal running, then either one needs to adjust the carbs (jets) to get a leaner mixture, or run a hotter plug, or both.

http://www.gixxer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=226570

Did you sell your bike to this guy?

You HAVE to read the first 33 posts.

Warning, this is a sportbike forum. Please adjust your IQ down approximately 40 points before reading.

Well, i got a very good Laugh out of that. :crackup::crackup::crackup::crackup::crackup:

But it leaves one Question. How did you come over that Thread and in such a Forum ??

http://www.gixxer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=226570

Did you sell your bike to this guy?

You HAVE to read the first 33 posts.

Warning, this is a sportbike forum. Please adjust your IQ down approximately 40 points before reading.

All I can say is... wow. I actually took the time to read all of the guys posts in the thread. You can't calibrate stupid, but it is compressable.